Classic Disney Opinion Article

Top Ten Saddest Disney Movie Moments

Opinion by princesslullaby posted over a year ago
I decided it was time someone wrote the list for saddest disney moments, so here goes. Someone else wrote the same article that I completely disagreed with (half the moments were from the little mermaid) so I decided it was time for me to write my own article. Disney is known to make people laugh and cheer, but also for making people depressed and making them cry. I have cried at numerous disney films, because all of them have their sad moments. Some of my choices may surprise you. Disney is famous for it's sad moments, but to me, none are more sad then the following list. I hope you like my article!

10. Megara dies to save Hercules
I think what's most painful about this is knowing that Megara had just been given her freedom, and still sacrificed her life to save Hercules. She's the only one of the disney heroines who actually dies for real, and sadder even is Hercules crying at her death, because she had just told him she was in love with him.

9.Bambi's mother dies
This scene is incredibly depressing because Bambi's mother knows she's going to get shot. She keeps yelling for Bambi to run and not to look back. Then Bambi, once he has made it to safety, keeps running around and yelling for his mother.

8. Eric leaves Ariel
What's sad about this scene is how hard Ariel has worked to get Eric, and he leaves her for Vanessa (Ursula in disguise), because he is hypnotized by Vanessa's voice, which is actually Ariel's. What's worse is Ariel can't do speak up for herself and now is doomed to being one of Ursula's seaweed things at the bottom of the ocean, never getting the life she has wanted.

7. Moments of Fox and the Hound
There's a lot of sad moments in fox and the hound that collaborate to make number ten. First, when Copper tells Tod he can't be friends anymore. Then when Tod is left alone in the woods. Finally at the end when you hear their voices echoing that they'll be friends forever when they can never be friends again.

6. Shang's death
This moment didn't happen until Mulan 2, which a lot of you may have not seen. Mulan and Shang had broken up at this point and were not on speaking terms. They are ambushed and Mulan and Shang are hanging off a rope on a bridge over a canyon. The rope is starting to break because it can't hold both their weights, so Shang lets go to save Mulan, even though they are no longer together. Shang's sacrifice is so sad, and it's even sadder when Mulan is sobbing and screaming "SHANG!" while stabbing his sword into the ground.

5. Kerchak dies
This scene is very upsetting because until this moment. Kerchack has not treated Tarzan like his son. It is not until he dies that Tarzan earns Kerchak's respect, and Kerchak calls Tarzan his son just before dying. It's an extremely bittersweet moment.

4. The Beast dies
First the Beast lets Belle go, then he dies because of Belle showing him to the town through the mirror to protect her father. Belle feels she is responsible for the Beast's death, who she also realizes she loves. To lose someone who has sacrificed so much for you is a terrible thing to go through, and I admit I cry like a baby whenever I watch this scene.

3. John Smith leaves
Pocahontas and John fell in love and worked hard for their people to get along and achieved this, only to have John get shot in the end. This means John has to leave, and Pocahontas and John can't be together. This is the only disney princess sad moment that doesn't turn out happy in the end, leaving anyone who watches it depressed right after, amidst the swirling leaves and dramatic music. (hey, at least we still get a dramatic steamy makeout kiss to help ease the sting!)

2. Quasimodo is pelted and abused at the Feast of Fools.
I didn't see this movie until I was about fourteen, and this has got to be the most dark and depressing movie disney has made. Frollo is the most evil disney villain, torturing Quasimodo until the point where Quasimodo cowers and shuts down whenever Frollo is around. But the worst moment had to be at the Feast of Fools where Quasimodo was tied down and had food thrown at him while crying out for Frollo to help him. But Frollo just turns away and Quasimodo is continued to be abused. Then when he is finally set free he has to run back through the crowd back into the building and the whole crowd backs away in disgust. He cries the whole walk back. I can't imagine what it's like to have a whole town of people look at you like a monster, especially since in his 20 years of being alive he has never been outside the cathedral he lives in. I cried at this scene more than any other disney scene, EVER.

1. Mufasa dies
Though this may be no surprise to most of you that this is number one, it's undeniable that this is the saddest disney movie moment. As a kid this was the only disney scene I teared up at, and had I seen it for the first time as an adult I probably would have cried for days. Simba's father not only dies, Simba also believes he is responsible for his own father's death. Simba is then forced to run away and never return home, where he lives a life of freedom, but at the cost of extreme sadness and losing everything that was once dear to him. There's nothing sadder than losing a family member and being exiled for his death, especially when you and everyone else believes you caused their demise.

