Bones Opinion Article

Why did they take zack off the show?

Opinion by mroxcanada posted over a year ago
If you are one major Bones fan, I hope you can agree with me on this.Everybody loves Dr.B's assistant,Zack,so why did the producers take him off the show? I think it was a REALLY bad idea because everybody loves Zack (I hope). Why couldn't they take somebody else to leave the show? Like sweets ( Sorry if I am offending sweets fans)He could've been Gormagons assistant. But it was pretty suprising to find out Zack was Gormagons assistant,right. If you really like this articale, I hope you respond positively to it, THANKS!!!

shouldnt this be a forum? anyways no specific reason just something the writers went for personally had it been handled better i would have like the story but it seemed a bit of a jumped the shark moment so i wasnt the biggest fan of the story but hey i love sweets

ebathory said:
It was Eric Milligan who wanted to leave the show, so the producers had to write him out somehow. They could have killed him off, I like the Gormagon twist better than that option. And I really don't like Sweets...

i agree with joghooligan101. this should of been a forum. but i think that zach WAS such a sweet and luving person. but killing someone? SO not like zach. but everyone has a bad side.....

He didn't kill anyone ... he's already said that.
And Eric Milligan wanted to leave, so instead of killing him off they kind of gave him the option to come back if he wanted too.
Surely that is better? It's only a TV show. Get over it.

ebathory said:
Lol, totally agree Addicted2TV

zack waz one of my fave pplz!!!! i really wish he hadn't gone off but *shrugs* its what happened

I loved Zach too! Btw Addicted2TV you are wrong. Zach did kill someone..he just never ate him. He killed the lobbyist..stabbed him.

BTW: machailalaine, i'm sorry but ur wrong, zack never killed anyone in season 4 episode 5 "the perfect pieces in the purple pond" at the end. zack told sweets that he never actually killed anyone, he only told the master where to find him. he said he killed the lobbyist because he would go to jail and hodgins assured him, he would not do well in prison. sweets didn't tell bones or booth becos of doctor patient confidentially

Zack joined forces with the Geomorgon man, and killed someone.

Well, I just saw an ep. 100 and I'm so excited about the moment we can see Zack again. My absolutely favourite character. Can't understand, why Eric Millegan wanted to leave the series that brought him such a popularity - but, well, all I can do is to deal with it. But, yes, I'll exchange Sweets (and Daisy - that's a bargain!) for Zack back:)

Purple69 said:
I agree with you. The show wasn't the same without Zack on it.

Zack was my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked out of my skin when he left the show. It was horrible!!!

breadcake said:
There are various reasons that have been stated about Mr Addy's sudden departure.
Firstly, he did not kill anyone, as previously stated, he only told people he had as it got him into the "loony bin" instead of to prison. IF he admitted to anyone that he hadn't killed then he would be incarcerated as an accomplice to murder, and he did tell sweets this, and when sweets wanted to tell the others he played the confidentiality card, pointing out that it was not allowed.
Other sources state that the actor that plays Zach suffers with rapid cycle bi-polar, and this may or may not have contributed to him leaving the show, however apparently Hart Hanson admitted that this was done to increase ratings after the writers strike, again this is from an external source, and I didn't see the piece where he admitted it.
He was brilliant, and despite Zach has spent more time not being in bones than he has spent actually ebing in Bones, and despite it being three seasons ago that he left, he is still missed.
The way he was written out he could never come back as part of the team at the Jeffersonian, not realistically, their reputation is everything to them! Although seen as Hodgins actually is like the main contributor to the funds of the place it could probably be gotten round one way or another, he coud still guest appear as Gordon-Gordon Wyatt did, in and out for a few more episodes, at least that way it wont appear as if everyone has forgotten about him!

ddelgado said:
i don't know why but zach was awesome!!!!!!!!!

ccbee1234 said:
So, I wouldn't trade Sweets for Zach, because I really like Sweets. But Zach's departure of the show did seem a bit sudden to me.
I liked how he came back on the 100th episode, though:)

raachel97 said:
I loved zach! I think they should have him on an episode time to time assisting or something?

I am not a sweets hater. But NO ONE can replace Zach. He was like an adorable little Brennan!

emccusker said:
I found an article from 2008 that dishes on why he was written out. Hope this helps answer the question...

