Books to Read Opinion Article

Why Edward Cullen Is A Spouse Abuser (And Why You Should Care!)

Opinion by Cinders posted over a year ago
Statement of Intent: If you read to the end, you'll notice that I do not advocate against reading Twilight, just putting it into context for young readers. This was originally written for a Facebook audience of friends until I decided to post it here as well. It was not intended to offend Twilight fans or readers, but to simply give a little perspective on why I believe Edward Cullen is a poor character to respect/admire. Should there be enough popular demand, I'm willing to write a similar article about Bella Swan.

Personality Traits in Abusive Relationships [Source, Secondary Source]

Note: The ones in bold are ones that are displayed by Edward Cullen in the book or film. Thanks to Jody for the research.

1) Uncontrolled temper. "Sometimes I Have a problem with my temper, Bella." (Twilight, Edward, page 164).
2) Extreme Jealousy.

"I mean, you know better than to be jealous, right?"
He raised one eyebrow. "Do I?"
"Be serious."
"Easily - there's nothing remotely humorous about this."
I frowned suspiciously. "Or... is this something else altogether? Some vampires-and-werewolves-are-always-enemies nonsense? Is this just a testosterone-fueled --"
His eyes blazed. "This is only about you. All I care is that you're safe." (Eclipse, page 143, after Bella spent the day with Jacob.)

3) Intense fear of abandonment. (Note that though this is not one of Edward's character traits, it is a telling trait of Bella, who one could argue in a seprate note is emotionally manipulative, but we're not focusing on Bella here.)
4) A background involving physical, emotional or sexual abuse, abandonment, ACOA issues.
5) Unrealistic expectations of a relationship. (To "fix" them or solve their problems.)
6) Low Self-Esteem.

"I infuriate myself," he said gently. "The way I can't seem to keep from putting you in danger. My very existence puts you at risk. Sometimes I truly hate myself. I should be stronger, I should be able to --"
I put my hand over his mouth. "Don't." (Twilight, page 336)

7) Rush in to relationships. "About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was part of him — and I didn't know how potent that part might be — that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him." (Twilight, page 195. The next day, they become a couple. If teenage Bella is confessing "unconditional and irrevocable love" for a vampire she's known three months, who she KNOWS wants to eat her, she's definitely enabling.)
9) Exhibit controlling behavior.

We were near the parking lot now. I veered left, toward my truck. Something caught my jacket, yanking me back.
"Where do you think you're going?" he asked, outraged. He was gripping a fistful of my jacket in one hand.
I was confused. "I'm going home."
"Didn't you hear me promise to take you safely home? Do you think I'm going to let you drive in your condition? His voice was still indignant.
"What condition? And what about my truck?" I complained.
"I'll have Alice drop it off after school." He was towing me toward his car now, pulling me by my jacket. It was all I could do to keep from falling backward. He'd probably just drag me along anyway if I did.
"Let go!" I insisted. He ignored me. I staggered along sideways across the wet sidewalk until we reached the Volvo. Then he finally freed me - I stumbled against the passenger door.
"You are so pushy!" I grumbled. (Twilight, pages 103-4).

10) Have unrealistic expectations or demands.
11) Use isolation to keep you centered on them.
12) Believe in male supremacy and the stereotyped masculine role in the family. (It should be noted here that this is clearly where Stephanie Meyer's Mormon background permeates best. She reinforces stereotypical gender roles in which the stronger man must protect and support the dependant woman. Edward practically oozes this stereotype.)
13) Use of force during sex.