Pages: 1 2
Oh Goodness. Mufasa dying is the worst. Just imagining Simba's voice and reaction makes me want to cry.

allis143 said:
I have to ask because I've never seen Mulan 2 and I don't have time to see Mulan 2. Does Shang die for real or is it just a supposed death?

hindaa said:
i agree with u about the top 5

rainy
MrsEric_M said:
No Shang doesnt die for real, Him and Mulan get married at the end of the second one. I think its sad when Dumbo is not with his mom.

allis143 said:
For me, it's a tie between the death of the Beast from him saying you came back to her crying, "please don't leave me! I love you!" and the last scene of Pocahontas from where he says "come with me" to the end. Also, in the new DVD version, with the reprise of "If I Never Knew You" slipped back in there, it's a real tearjerker.

I haven't seen Mulan 2. I don't see how we would be alive after falling off a cliff. I also don't see why they would ever break up. Since when are they trying to make disney films realistic? Other than that i agree with the list.

I don't think anything can compete with number one.

Though I would switch number two and three. IMO

I get chills every time I see Mufasa falling and Simba yelling "No!!!" And Simba doesn't want to believe he's dead, trying to get him up, saying "Dad. We gotta go home", calls for help, and then cuddles up next to his dad crying. That breaks my heart so much.

sad
i think the saddest of them all is up because the grandpa is going to die

the saddest is definately Mufasa dying, Fox and the Hound moments, Beast dies and Bambi's Mother dies! I used to cry for hours and still cry now!
I think Dumbo should be on there too when he goes to visit his Mother but then he has to leave her :'(

good article

I agree with your number one...

.....SHAND DIES!?!?!?!!? iv only seen a bit of mulan 2.....it was.....er crap???

whhhhhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( i cry in just about EVERY disney movie.......

DreamyGal said:
SHANG DIES??! WTF!? I guess its time that I watch Mulan 2. Saddest Disney moment to me is when Dumbo goes to see his Mom while she is caged, "Baby Mine". I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME I WATCH IT!!

OMG that part was really sad too! Love Dumbo! But yeah when Mufasa died I cried soooo bad, I start to tear up when him and Simba are talking after Simba and Nala go in the elephant graveyard and they talk about the stars. that is just the worst, sooo sad.

dollyrox said:
i agree with most of these, except i would probably change the hunchback of notre dame to when Quasi realizes that Esmeralda loves someone else, right after he had saved them both and his beautiful song, heavens light, turns out to be true. one of the saddest disney scenes ever, from one of the most tragic disney movies. other than that, awesome

blush
dollyrox said:
@dreamygal dont worry, hes not really dead and they get married in the end. and sorry for spoilin the ending lol

DreamyGal said:
lol thanks ^^

Straggy said:
Meh. I'd swap number 2 and number 10.

Doesn't he bring Meg back?

HecateA said:
^Yes. But something about seeing the strongest man in the world cry like that in front of his master... I don't know.

I agree with this, except I think that John Smith should move up one, I don't have any problem with the beast dying, but it just such a sad movie...

Sarah715 said:
I think when Mufasa died and Bambi's mother are the two saddest parts in all the Disney movies.

tokomundo said:
I think that the saddest moment is not when Mufasa dies but when Tod from the fox and the hound is left in the forest and he is just left there looking at the old woman and thinking that she is going to return. I don't cry in movies but that is the closest I have gotten ever.

The "Baby Mine" scene from Dumbo makes me cry everytime I see it and Tinker Bell's death was pretty sad too, but Mufasa's and Bambi's mother's death were the worst for me.
Quasimodo getting abused disturbed me a lot. I actually forgot about the scene and had to look it up. Really sad..

