Barbie Movies What's your LEAST favorite Barbie Movie and why?

CleoCorinne posted on Jun 12, 2011 at 07:10PM
Please tell me if this forum post is already here...

BTW, my least favorite BM is Fashion Fairytale, because it has nothing to teach us and because it's too fashion oriented... It needed a more interesting plot, I think...
Also, Barbie isn't Kelly, but Diana
Please tell me if this forum post is already here...

BTW, my least favorite BM is Fashion Fairytal
last edited on Jun 12, 2011 at 07:12PM

Barbie Movies 6 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago MajorAbbey said…
cool
Hmmm.... tough one, actually. I'd say my least favourite Barbie movie is either MT or FS. At the moment, I can't decide which one is worse.

Why? Well, in MT, we at least have KMS, some good surfing scenes and Eris. The real problem I have with MT is Oceana, and it's a huge problem. We're supposed to hope Merliah saves this place. I don't. This makes it hard to root for Merliah, for me. It really, really doesn't help that the newer Barbie films seem intent on copying this place... oh, and we're going to have to hope it gets saved AGAIN pretty soon...

FS has some good side characters (Zane, Reena and Lord Gastrous) and a decent message, but the decent message is buried under what, in my opinion, are the worst aspects of the modern Barbie movies. Focus on Barbie's acting career? Check. Heavy emphasis on fashion? Check. Trying to be as culturally relevent as possible? Check. And it's hard to root for Barbie in this one, too; in fact, it's even harder because I actually liked Merliah a bit. Barbie, in this movie, comes across as being "the girl who has everything" and it's hard to sympathise with her. No wonder I preferred Raquelle.
over a year ago MJsValentine said…
tongue
Well, my least favourite Barbie movies are MT, FF and FS. I suppose I can only choose one? Ok, I'll pick a random one and it's...FS.

So...where should I begin?

Mattel's misinterpretation of fashion. Fashion itself isn't a bad thing. In fact it's a way of expressing yourself, similar to music or any other form of art. As a wise women from France once said, 'Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.' Mattel has interpreted it as in wearing short skirts, ugly boots and tons of glitter.

Ok, that's one thing. Next thing which annoys the living daylight out of me is the protagonist. I really despise her. Barbie is nothing more than the every day teenage brat (excuse my language). She isn't heroic and hasn't got the attributes of a true heroine. She isn't that type of character I would look up to. Yet she is portrayed as the perfect loved-by-every-one girl, as shown in her rivalry with Raquelle, especially at the premiere scene. That kind of characters don’t send a good light to the youth out there. It gives them the impression that they have to be loved by everyone and to be perfect in every matter.

So let's move on...Barely nothing happens in the movie. It is rushed and one event after the other occurs. There's no suspense and I didn't really feel the climax of the movie. Did you? There was no moment in the movie in which you have the feeling that the tables are going to be turned around. I mean, it was pretty obvious that Barbie is going to save Ken, of course.

The ending of the movie was terrible. "Oh I had a dream". So whatever occurred in the movie (which was very little) didn't have any relevance at all, meaning that the movie was quite pointless. Of course, Barbie and Raquelle had to remain friends.

Which leads us to the fact that movie has no real moral. It isn't sending a message out either.

So...those are basically my primary reasons why I don't like FS. I could go on and on but I don't want you to bore to death.

Oh yeah, two other things which have to be mentioned;
The AHHH-nimation is terrible. My eyes were burning after watching it and the characters look hideous. Second thing, DD is killing me with her high-pitched voice. No offence.
over a year ago Lorinna said…
I don't want to write a lot, to scream a lot... It's just obvious.
I don't want to write a lot, to scream a lot... It's just obvious.
over a year ago MajorAbbey said…
cool
Okay, once again, I agree with what MJsValentine said (this happens a LOT, doesn't it?), but I have to mention this:

"Mattel's misinterpretation of fashion. Fashion itself isn't a bad thing. In fact it's a way of expressing yourself, similar to music or any other form of art. As a wise women from France once said, 'Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.' Mattel has interpreted it as in wearing short skirts, ugly boots and tons of glitter."

This is absolutely perfect. I know I may have said some things suggesting the contrary, but I do agree that fashion is not a bad thing. Heck, I look at fashion magazines from time to time. In fact, this way of thinking is why I tend to cut FF some slack on the fashion department, because at least it focuses on fashion as an art form, particularly with Marie-Alecia and Aunt Millicent. Unfortunately, it also falls into the "glitter = awesome" trap.

The real problem I have with Mattel's portrayal of fashion (besides the fact that short skirts do not equal stylish) is the fact they make it into an obsession. I'm paying particular attention to FS here because it has that problem. In fact, I just realised that the three side characters I mentioned earlier were among the few people in that movie who actually seemed to have lives outside of it.

Oh, and I have to say it; when you suddenly become more interested in the backstory of a pair of minor characters than the plot of the movie you're watching... well, that's not saying much for the movie's plot, is it?
over a year ago corinne17 said…
tongue
Fashion fairytale is my worst Barbie movie.This movie has got too
MUCH glitter on it.Yes,too MUCH glitter.Also,Barbie's face is very weird.You know very big eyes e.t.c.Actually, I think Mattel released this to show us how Barbie's life is in reality.That's the main reason I hate this movie.I mean we dont's see something unusual or exciting happening on it.We only see things of everyday life like Barbie's break up with Ken and the fact that she was fired.But the only one thing that is magical is flairies which I don't like too.Kaarina voices Barbie and that makes the movie way worst.

over a year ago faithinChrist said…
hmmm
Wow, major trend here.
Haha I wouldn't put MT as my least favorite...I'm a huge fan of surfing and that was a big plus. And Kelly was Barbie, and that made it all right. (Oceana was pretty disgusting, though...as well as the "climax" if it can be called that).
But probably FS. Or FF. I did like the way fashion was presented as (like Major Abbey said) an art form, a passion, a hobby. In and of itself, not bad. But in FS, it just seemed like they were all lil' celebs with their Jimmy Choos and front-page movie-premiere "life's-a-party" existance. And the whole "The more totally fabulous my shoes, the more fairy power I have" type-thing irritated me too. Shame, because "Forgivness Lets You Fly" was SUCH a great motto. I can say though, that I thought Barbie's voice was a little more tamed down in FS than FF...not as uber bubbly and high and "Oh My Gosh I Broke A Nail"-ishy, haha.

SO long story short, Fairy Secret is probably my least favorite Barbie movie of all time.