His eyes tightened. "How badly are you hurt, Bella? The truth - don't try to downplay it."
...
"Look at yourself, Bella. Then tell me I'm not a monster."
Wounded, shocked, I followed his instruction unthinkingly and then gasped.
What had happened to me? I couldn't make sense of the fluffy white snow that clung to my skin. I shook my head, and a cascade of white drifted out of my hair.
I pinched one soft white bit between my fingers. It was a piece of down.
"Why am I covered in feathers?" I asked, confused.
He exhaled impatiently. "I bit a pillow. Or two. That's not what I'm talking about."
...
Under the dusting of feathers, large purple bruises were beginning to blossom across the pale skin of my arm. My eyes followed the trail they made up to my shoulder and then down across my ribs. I uplled my hand free to poke at the discoloration of my left forearm, watching it fade where I touched it and then reappear. It throbbed a little. (Breaking Dawn, 87-89.)

14) Threats of Violence

He lowered the automatic window and leaned toward me across the seat. "Get in, Bella."
I didn't answer. I was mentally calculating my chances of reaching the truck before he could catch me. I had to admit, they weren't good.
"I'll just drag you back," he threatened, guessing my plan. (Twilight, page 104).

15) Have poor communication skills. (At least, this was the impression I got from the movie.)
16) Exhibit cruelty to animals or children. (Note: I was tempted to bold this, due to the fact that Edward is a "vegetarian"-- someone needs to tell that boy that real vegetarians don't eat meat or blood of any kind, hence the "vege" root of the word. But since he has no qualms about draining animals of their blood, I want to say it counts as animal cruelty. But I feel it would take away from the seriousness of all my other arguments).

If you have never read Twilight, and/or have listened to me rant about why Edward and Bella's relationship is a very bad example of "true love" for young girls, I hope this sheds a little light onto the situation, or at least on why I hold that opinion. The funny thing is, a character like this in teen literature wouldn't bother me so much, if the teen literature wasn't so popular. The fact that so many girls are idolizing Edward Cullen, and wishing that they were the simpering Bella Swan, disturbs me enough to compile this list.

I am against book banning of any kind. Indeed, I'll go so far as to say that I'm glad that kids are reading, even if they are reading Twilight. But I urge parents, teachers, and anyone with common sense, to explain to their kids that Edward is not the type of man you want to get involved with, and why.

Following this conversation, and when the kids are finished reading Twilight, show your young girls some good ol' Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or encourage them to read books like Levine's "Ella Enchanted," Burnett's "The Secret Garden" or "A Little Princess," or even Fitzhugh's "Harriet the Spy," to show them real role models.

Pages: 1 2
wow and i have always thought the same thing. I never like Edward lol but also Cinder you have to remeber Edward was "born" in the early 19th century. Men did take the role of protecting and as it states in the book, it is very hard for a vampire to change his views. So again i do not see it as a huge sterotype book, more or less its just common sense

fanfly said:
Excellent article, Cinders. It explains my feelings on Twilight much more concisely than I've been able to. And you back it up with research. I too wouldn't be so bothered by Twilight if the characters weren't idolized by so many impressionable young readers.
And I, for one, look forward to an article from you about Bella Swan.

Cinders said:
Yeah, that one'll be titled "Why Bella Swan is Emotionally Manipulative and Destructively Dependent (And Why Your Kids Are Acting Just Like Her!)"

I am beginning to like Twilight less and less. I am still a fan, but hardly. When I first read it, I was ga-ga over Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, but after rereading, listening to other people's views, my views have changed as well. In fact, the only reason I still like the series is because of it's few redeeming factors: Rosalie, Alice, Jasper, Emmett, Seth, and Jacob. These 6 are all enjoyable characters, but they are over-run by the obsession of E/B in the books. I whole-heartedly agree with everything said in this article. Especially the ending, about even if they're reading Twilight, at least they're reading. But, afterwards, a little Buffy indulging may be necessary. A couple other books I would recommend with real role model leading female characters:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (which has numerous female role models!)

Also, I too am very excited for the Bella Swan article!

Great article. I have not read or seen Twilight, but I know of many girls who have. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard a girl say something along the lines of, "I wish Edward would stalk me like he stalks Bella."

nice article Cinders awaiting the Bella article...

