Critical Analysis of Twilight List Article

Ways Edward Cullen is Abusive

List by renrae posted over a year ago
Credit to _lina_ and cinders, because they did it first. More credit to this article because that's where this is from. _lina_ used the same one.

------------

Number 1: Someone tells you or he admits that he has hit women in the past. He has talked about his killing sprees, he has killed another woman (Yes, she is a vampire. Who cares?) in front of her. Check!

Number 2: He refers to all women he has dated in the past with derogatory terms. He may also refer to his mother using such terms as well. Not sure about checking this one or not. He says she is the first one he dated, but then he talks of Tanya, the denali vampire, in a way that implies he doesn't like her at all. Half check.

Number 3: He tells you of abuse he has witnessed or has been a part of toward women. When asked if he has ever sought counseling, he says, "No, I never felt I needed it." He may feel guilty about it and promise that he won't do it to you. He constantly talks about killing her, but later on he starts saying he could never do it to her. This is something he also does in the opposite way, saying he knows he could kill her. Eh, check!

Finds fault with all your family and friends once you have confided in him about them or he has met them. Later, he will use what he knows against you in an argument. There is a part in the Twilight series, I'm pretty sure it was Eclipse, that Bella talks to edward about not wanting to talk to charlie about going to Florida. Edward then goes ahead and tells charlie about it. Half check. if you want to comment and tell me why it shouldn't be here, or should be a full check, please do.

Number 4:Shows up unannounced at your job, home, or places you visit (may lead to stalking). May offer to take you to any of these places on a daily basis so that you may grow dependent on him. Hmmmmm.... Seriously. He breaks into her room at night and watches her sleep. He also drives her everywhere, even when she blatantly refuses. Major check!

Number 5: Calls you often wanting to know your plans and in some cases you may have already told him, but he may be checking to see if your story has changed. He expects you to call him wherever you go and will become angry if you don't. Moments in breaking Dawn come to mind. Ditto with Eclipse. The second part (He expects you to...) is probably more fitting then the first, but it still works. Check!

Number 6: He doesn't like who he is and makes regular references about himself as being "stupid," "ugly," "dumb," and asks you, "Why do you want to be with me?" He will also resort to name calling whether he is arguing with you or "just being funny." _lina_ nailed this on the head. If you exchange "stupid", "ugly", and "dumb" for "murderer", "monster," and "killer", it works perfectly. The "Why do you want to be with me?" explains itself.

Number 7: He attempts to control money you have earned and abuses possessions that you have acquired. He often asks for financial assistance, takes over your car and tells you how you should conduct your household. He may encourage you to live with him so that he can further control you. A bit skeptical about this one. He doesn't ask for financial assistance or how to conduct her householf. However, he does buy her a new car and expects her to use it. Plus: the new car is missile proof. MISSILES. Also, Edward sets up Bella and Alice for sleepovers many times for when he leaves to go eat a mountain lion. Half check.

Number 8: He threatens to commit suicide when you try to break up with him. Self explanatory. He literally attempted suicide. Check!

Number 9: He threatens to kill you over anything from wanting to end the relationship to talking to other men. Well, he does get very, very mad at her when she talks to other guys, in particular, Jacob. Another half check.

Number 10: When he is angry with you he keeps you in a room with no access to a phone. He may lock you in the room. Pretty much, he makes Alice kidnap her. He also took the engine out of her car once. check.

Number 11: When you want to visit with a friend, go out to the movies or some other past time, he oftentimes vehemently objects or he uses tactics to make you feel guilty so that you will stay home. I already mentioned that he took part of the engine out of her car. This was to keep her from seeing Jacob, he best friend. Check.

Number 12: He will try to convince you that he is sorry for what he has done and will never do it again, only to do it again, and again. Pretty darn much. Check.

I hope now you see the light and that, yes, Edward is abusive. If you want to say why one of these should have been a Check!, a half-check, or nothing at all please say why in the comments. If you have more reasons Edward is abusive, that is also a good place to put it.