Yeah Baby Mine was so sad. Another one from hunchback so maybe an 11 or something but when Quasimodo thinks esmeralda is dead and is crying over her body

I think the saddest ones on here are Mufasa dying,Bambi's mother dying,Shang falling off the cliff(I used to be so sad everytime I see it.And p.s Mulan and Shang hadn't really broken up,they just got into a really bad argument.)Theres also Tinkerbell's death,When Flynn Rider almost died in Tangled,and in Princess and the Frog when Ray died.I'm starting to wonder...WHY IS THERE SO MUCH DYING?? :(

I know it sounds really bad but... I was laughing when Bambi's mother died. My sister was tickling me and I missed the moment. Then I was watching it again and I remembered and started laughing again. DX
HIDH

jessig said:
i agree with the article but i say beauty and the beast moment was the most saddest one becuz i cry everytime i watch tht movie.

mischievous
LOLn00b said:
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH­AHA­HAH­AHA­HAH­AHA­HAH­AHA­HAH­HAH­AHA­HA

The top 5 i agree with

deffo number one is the saddest and also bambi's mum dying. i also find it kinda heart breaking when eric leaves ariel...and brother bear is another depressing one when kini ( :S ) tells koda about him killing his mum ! :(

mijmiD said:
i always fail when it comes to not crying in disney movies

mischievous
LOLn00b said:
i wish disn3y should die

I a hundred percent agree with all of these.

i would switch number seven with number two, because i dont have a thing for the hunch back getting pelted, as its only one scene, but the Fox and the hound is a frekin depressing CLASSIC.

You are completely right.
Mufasa' death always make me cry. Even when I listen to music.

just thinking about these moments makes me wanna cry :((((

You did fantastic!!! Each of these scenes are the key moments that are the most remembered in each movie. They carry emotions that last and are never forgotten. I totally agree with your list and your explanations. Just reading it makes people remember the scenes and want to cry all over again.

I agree with you with alot of your choices. Bambi loses his mother early makes me cry, poor quasimodo get abused, and I feel bad for Ariel when Eric mistakes Vannessa only because she has Ariel's voice. She was lucky Scuttle realized that Vannessa is Ursula and crashed the wedding. In the orinal story of the little mermaid, she dies of a broken heart.

I realize Toy Story 3 had not come out, but the ending where Andy gives away all his toys was really sad, i teared up...

But good list, i love the Hunchback of Notre Dame, it one of my favorite movies, and i think that seen is really sad.
Also i always cried when tink dies..

some of the people who "died" didn't actully die. LUCKILY!!!!

Even though I'm older now I STILL cry when Mufasa dies!! It has always been the saddest moment in Disney for me and will be for many more years to come.

The first time I saw Mufasa's death I was crying for a whole week. I honestly think that Bambi's mother dying isn't as sad because she was only shot. Typical death for a deer. But pushing a lion over the edge and letting a wildebeest stampede run over him like a million monster trucks?And being framed as a child?! WTF is wrong with you, Scar?!

sad
MB91 said:
my 2 top saddest Disney movie moments would have 2 b when Bambi's mum dies & in the lion king when mufasa dies as well, so sad. i still
can't bring myself 2 watch bambi coz it will make me cry :(

Your right, that is the saddest and most tradgic disney moment.

I always cry when Tod in Fox and the Hound get left in the woods. I think that would be number 2 for me right under Mufasa's death.

Edit: watched it on Youtube cried like a baby. Man that song gets me every time.

Holy crap, when poor Quasi is beaten, I just cry so much that my eyes are sore. It's so tragic that happens to people in real life... oh how I hate Frollo! When Simba screams "Dad!" and then the screen blacks out for about five seconds, my heart races super fast and I just want to yell, "NO, COME BACK!!"

I'd say the saddest for me is when John Smith leaves Pocahontas

THE FOX AND THE HOUND: When Widow Tweed has to leave Tod in the forest because she can no longer protect him from Amos, and the part at the end in which he looks back on his and Copper's friendship (you hear their voices echoing, "You're my very best friend...and we'll always be friends forever, wont we?" "Yeah, forever!"). What makes this sad is the fact that Tod and Copper know they will no longer get to play with each other.
THE RESCUERS: Medusa calls Penny a "homely little girl," then Penny is crying while she looks out over the boat. After saying her prayers, she tells her teddy bear they will be all right and then breaks down.
DUMBO: Dumbo goes to the prison to see his mother, and when he gets there you see a big tear fall from his eyes. She swings him back and forth with her trunk. You see the other baby animals with their parents.
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: The Beast dies (only for a short time) and Belle tells him she loves him through her tears. However, he comes back and changes back into a prince. :)

Im not sure if you meant just Disney's ANIMATED movies. If not, then The Boy in the Striped Pajamas should definitally be up there. Yes, that IS a Disney movie, too.