Great article cant wait for the next

Katreader said:
While I enjoyed reading Twilight I was very concerned about the abusive patterns seen in Edward. Isolating Bella, or anyone isolating you from friends and family is a danger sign, pure and simple. While I can see this fact and appreciate the fiction, a lot of people, especially young people cannot separate this fiction from reality. I hope more people pay attention.

-Gabby- said:
I really agree to this.. Even though i am still very much a Twilight fan

I agree as well. When I read the first book I instantly became a fan of Edward and Bella, thinking it was the best story ever written. As I read the three other books, however, my views changed on the characters. Edward is quite creepy in my opinion, and Bella irritating and dependent. I am a fan of the other vampires and werewolves, however.

Cinders said:
Thanks, Kelsey, for joining the Enlightened Ones.

And I know you know real romance when you see it. That's why you ship all the good ships. ;o)

tushtush said:
I agree totally. The very first thing I noticed about Twilight was that Edward was a controlling bully who abused his power over Bella, and when they were together her sarcastic, funny personality was tossed aside and replaced by a weak, dependent follower. It made me hate Edward Cullen so much, and the only reason I continued to read the series was because I was desperate to see what everyone else saw in it. I've read all four and still haven't found what I'm looking for (I love that song. :D). I agree that Bella is an awful role model, but I hope people aren't ignorant enough to think that her relationship with Edward is acceptable in today's society.

There's also one point in your article that I don't really agree with. Number 13 'Use of force during sex' can't really be called abuse, as the only reason he bruised her was because if he didn't he'd end up murdering her. While that would make the book far more entertaining and darkly funny, I don't think it would be a very good example of a healthy relationship... :D

Wow...that was really....a load of crap!

mischievous
what the hell get a grip it's a story made up, fantasy, yes edward is hot yes he is flawed but really we all have a version of Edward that we either love or hate, the fact they cast the hot Rob Pattinson as Edward Cullen who I have to say was my vision of what he would be like, doesn't mean it encourages us to go for an abusive partner, oh yeah VAMPIRES DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST

0524wes08 said:
This just sounds like a typical love. Every relationship is not always sweet and tender. Many of us have so much angst in what we called love or passions.Some have it so sweet that it gave me a toothache and some just make me want to gag.But this is a relationship between 2 people that have so much passion for each other.Also it is just a story that was made up from one person imaginations.So really don't put too much thought and emphasis into it.I am a Twilight fan and to tell you the truth who cares what Edward or Bella does. It's just a good read and their caring for each other does not make me want to gag like some books out there.So don't hate!

bravo :)
I'm a huge Twilight fan but I have to admit this is very well done.

Thank you.
You pretty much mentioned everything that irked me about Edward. Please do an article on Bella as well.
It's articles like this that make me feel less alone in my opinions.

Okay Why do you care so much that a fictional character is hated? Its our problem if we like him and most of these that you put are sarcastic remarks. He IS a fictional character and Most of us know that! But I do think that it is a little stupid that people say that they are waiting for their Edward Cullen to come and sweep them off their feet but that's what they want and I wouldn't tell them otherwise because we all know that when we're kids we all want a man to come and sweep us off our feet. SO dont go telling them not to believe that! Thats like telling them not to want a Prince Charming when their toddlers. How do you think that would go?

meh
well, i think ur overreacting,edward only wants to make bella safe, and they really do love each other.now thats nice how you you did that, but i dont mean to be like this its just that i am all for team edward,so if you dont like twilight, just keep it to your own opinion and stop trying to change everybody to hate it all because you do.because im pretty sure everyone loves twilight and ever one of them or some make there own sites.trust me theres a list.now let people like wat they want to like,and makin them misunderstand why to hate all beacuse its wat,you,want.i terribly hurts me in a way.