I think we know someone who should read this.

renrae said:
If you are talking about who I think you are talking about, then yes, we do know someone who should read this.

I'm afraid to link though, because of the : Oh my edward you read the book wrong and interperted rong! This is noawt tru cuz edward is just overprotective and he wud nvr hert bellaa!

In think we're talking about the same person.

They'd probably report the spot. A lot. Or spam with comments like: OMG! U ppl havent read twilight u caant now anything about it!!!11!!! Hes not abusie or wahtever he loves her alot and hes the bestest character evr and he has o much personality!!!111!!! ur just jelous cuz ull never get a hawt guy like Edward!!!11!!!!!!

(Yes, it nearly killed me to make so many gramatical errors.) And for the record, I don't like blonde boys. And yes, I count "bronze hair" as blonde.

renrae said:
I do, too.

I dig Ginger. Which could be, in a warped, purple-prose sorta way, described as blonde. >:<

and we are talking about the same person.

I count strawberry blonde hair as blonde, while darker red (which I do like) to be a true redhead.

That's what I though. Or rather, people.

I really didnt want to comment on this but when you were talking about sending this to someone were you referring to me? Because i get the feeling you are,and im not trying to start a fight i just needed to ask. And some of those things you said about Edward being abusive may be true.

And just so you know, i dont speak 'chatspeak' that poorly, and i dont no anyone that does.But then again im not trying to start a fight i just really needed to comment,even though i didnt wont to because i didnt wont this to go too far.

And sorry but this is just bugging me to say this, in Austalia we call 'Red haired'?'Orange haired' people 'Rangas' meaning Orangutan (im not sure if i spelt that right), i think its offensive but some people who get called 'Rangas' dont.
Sorry i had to say that since you two were talking about it.. even though it has nothing to do with what im saying..

No hard feelings.. :) and i hope this ends out good..

Very well explained. Congrats on making your point then proving it. love the t-shirt btw.

umm, TEAM-EDWARD, it's *didn't *this, but *I *are, and *I'm *I *I *don't *I *don't *know *does. But *I'm *I *comment, even *I *didn't *want *I *didn't *want

I'm getting bored, but there are more

im confused by these comments, but, I love the article...smart. And very, very true.

cake
-Grace- said:
BabyOwlLover4: If you can easily understand what they are trying to say, isn't that ok? :) Besides, if it annoys you, there's no need to even read their comments.

Now to the article :D Firstly, I'll say that I think a lot of these points are covered by the fact that he's a vampire.

1. Yes, if a normal boy at school told me how bad he felt about all of the people he had killed, I would not hesitate to call the police ^_^ But if the boy were a vampire who constantly struggles with his urge to kill people (an urge which most vampires don't even consider bothering to struggle with!), I think it's a little different :) I don't think that those steps were created with vampires in mind. Also, the woman he killed in front of her was trying to kill them both. What would you have done? :)

2. I don't understand D: He doesn't refer to Tanya in a derogatory way. He just mentions that she was interested in him, but he didn't feel the same way. Unless this is something he said in Breaking Dawn, which I greatly disliked and only read once (and so cannot remember very well).

3. Again, if he were a normal person talking about his urge to kill her, it would be creepy. But a mythical creature fighting against his (very powerful) instinctual compulsions is different. I think he does well! :) It's so entirely in his nature for him to kill her, and so easily could have when they first met! But he chooses not to. He continues to fight that desire, which he hates, for the rest of the series, until she becomes a vampire. I'm sure many of us here wouldn't be nearly so strong willed! :)

3.5? I don't really understand what you mean here, sorry D;

4. She doesn't mind! She was really flattered that he was watching her sleep. It was a bit of an inappropriate move on his part, but he didn't mean any harm. Of course in real life this would be COMPLETELY unacceptable, because there would be no way to be sure that he didn't mean any harm! But in the books, we know that he didn't. As for him giving her rides to school, he didn't do it so that she would become dependant on him. He did it because he was starting to really like her and he wanted to spend time with her :) If he had decided to stop, she could simply have driven herself!

