Probably 99% of anime fantards (such as myself) have heard someone call anime "a cartoon."
Whenever I hear this, I explode with reasons the two could not possibly be any different!
Here is the list of reasons I have in case anyone else runs into this argument by chance:
1. Anime is from Japan, and ONLY Japan... Cartoons are dumped here from everywhere else.
2. Anime is for all ages; Cartoons are either for practically four year olds or forty year olds, with nothing decent inbetween.
3. ANIME MAKES PEOPLE CRY. DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS CRIED BECAUSE OF ADVENTURE TIME?! NO, YOU DON'T.
4. Anime contains realistic proportions and natural movements. Sorry Nickelodeon, but most people can't flip crabby-patties like that.
5. I have never seen a cartoon with a larger fanbase than that of an animes (aside from MLP: FiM but that's pretty okay if you've ever seen it). People don't fill up whole forums talking about last nights ep of Total Drama Island.
Thanks for reading, and if you do like any of the shows I sorta made fun of, sorry in advance, its just there to prove my point