Belanesedward, she's not trying to change people's opinion's she's simply expressing her own and she has every right to do that. And no, NOT EVERYONE loves Twilight, just take a look at some of the comments people are making on this article and I think you'll see that. Excellent cinders, it was very brave of you to write this risking extreme twilight lover hate! Just know that some of us, including myself are on your side!

renrae said:
Wonderful article, but in my opinion, "11) Use isolation to keep you centered on them." should have been bolded. There have been parts in the series where Edward keeps Bella from seeing people.

Brilliant article, and so very true.
I find it interesting (and a little saddening, to be honest) that there are very few Twilight fans who actually can agree with this.

Just to rant a little, because this really irked me...when Twilight fans say things like 'If you don't like Twilight, that's fine, just keep it to yourself!' I want to scream into a pillow. It's as if opinions can only be voiced if they agree with it and if they don't like it, they don't want you to say anything. Well if that's the case, then Twilight fans should keep their opinions to themselves or just deal with the fact that not everyone loves Twilight. Rant over.

Again, brilliant article Cinders! =]

tfin1 said:
This is very well written and I agree. Edward's control issues and Bella's excuses for his behavior were two of the factors that drove me crazy about the series. I've read the books, but I found it harder to tolerate Edward when listening to the audiobook. To hear some of the things he says out loud just annoyed me even more. Don't get me wrong. I think the language of the book is beautiful, and I love the attention to details, but I am definitely not waiting for "my Edward."

No not true.Okay I am huge a Twilight fan because it is a good book to read like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.And I like the relationship between Bella and Edward because of the love and chemistry in it.I don't thing Edward is abusive in my opinion he is a great person and a lovely guy and I had a boyfriend almost like him which I really loved.
I don't say anything about your article it was very well writen.I know that everybody has an opinion and if this is yours it doesn't bother me at all.You can express it if you want like I just expressed mine.
My apologies,
Rosemary

I totally agree with BellaEdwardLife.

amandaj said:
Great article! Although I enjoyed reading Twilight, I can't disagree with you. You're right, all we have to do is look at the facts... If the controlling behaviour was taken out of the equation, their relationship may have been a little more balanced and healthy, lol. They do have their all to sweet moments too. But to be honest, I haven't really given the whole abusive relationship thing much thought, due to the simple fact that it's fiction I'm reading, and I'm not putting much weight behind it. I mean, it's about sparkling vampires :P I will definitely read yor article on Bella!

i was a loved twilight in the three weeks it took me to get through the piece a crap. im highly embarrassed to say that i made custom "i <3 twilight" bookmarks and bought a twilight poster! but never fear i relized the errors of my way in a very short mtter of time and never really thought edward was hot! my dads name is edward! creepy! teen fiction is addicting like a bad gossip magazine. vampires are and entertaining subject but nothing to go nutz over for gods sakes!

sunny
Okay. If there is anyone out in the world who knows a lot about abuse, one of those people can definitely be me. I have read about abuse, I have researched abuse, I've seen perfect examples of abuse in films that are based on true stories or are fictional (I really don't see the difference it makes though, lol), and I have actually seen abuse face-to-face (please don't ask about that). If anyone can recognize abuse the minute it occurs, it's me.

I honestly have to say that I see no signs of abuse in Bella's and Edward's relationship. Yes, Edward is a bit controlling and I would find that irritating. But, I'm sorry that's basically all I see. However, I am against animal cruelty and I must agree with you that draining the blood of an animal for food is a form of cruelty, whether the perpetrator is human or not.

Well, that's honestly my opinion.

Cinders said:
If you've read about abuse, then you should know the personality characteristics of a potential abuser (listed above).

A friend of mine had a boyfriend like Edward. He was jealous of the guy friends she hung out with, and often wouldn't let her come out with us. He was overprotective, and would rarely let her go anywhere without him. He would often surprise her with small gifts for no good reason. He was critical of us (her friends), and always had to be touching her when the two of them were around us.

Six months later, she broke up with him. I asked her why (because she knew our opinion, but she always said, "No, he's different when we're alone, he's a good guy,") and she said "Remember the flowers he gave me after class yesterday? They were an I'm sorry gift for grabbing me by the arm and throwing me against a wall."