5. Again, I don't remember Breaking Dawn well, so I can't really comment there. But I don't remember him being that way in Eclipse D: Wasn't he just worried about her spending lots of time with Jacob, or being killed by Victoria?

6. I would say that's more indicative of low self esteem than abuse :\ How is it abusive to her if he thinks lowly of himself?

7. I don't think the car thing was particularly abusive. From what I recall, he just wants her to have a sturdier car so that she won't die in accidents (which she certainly seems to attract!). That's not going to hurt her. It's not his call, so it's quite a bossy thing for him to convince her to do, but bossy isn't the same as abusive, and no one's perfect! I have a guy friend who endlessly tells me what to do!"This YouTube clip is really funny, watch it. Watch all 10 minutes of it. Why won't you watch it? You'll really like it. Just give it a chance", and then he sulks if I won't. But if I really don't want to I just flat out refuse and tell him to stop being so bossy/controlling. I'm sure if Bella seriously told Edward "no" he would listen as well. But it is REALLY annoying, I'll give you that ^_^

8. I thought he said that he would commit suicide if she died?

9. He certainly never threatens to kill her, outside of warning her that he's dangerous because he easily could. He gets angry when she spends time with Jacob, but that's because he recognises that Jacob could quite easily kill her by accident. It's not his call who she spends time with, but it is reasonable for him to worry about that. Plus, she spends time with Jacob in the end anyway, so it's not as if he enforces it.

10. He doesn't have Alice kidnap her because he's angry with her. I can't remember why he does have her kidnap Bella, actually (something to do with Victoria being in town maybe?), but I'm fairly sure it's not because he flies into a rage. I remember him taking the engine out of the car but I don't remember why, so I can't comment there D;

11. Ohh because of Jacob! Yes, again, Jacob is a very real threat. But ultimately, it's not Edward's call if she wants to take that risk, so I think this was unreasonable of him.

12. What does he try to convince her he is sorry about, and will never do again? D:

Thanks very much, that was fun :D

renrae said:
Responding to this in the next comment, thank you for taking the time to write out your thoughts.

renrae said:

(Hope I'm doing HTML right, haven't been on Fanpop in a year!)

See, you can't make exceptions for species. If it would be unacceptable in a relationship between two humans, it should be unacceptable in a relationship between a vampire and a human. He has told her repeatedly that he has killed, has killed in front of her, and has thought, in detail, about how he could go about killing or using violence against her. Bella is at fault here, too: it shows many, many things about her that she is willing to stay with Edward. Most of those things are not good. The point isn't that he was using self defense, the point is that he intentionally maimed and murdered another being in front of her. He had shown her that he is capable of doing that to other beings, and more than capable of doing it to her.

He doesn't outright say anything, but it is heavily implied what he thinks of her and her advances toward him. This point only half applies. (In addition, from the way Edward treats Bella and other women, we can infer that he holds an opinion of women that is both sexist and old-fashioned.)

And again, you cannot say that he gets exceptions for being a vampire. Those actions are still abusive.

3.5? I don't really understand what you mean here, sorry D;

Bella confides in Edward multiple times. She tells him her thoughts and feelings, as well as what she is uncomfortable or upset about. This relates to family, as well. Edward does not acknowledge Bella's feelings here, instead, he decides that Bella and her parents cannot make decisions on their own. Bella ends up leaving Washington, directly against her will, and because Edward told her father that she should. that is a controlling and abusive action.

(continued in next)

sunny
-Grace- said:
I can't find where it is continued, sorry D;

It seems like the main cause of our disagreement is that you don't believe it should be different because he's a vampire, and I do. So, howcome you think the two cases should be considered the same? :) Don't you think that a normal boy being tempted by his girlfriends blood is creepier and more inappropriate than a vampire being tempted by his girlfriends blood? :)

Kloe143 said:
wha ever happened to everyone/everything is equal?? and if you think jacob is a threat then you should look at it from someone elses point of view and you will see that edward is an even bigger threat because bella is obssesed(sorry probably not right)with edward.