ZACH WAS A FREAKIN PHSYCO!! THATS WHYYYY!

now he wasn't he was just brainwashed and on the link emccusker gives Zach says the writers decided to take him out it wasn't because of a rapid cycle of bi-polar if i said that right he didn't choose he followed his characters fate and in the interview eric millegan says that the writers still might eventually take him back i don't know how they will write that into the script but he will appear from time to time.
Saphire1031 you are the PHSYCO for callin Zach a Phsyco i would be careful a lot of people loved Zach

I actually found this page tonight in search of why they took Zack from the show. If it was the actor's desire to leave, then there is nothing more to say. But, if he just got the axe, it may have been due to his character's almost clone-like similarity with Dr. Brennan's character. To have a supporting character that mimics the title one so closely, the character may be construed (by the producers or stars) as detracting from the lead's uniqueness, thereby diminishing her character's claim as "the best" as well as making his character competition for the awe and admiration of the audience. They may also be afraid that his equally dry, literal demeanor and communication (just like Dr. Brennan's) may simply be too much for the average audience's palate. Personally, I miss him. He is adorable, as is his character, and if I was single, and he were a real man, I would pull out all of my charms to snag him up for myself.http://images.fanpop.com/images/emoticoons­/wi­nk.­jpg One thought, if the producers/writers are reading, he would make an awesome nemesis for the forensic team whether as a competing forensic anthropologist or as a bad guy altering remains in a diabolical way to further the Gormogon story.

It’s been a while since the season 4 with the Zach Gormagon incident but its fresh to me. Zach is part of the family and I don’t understand why Eric Millegan would ever want to leave or why the producers would want him to leave either. Zach being Gormagon’s apprentice does not make any sense in the years Bones has been airing. Firstly, Zach is way too smart to fall to prey of a nobody. The script happened way to fast and felt rushed. No one liked seeing Zach blown up and in shock and then they drop this bomb on all the fans that he’s also a bad guy. It’s just sad :( and I miss Zach.

i have to admit..my heart broke a little when they took Zack off the show..i like the new interns but i would not be sad if they let them go in order to bring back Zack. I think the writing was on the wall anyway. Think about it. When Zack was asked to go to Iraq they started to replace him. Even went so far as to replace him with clark for him to suddenly return. long story short..I WANT ZACK BACK!!

DITTO ronnie15cc The only reason Zack is gone is cause eric millegan wanted to leave

sad
Emaleth said:
I have to admit I was, and still am a fan of Eric Millegan, and loved how he portrayed Zack. I did a lot of research (unfortunately due to the distances involved, purely online research), and have found several sources with the same reasons. Eric Millegan suffers from Bipolar disorder, previously known as Manic Depressive, and this was the reason he gave for leaving. Since Bones he's done some theatre work, but very little.

It wasnt Eric who wanted off the show, and he actually never wanted off the show. He actually said he was just going along with the script, and he was shocked when they wrote him off (because apparently they couldn't think of another, more exciting season finale). Im on season 4, and I was so mad when he left, so I just had to research the reason why he left. This is the actual interview with him, and I hope I see him more in later seasons. Loved that guy sooo much!!

i_h8_cats said:
MachailaLaine Addicted2Tv is write it says that he never killed anyone in episode 5 season 4 "The Perfect Pieces In The Purple Pond".

He is CRAZY!!!!!

He didn't want to be on the show anymore. I was just watch the episode were he gets blown up and I wish he didn't go.

tecumseh said:
Whatever he reason...I still miss him,and agree that he should come back occasionally

STCFan said:
Hello people I think its goddman fucked up that he got kicked off the show.
Anyways i'm talking to him right now on facebook and his exact words from my question= Why did you got kicked off the show
He replied: "My Characters storyline was changed so i was pretty much written off the show."
You can go in and check it by yourselves: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php??st­ory­_fb­id=­256­464­781­119­474­&am­p;i­d=2­352­257­632­433­76&­amp­;re­f=n­oti­f&a­mp;­not­if_­t=f­eed­_co­mme­nt

I absolutely loved zackaroni, and yes he was like a cute little brennan. but i really like the squinterns, especially wendall bray and vincent nigel-murray. so yes, it was very sad that addy turned out to be gormagon's assistant, but it's not like he got permanently replaced by Daisy or something.

tiggybel said:
Can someone help me. I am in the uk and have just watched season 3. In the finale, the explosion was used as a decoy for someone to take the skeleton. As Zach was injured, but subsequently found to be Gormagon's apprentice: who took the skeleton then?

I LOVE Zac he's sooo cute. He can make me feel dumb any day!!!!!

i love zach he wanted to leave but, not like nigle, nigle the actor wanted to resume a normal life. erick(zach) wanted to do other things like movies they wrote him into a mental hospital so that at any time he could come back like in the writter ocd case! hope you guys luv my answer!

Zack didn't kill anyone, I've been watching Bones from start to finish, and i started Season 4 yesterday, I'm on episode 10 now and alisonfaith297 is correct. Yes, I know bringing up old topic. but i love Zack too, but I needed to know if he was coming back, and thus why i'm here now XD

Jeckel69 said:
I know this is old but wanted to add something. I've seen the episode where Zack says he didn't kill anyone, but what about the end of Season 3 episode 8? It shows Zack jumping out of the closet at the lobbyist with a knife. It is open to interpretation, but he is coming at the guy pretty hard for not killing him. I doubt he could have overpowered the guy.

For the people saying Eric wanted off the show, can you show where you are hearing this from? People have already posted an interview where he says he was written off and says nothing of it being his decision.

coolcat34 said:
He was pulled off the show because he was got shone accomplice

coolcat34 said:
I mean he was gormagon's assistant