He had never been violent with her until that point, which is why that was when she knew she had to break up with him. But all the signs were there.

I've read about abuse, too. I've taken a psychology class on the mentalities of abuse victims, and their abusers. And I have a friend who knew well enough to end her relationship with a controlling guy. So I think it's fair to say that I know a little bit about abuse, too.

Cinders, I know I'm getting to this article a bit late (literally, its 3am so please excuse my lack of coherent grammar) but I must applaud you for everything that was said, I wholeheartedly agree about everything in the article.

Edward may not be "violently" abusive, but he is frighteningly possessive which is a common trait in most vampire fiction, yes! (I'm a huge fan of this genre) but the difference here is the fact that the story allows this behavior to be acceptable and actually admired upon. For young teenage girls this is a very dangerous type of role model, because with these traits (that they find endearing) will only lead them to pursuing the type of guy who not only controls them through words, but also through violence which in real life is pretty much a package deal.

I congratulate you Cinders for writing this article and I've read everyone else's opinions and views of their reaction to this article.

I agree. Yes it is fictional, vampires arent real but its REAL subtext/issue that happens! That there are alot teenage girls who idiolise Edward, Bella and Twilight in general.

We have to ask ourselves do we want our children/younger generation thinking its ok with this type of behaviour discussed in this article to be socially acceptable?

Defiantly not!! Yeah true everyone has flaws but these traits shouldnt be celebrated as ok cuz its not.

There are alot of positive things about Twilight i like Jacob, Alice, Carlisle, Esme, Rosalie, Jasper, Emmett, Seth and Leah cuz I find them more positive role models and more honest characters, yeah they have flaws but i havent seen the abusive/controlling tendenacies in these characters.

There are a lot of characters in Movies, TV, and books that have similar tendencies. However, the fact that people ignore Edward's and simply admire him is what gets to me. I like a lot of characters but understand their faults.

The time when Edward gets Alice to keep Bella away from Jacob (that does happen, right?) really sticks out for me.

It's also much worse because Bella is such an easy enabler. If she wasn't, Edward would not get away with half of his crap.

Everyone is always saying that Edward is just protective. Well, he's taking it too far. I know Bella is helpless but it doesn't give him the right to be so controlling! And try to commit suicide!? What message is that sending?

Edward, and Bella, are quite flip floppy. On the one hand, he wants her to stay with Charlie and go to university and lead a normal life. He also wants her to stay away from her best friend (yes, we get he is jealous but that is not an excuse). He's also flip floppy in this way; one minute he's too dangerous, the next, he can't live without her. If he wants her to leave him so she can lead a "safer life as she deserves" he really isn't working hard enough.

Myf_1992 said:
Edward man-handled her, forcing her to do something against her will, nearly hurting her and she called it "pushy".

Exactly, Myf_1992.

It's not so much Edward (although you're KIDDING yourself if you think he's not abusive) as Bella.

Bella NEVER gets upset ENOUGH over his behavior! She calls it "Pushy"! I'd SLAP HIM! If someone EVER tries to force you to do anything you don't want to do, you should respond with, "SHOVE IT!" not "Jeez! ...okay".

Also, the relationship's abusive because the relationship revolves around the fact that she can't (for whatever reason, be it circumstantial or a personality trait) look after herself in any situation. And I understand that that can be seen as romantic, but it is also what every girl in an abusive relationship feels like! that they NEED their boyfriend to look after them.

Throughout the series Bella shows time and time again that even when she THINKS she can take care of herself, she falls painfully short!

ALSO, and possibly the most disturbing point, are the blank pages when Edward leaves. Again, it symbolizes the emptiness she feels without him. One should never feel that you have nothing to offer w/o your significant other! No matter how much Stephanie Meyer wants to call the emptiness a symbol of devotion.