Kloe143 said:
oops sorry what

smirk
most of the people who make this stuff haven't read twilight, if they had, they'd see there was no point to writing it out... and most of this deosn't make sense...

it just looks like someone was bored one day!

selenadh said:
Edward loves her very much thats way he is so creepy and over protective he is not abusive he can be unreasonable at times but no ones perfect

smirk
selenadh said:
to twilight-quirk1
the enternet is to occupy those who are bored since the satan finds work for the idle

Why don't I sum this up in a few sentences?

Edward= Over protective jerk, basically a teenage boy with super strength used to getting his own way.

Bella= Silly for letting a BOY take over her life (when I say take over I mean in the figurative sense not literally, just in that all she does if see him)just because she is in love with him.
PUR-LEASE!

Films= First one was okay, good music and setting. Kristin being poorly suited to the role not that noticeable. The Rest: Excruciating.

Books= okay, as long as you don't read too much into it. As soon as you do it becomes morbid and creepy.

Exactly.

Fluffers said:
Edward's main food-source used to be humans. To blame him for wanting to eat might be easy, but if your instincts were as powerful as his, you might be a bit more sympathetic. Are all vampires going to be abusive simply because they feel the need to eat? If killing someone in the past makes you automatically abusive, does that mean no war veterans should be in a relationship? If we can liken PTSD to the loss of control a Vampire may experience, should either one abstain from a relationship on the chance that their lover could die at their hands without them realizing what's happening?

I don't really think having an opinion of someone that's anything other than positive is a warning sign for abuse. I have a negative opinion of a couple of guys I dated or that were interested in me in the past. If I called them b*****ds and talked about how horrible and awful they were all the time, it might mean something, but negative opinions are simply human to have. Not all of your exes will be perfect.

He does worry he might kill her, but it's not exactly something you can get therapy for. He is very cautious around her and removes himself from any situation in which he might endanger her, not to mention he has proven multiple times that he does have the self-control to contain himself in even very tempting situations.

I agree with point number 4. If he was creeping on me like that, unless I knew he was protecting me from an immediate danger, I would not allow it. In reading the book, even as a 6th grader, I knew it wasn't normal or healthy.

Low self-esteem is not a sign of abuse. Using your low self-esteem to guilt someone into doing something, such as staying in the relationship, is. Edward is willing to let her run along and love her from afar, and often encourages her to do this. He does not use his self-loathing to garner sympathy or coerce her at all.

I don't see anything abusive about buying your accident-prone girlfriend a missile-proof car. I mean, if anything it was a half-serious attempt at humor on his part. He was probably convinced that a missile would find her with her luck. I personally see her refusal to drive it as somewhat rude, but I also understand her mindset that accepting his expensive gifts would lessen her independence.

As for the suicide thing, he thought she was dead. He wasn't holding it as leverage to keep her, which is what point 8 is referring to. Emo, yes. Abusive, no.

For number 9, I almost agree. Except her actions effect more than just herself and Jacob, the two offending parties. If she messes up or says the wrong thing, people could die. While Edward's methods of getting her to comply are inexcusable, she is also acting very selfishly. To protect one's own family from the reckless actions of one's love, how far is it acceptable to go? It may warrant some thinking.

For point number 10, he does not do these things out of anger, but out of an attempt to keep her safe. In both situations, as far as I'm aware of, she has access to a phone.

the rest I don't know what to say about because I don't remember the book so well. But I think he does well, considering his special circumstances.

Just letting you know my point of view. It might not be important or even right, but maybe something will be helpful toward the discussion.

TheBox said:
Twilight= The story of a suicidal girl who can't decide between a controlling dead guy or a dog.

dr.marnish helped me to bring back my lover now i refer many clients to call him +15036626930 him for help , i wish everyone who want his or her lover back to contact dr.marnish@yahoo.com
Rodney Adams

Allies57 said:
Twilight= A fanfic about Meyer's avatar in an abusive relationship with a bloodsucking fairy.