Lastly...sorry, THIS was the most disturbing point...When Bella decides she'll try and kill herself to bring Edward back because she knows he'll have to come back and save her.
Later, she banishes the though, NOT because she should be ashamed she thought that in the first place, but because she's scared of what Edward would think if he knew she was thinking of hurting herself!!!!!! Repeat: she doesn't hurt herself because no healthy person should want to hurt themselves but because she is afraid of the reaction from her boyfriend.

You should never be scared of your boyfriend.

I mean...c'mon!

(as an aside, I know a woman who is fortunately doing just find now and even works as a therapist in an at-risk school, who HAD AN ANXIETY ATTACK AND FAINTED, reading the book (I believe after he yells at her in the parking lot/ watching her sleep) because she felt like she was back in an abusive relationship she had been in several years before in which she had to get a restraining order put on her boyfriend)

Sorry, this has been building up for awhile.

Dude. Get a life.

Edward never claimed to be perfect, that was entirely something we found to be true ourselves. But there is a REASON why so many people fell in love with Edward. And let me just say now for those who haven't read Twilight - not ONCE in the entire series does Edward Cullen abuse Bella, physically or verbally, and he is nothing but a caring gentleman. Yes, he is old fashioned, but he is not in the least abusive and the person that wrote this did not take into account that the fact that Edward is a vampire, and that may have an effect on some of those points. For example, if you believed yourself to be a monster, I think you'd have pretty low self esteem as well. Oh - therefore you are abusing your girlfriend! Not.

P.S - as for the sex thing, Bella completely pressured Edward into it, and as he is so in love with her after a lot of begging he did give into her, and when he realized he had given her bruises (that was all her 'injuries' were - a few bruises that faded quickly and Bella herself admitted were painless) he was excruciatingly guilty.

If you would like to respond to anything I've said, please send me a message on fanpop and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Cinders said:
Once again, these are signs of future abuse in a relationship. The fact that Edward embodies all of these signs, and the fact that fans idolize them, only leads to the logical conclusion that fans will seek out these traits in their future lovers, which could get them into difficult situations. This is why it's important to contextualize the Edward Cullen character to young girls reading about him, and explain that what he and Bella feel for each other isn't love.

And about him being a vampire-- there have been vampire/human relationships in literature and television in the past. Sometimes, they ended badly, but when they didn't, it was because there was a mutual respect there that doesn't exist in the Edward/Bella relationship.

Spike and Buffy (though I loathe the couple, it's still realistic), is a great example of this. Spike began to hate his vampiric nature, but as Buffy pulled away from him, he got violent with her and tried to rape her. Rather than tolerate this kind of behavior, as Bella might have done, Buffy instead refuses to talk to Spike, who is so guilt-ridden he goes out to get a soul so that he can have a real conscience again. Was he violent with Buffy because he was a vampire? Yes. Was this glorified as love? Hell no! Did Buffy tolerate it? Never.

Also, abusive boyfriends always have (or much of the time) legitimate excuses, i.e. THEY were abused as children....that's all I can think of. POint is, THEY feel legitmately guilty afterwards.

Anyway, like I said in the previous response, its not really Edward that's the problem, it's the simpering girl who thinks low enough of herself to take that crap (like being told she can't take care of herself and "he's doing this for her own good")
Just because he IS doing it for her own good doesn't excuse the fact that Stephanie Meyers created a female character who can't act on her own behalf and can't and shouldn't trust herself.

God, Bella sucks.

^^I agree! I dont think edward was supposed to be this abbusive, i think its bella tht is too dumb and agrees with everything! Sometimes while reading the books i would ask myself "how did she kept herself alive before moving to forks?" i mean, seriously everything she tried to do ended up bad, she couldnt do anything alone. When reading about how edward wouldnt let her see jacob cause it was dangerous and blah, blah, blah i just couldnt believe she would agree to tht. Seriously? if it was with i would put him in his place and say tht i go where the f* i want to (sry for the f word)
Even though she's a girl with no personality i do think she's one (if not the most) manipulative and selfish character i've ever read about!

Love it, Cinders. I've tried unsuccessfully to convince my friends that Edward is in no way idealistic, and is actually in many ways too forward and controlling.

I haven't used a couple of these points, so they should help :)

i like this artikel iv readed some of twilight but from the beging i realy dident like edward he's a big but hole in my opinuon but im still a fan because of jasper/alice/roslie/calile/seth/chalie//ja­cob

Mrs-Grint said:
Yeah Edward does seem pretty cruel. My friends little sister has read Twilight, shes 11 and she admits on having SEXUAL FANTASIES about Edward Cullen. Surely this isn't right at her age, shouldn't she be pretending to be a fairy and playing with her magical elfin friends?

It's just WRONG!

Teal_Star said:
Interesting article...now please read my point of view on the subject. I am not a die hard fan of the books but i did enjoy the read and the adventure. I never thought that anyone would have thought that Edward Cullen was abusive. On the contrary, I thought he was a perfect gentleman and Bella did not deserve such a person.

1. Uncontrolled temper-"Sometimes I have a problem with my temper Bella." We all have personal issues that we need to work on. When a man is telling one of his problems to a woman its because he trusts her and hopes that she will not judge him but instead help him with those problems. In this case he was talking about containing his temper against some perverts that were thinking about doing things to her. I think i would want to hurt someone if they tried to mess with my friends, or my boyfriend. Uncontrolled? I don't think so otherwise he would have snapped their necks in a minute. No?

2. Extreme jealousy- Personally I wouldn't want my boyfriend hanging around a girl that I know has strong feelings for him regardless if that's his best friend. You may call it an insecurity but I think that for me it's more of a respect thing. There needs to be respect in a relationship. I mean are you forgetting that he can read Jacob's thoughts? I agree, Edward might have gotten annoying with the "I don't want you to get hurt thing" but it's not like that stopped her anyway since she still did whatever he told her not to do.

5. Unrealistic expectations of a relationship.- If you consider Bella wanting to become a vampire "fixing her problems," she only wanted to be one partly for her own selfish reasons (beauty, power) and partly to stay with him forever (is there a problem?).

6. Low Self-Esteem- Men naturally feel like it is their duty to protect/provide for the female, if they are unable to do so then yes this affects their manhood. He is realizing that it is his fault that all of this is happening to her and he cannot prevent it. It's only the truth.

7. Rush in to relationships- Just like in the thousands of stories and movies out there. It's nothing new to children/teens. *see Cinderella*

9. Exhibit controlling behavior- Yes he is being controlling here. They were not together here yet, but remember how their first impressions of each other was not a good one? They are just acting like two people that don't like each other when in reality they are interested in one another. This type of relationship goes along the lines of the type of relationship that Elizabeth and Mr.Darcy had in Pride and Prejudice.

12. Believe in male supremacy and the stereotypical masculine role-
I believe that both genders should have balanced rights in a relationship, but i do realize that there are some things that men can do that women cannot do (fight in wars for example) and vice versa (men cannot have babies). There is a difference physcially, emotionally, and mentally and if anyone does not acknowledge that then that's a problem. Also, did you forget that he was born a really long time ago?

13. Use of force during sex- Now you're just making this specifically for him to seem like the bad guy always. Bella was the one that convinced him to have sex with her, he repeatedly warned her that this was going to happen, so he refused. She kept throwing herself at him and the more he refused her the more he was hurting her self-esteem.

In conclusion: Put yourself in the opposite end of things before making any judgments. Also, women have different taste in men (too many to list).
On a personal note: Its ironic how I find that some women i know that state that their husbands or boyfriends are a lot like Edward (and that's why they love these books) have been togeher for a long time.

i'm on ur side Teal_Star. Awesome!

I'm on cinders side. She has an excellent point. and yes edward is self hating but with your point that he was born in the 1900's yes, but shouldn't he be able to change his life seeing how he has watched society change over time. edward is not abusive but he is toopossesive. Like he said he didn't want her hanging out with werewolves because they're dangerous. Ahem, oh yes cause vampires are so safe and cuddly. Did you catch my sarcsam. But also women are constantly dedicating their lives to something that doesn't exist. I also think twilight gives a bad message, about womens role in modern society, the way you should have a relationship etc. Also Bella is so annoying, giving the message to girls that they should cling to their boyfriends like that. I think some people are too passionate about Twilight. Also it is not a love story it is basically an obsession with vampires stalking and watching you sleep. To tell you the truth thats kinda creepy. But also i hate it how women are so obsessed with the fact that he's hot. That seems to be the contributing factor to why everyone likes him. And i shall finish my little rant lol.

Cinders please write the one about Bella, i can't wait to see what you come up with her, i already have a few ipressions. it should be twice as long as this one.

Cinders,You are my hero for writing this! i admit i've read twilight and tried to get into it but i couldn't after 3 months of trying to get into it i was reading New Moon and already i didn't like Edward i saw absolutely nothing that makes him so-called 'perfect' and was delighted that he wasn't in New Moon until the end. but when Bella saw Edward again and started doing that usual rant about him. I shut the book with no hesitation and ended it for good.

I really don't understand how girls could like this, i mean you'd figure they would actually NOTICE Edward's behavior. im wondering how Stephine Meyers could write this and call it love.

meh
you make a good point here, and i rated it 5 stars for good research and presentation, but i have something i would like to point out. stephanie isn't trying to say that men are superior, but trying to show the difference between human and vampire. if you've read the books, you know that in breaking dawn, when bella is changed, she is stronger than edward, physically and mentally. it is her gift, in fact, that saves all the vampires(including edward) when they face the volturi.

I've read the first 3 books and it doesn't sit well with me the way they are very enthralling and romantic yet harmfully perversive and idolised by girls. The incident in the first book where Edward drags Bella by her coat was alarming; there wasn't even an 'explanation' for such behaviour the way Meyer explains away all of Edward's unacceptable behaviour, eg, he has Alice hold Bella hostage because he loves her so damn much he goes a 'little berserk' when he tries to leave her, or in Rosalie's words; 'it terrifies him' to be away from Bella, and of course Meyer's heroine as the heart of the saga requires constant, non-debatable protection. This is the key to what is wrong with the books; Bella is completely inconsequential, has few meaningful friendships, interests or ambitions and added to this is Meyer's creation of an environment where Bella is absolutely and unequivocally dependent on her male love interests for survival. When Edward leaves her she falls into the harms of another male, first for emotional support, but then for physical protection when it transpires her involvement with Edward has left her indefinitely vulnerable. At the end of New Moon when Edward returns as her boyf/perpetual protector (the two roles are synonymous as far as Bella's relationships go), it has been decided that her life will go only one of two ways because the Volturi have demanded she be either changed or killed. The fact that Bella wants one of these options anyway doesn't change the fact that her relationship has dictated the way her life will go. When Bella gets to play the hero it involves her self-sacrifice; going to Italy to stop Edward killing himself, her plans to cut herself in the fight with Victoria and Riley. Edward wants so much to give Bella things, things like over the top cars and a credit card (!) Seriously, readers can be induced to accept that the car is a gift and for her protection, but what is the reasoning for him giving her a credit card? At that point they are not married and once they are married the plan is that Bella will be a vampire and as a newborn, pretty much unable to do much that involves interacting with humans, never mind shopping.

So right!
Little_Cullen if Edward had claimed to be perfect that would be better. At least he would have been appeared to have a flaw: he would be like those guys that think they are the best. But the way he is presented to us with all the self-hate etc we actually think he is perfect and flawless. There couldn't have been a more dangerous way to present an abusive character than this.

YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN