Disney Princess Unpopular Disney opinions (confessions)

viktoriya773 posted on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:53PM
Post your unpopular Disney opinion here. Express your opinion about not only DP but Disney in general. Please be respectful about each other's opinions and don't bash someone because of it. Say "I disagree/agree with you because..." I'm sure everyone is mature enough to handle it.

Disney Princess 810 replies

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 501-550 of 810

over a year ago mhs1025 said…
This just dawned on me. Aside from Anna and Elsa, what if we had 2 DP's who were sisters, but here's the catch-what if they were TWINS? What do y'all think about that? Personally, I think it'd be pretty cool.
scarletunicorn commented…
People would be very confused, I think. That is, the same people who think Aurora's name is "Sleeping Beauty". over a year ago
mhs1025 commented…
^ That IS if they were identical. over a year ago
over a year ago MalloMar said…
I think Belle and Cinderella are somewhat similar in personality, but Cinderella is a favorite DP of mine and Belle is one of my least favorites.
anukriti2409 commented…
i know how it feels! Ariel and Merida are alike when you think of it, but they are at my opposite ends of the list over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
same here. I also see some of Aurora's imagination in Belle though Aurora and Cinderella are high while Belle's always been low for some reason. over a year ago
over a year ago KataraLover said…
Ariel was NOT a victim of abuse! I hate when Ariel is demonized, but I also hate when people demonize King Triton. He wasn't sexist towards her or really mean, he acted like a real parent. I saw nothing about him that was sexist. He doesn't hit her, insult her, or anything of any kind of abuse. He just wanted to protect his daughter because he loves her. One of the reasons I love The Little Mermaid so much is because it shows that, while both Ariel and Triton have different views, both also have good intentions, but go about it the wrong way. Triton wants to protect his daughter but does drive her away and let his temper get the best of him. Ariel wants to prove that not all humans are evil and to be part of their world, but no one was forcing her to go to Ursula. They were both at fault with the events that happened in the movie, but in the end, they do end up understanding each other. There is a lot of obvious love between them and they do truly care about each other. It drives me nuts how people find one to basically be an evil monster and yet excuse the other one as guiltless.
anukriti2409 commented…
I completely agree. Both were equally at fault by thinking only they are right. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
I have to politely disgree with you. I would have felt better about King Triton if he had tried to listen to his daughter. Ariel literally TRIES to explain to her dad multiple times, about humans, about outcasts, about potential "friends" that are to be made. Triton sometimes listens to her ( in the TV show), but he always falls back on his own xenophobia of everything, in particular-- humans. For every argument Ariel makes, Triton agrees with her for a little while...and then regresses back to believing as he did before. I guess, what made me pull the plug on Triton was his continued destruction of all of the items in his daughter's grotto, despite Ariel's loud and tearful pleas for mercy. Triton showed no mercy, and he let his anger rule him ( similar to the way Tiana treats Ray). Although Triton does redeem himself at the end of the movie, I still find him a very authoritarian "my way or the highway" parent. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
Ariel is headstrong, naive, and reckless, but she didn't deserve NOT to have "a hearing." And that is what Triton denied her. Ursula just exploited the whole friction between father and daughter and "struck gold" by taking advantage of Ariel's weakened emotional state in the aftermath of Triton's anger. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
. If this is an argument of who is right or wrong, the Disney Wiki site already says that Triton is "extremely strict" and his assumption that all humans are killers truly sets up the conflict in the movie. Disney itself label’s Triton an "antagonist/anti-hero" for most of the length of Ariel's Beginning. link So when I conclude that Triton can be abusive, I think this is "a logical argument" based on an assembly of facts. I view Elinor the same way as Triton. She forces her daughter to the limit, and backs Merida into a corner over the whole marriage thing... and Merida, desperate to put an end to being married off-- goes for the drastic alternative. Elinor leaves Merida little recourse, and Triton leaves Ariel little recourse. over a year ago
over a year ago PrincessAyeka12 said…
I don't care about Pocahontas. I don't care about her history. I don't remember learning about her in school. Not surprising though, the last time I took history lessons in a school setting was 17 years ago. And since then I've been getting my history lessons from movies, books I'm interested in and tv dramas. I find history documentaries a bore unless it's apart of the special features from a movie. I can't watch Pocahontas anymore. I tried to watch it recently and turned it off after twenty minutes. The songs are great and the sunset, colours of the wind, rainbows and mists are beautiful visuals. But otherwise the story is boring. Pocahontas is dull, although I will admit that her hair is beautiful even if the texture is unrealistic and as thin as paper. Pocahontas is clearly a copy of Ariel but perhaps a little bit more mature or strong. I love Ariel so much more! Avatar the movie is like a crossover of Pocahontas, Fern Gully and more. The romance, battle over the land and spirituality is superior to Pocahontas. Fern Gully is second best in my opinion. Making Pocahontas last and the weakest.

Warning: Sensitive Person alert! Please don't flame me!
last edited over a year ago
MalloMar commented…
I don't completely agree. I like the movie Pocahontas, but as everyone knows, it's much different from the true history. I do like Ferngully more then the average animation fan, and I think I prefer it to Pocahontas (which I enjoy). over a year ago
laylastepford commented…
^ My sentiments exactly. over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
I don't think she's a copy. Ariel cares more about her own desires and values rather than just following tradition and sticking to her own people. Poca is interested in others but ultimately decides staying with her own people is more important. Poca is not at all determined and confident like Ariel and Ariel is more impulsive and outgoing. they do have a lot in common, but they also have many differences. over a year ago
over a year ago scarletunicorn said…
I'm getting tired of seeing Star Wars and Marvel everywhere...Gah. It's specially telling since i'm not that big a fan of Star Wars, and I hate the MCU (but i like the older Marvel comics, strangely enough).
wavesurf commented…
^This is going to sound awkward...but ever since George Lucas gave Star Wars to Disney, Disney has been milking that franchise for all its worth, too ( the same way they did Frozen). So, yeah, the pattern of excessive merchandizing is present in both. over a year ago
over a year ago hirohamada said…
wink
I love Merida despite her fiery personality and being bad to her mother. She feels sorry in the end and learns from her mistake and misunderstanding which makes her very realistic. Her explosiveness and independence seem very different from the rest of the princesses. In fact, I adore her archery skill and I have a thing for Medieval story.
anukriti2409 commented…
I love Merida too! I love her self confidence and her dedication to get what she want but not at the cost of her family over a year ago
UnholyNoise commented…
Merida's my second-favorite DP, I love how realistic she is, and I'm a huge fan of her design. It took me a long time to separate my feelings about Brave (which could have been so much better) from my feelings about Merida. But now that I have, I find I appreciate her a lot more. :) over a year ago
over a year ago pocalan said…
Rapunzel is overrated
Belle is the best heroine of the original 6
hirohamada commented…
I agree with you. Rapunzel is definitely overrated, and Belle is my favorite among the oldest 6 princesses. over a year ago
anukriti2409 commented…
dont agree that Rapunzel is overrated. Belle is my favorite too though. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^Ariel is not just impulsive. She is brave, too. over a year ago
over a year ago WinterSpirit809 said…
I really get annoyed at everyone making a big deal with movies without poc. Tumblr mainly, but I can't stand it. Call me a racist, but getting upset when white people makes up the main cast is really annoying. It's kind of like the Princess and the Frog thing. Actually when people make a big deal over color at all in Disney movies or anywhere is really annoying. Black, white, Asian or Hispano. I get representation and all but Disney has had plenty of representation with and without color. Big Hero 6 and Mulan are good examples of that! Disney is not going to include poc in every movie, and sometimes they don't even include white people (Mulan anyone?). But you can't claim Disney is being "racist" for this.

I'm not trying to sound racist because I know many people will hate me for this. I don't know if this is an "unpopular" opinion but it's not addressed as often as it should be. Maybe people are afraid, because so am I to hit the post button, but here's my unpopular opinion.
anukriti2409 commented…
i agree with you 100%. Being an Indian, i feel it is stupid to obsess so much over color of DPs. It should be foremost about the story and character being fit into it, rather than vice versa. Disney shouldn't owe anyone any representation, it is about fairytales and not about color or race of the DP over a year ago
MalloMar commented…
And while I stand by what I said, I do agree with AangLite, that white shouldn't be the 'default' race in these movies. over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
agreed. personality and moral of the story first, culture second, race last for me. over a year ago
I'm not looking forward to Zootopia. i feel the subject has been done to death, and i also feel it's very childish and dunno, it seems lately that most 3D films seem to be done mostly for the younger audiences. Which isn't bad, but it's just not my thing.
AangLite commented…
My only problem is that I feel like the trailer gave away the entire plot of the movie. It looks like just a normal coming of age story with a character proving she's more than she appears. You're right it is a bit rehashed. I do think the original teaser with the sloths was hilarious and very clever, and I'll probably watch the movie just for funny moments like that. It seems like most adults i talk to have the same opinion too. over a year ago
MalloMar commented…
Somewhat agree. It does looks sort of unoriginal as AangLite said. Dang, I liked those sloths though! over a year ago
hirohamada commented…
Yeah, I'm not excited about Zootopia either. Kinda agree with you over a year ago
This will slightly contradict the above post, but I have to say it- i love seeing humanized versions of Disney/Pixar characters! Often the designs can be really creative, and I love especially the designs that have a little more thought put into them with the context and all (aka Lion King characters depicted as african tribe members, Gill from Finding Nemo missing an arm...) I dunno I think it's neat and much cooler than gender bending.
I have an interesting history with Merida...So, back when I first saw Brave, in 2012, I really liked her, but back then I was kinda edgy and behaved like a typical internet teen with my angst and glorification of bad attitude and "strong female characters". I also was into Korra and the Avengers- I was consuming new media like mad. I liked Brave for its "strong female characters" and assumed everyone who disliked it was a misogynist (yeah, I was one of THOSE girls *shudder*). My 2012 was pretty much all that way (it was a turbulent year).

I grew up massively in 2013, and most of my interests changed. I began consuming less new media and began disliking things I previously liked. Somebody disliking a female character in my eyes wasn't a misogynist anymore (unless they disliked her for TRULY misogynistic reasons, but simply disliking her wasn't an option). My attitude massively changed and I began to dislike Brave, Merida and characters like her. I thought of her to be a selfish brat and I could not understand how many girls saw her as an empowering role model, for then I saw her as a selfish brat who poisoned her mother just because of a temper tantrum.

But then, in 2014...My opinions massively changed. Alright, I was still conservative and still held some of the same thoughts as in 2013 (so no more edgy teen behavior or glorification of Strong Mary Sues from me), but my thoughts about Brave change. I saw the film again, and while Merida's flaws were noticeable, her good parts also appeared more. Her funny and adventurous side, and the fact that she grows and changes during her story. She felt much more charismatic and realistic in my eyes. She quickly became my favorite princess afterwards.

So...That's much of it. I like my female characters varied, but flawed. And it's really surprising how much your opinion on a character changes when you change the way you think.
AangLite commented…
I've alawys seen Merida as the wisest of the DP bunch. No one else does so much wrong, and then does so much else to fix her mistakes. I agree, there's definitely a sense of realness to her that i just adore. I'm glad to see how far you've come when it comes to this character :) over a year ago
UnholyNoise commented…
I've said it before - and I guess this is an unpopular opinion in itself - but the Revival has done the best job at really humanizing its female leads, especially Merida. over a year ago
anukriti2409 commented…
I have always loved Merida for her "realistic" kind of character - making mistakes, accepting and learning from them is a big part of our lives. So that makes me really see her as someone i'd know (though i'm and was like her in many ways). I love her adventurous and free-spirited side, add to it her rebellion and her quick wit, and i just love her even more. I'd say she's the most intelligent DP for me. over a year ago
Mowgli is so cute!

Seriously, he might be my favorite Disney kid after Hiro.
over a year ago TheMusicalMolls said…
I think Rapunzel's singing voice is really pretty. It might not be the general, powerhouse, musical theater type voice that most other princesses have, but it has a nice, modern sound to it and I just really like it! (and this is coming from a hardcore theater girl, so I'm not biased!)
AangLite commented…
I totally agree! A lot of people don't like the breathy sound of her voice, but I find it very charming. It sounds less sophisticated like Belle and Aurora, and more childlike. And I think it really helps embody who Rapunzel is before she leaves the tower. over a year ago
MalloMar commented…
It's very pretty, and I'd recognize Mandy's voice anywhere. :) over a year ago
UnholyNoise commented…
I actually think her voice is the least awful of the moderns (minus Tiana of course!) - I never really cared for Kristen Bell, and Idina Menzel's voice in Let It Go is excruciating. over a year ago
hirohamada commented…
Sorry, but i disagree. to me, her singing voice is annoying because it's too whisper-y and weak. her singing voice doesn't suit rapunzel's personality. over a year ago
I don't actually like Cinderella's iconic ballgown that much. It's a really weird design to me, and that choker and headband are just strange. It looks pretty nice in the movie, but looking closely I find that it's not that beautiful.
I personally never got the appeal of the overgrown peplums that she had at the sides. over a year ago
MalloMar commented…
^That's the only thing I dislike about the dress. It does look much better in motion than in a frame. I think it's beautiful, and I like the choker and headband. over a year ago
hirohamada commented…
When I was younger I also dislike Cinderella's gown, especially her round sleeves. I also found her headband is weird. But now as I grow older, I've started to fall in love with that gown, I like the sparkles and glitters on her dress over a year ago
over a year ago hirohamada said…
zzz
Before I came to disney princess club on fanpop, I never really thought of my favorite DP list. I only have some princesses I love and some princesses I don't love. It's very difficult for me to make an ordered list and until now, I haven't figured out my favorite DP list.
MalloMar commented…
I completely understand that one. I can't put a list in exact order. over a year ago
audreygrace412 commented…
Same here! over a year ago
I don't think Merida is all that attractive. I know a lot of people will say that's not unpopular, but it seems to be pretty popular here on Fanpop that's beautiful. Her hair is GORGEOUS and she has the most beautiful hair out of all the Disney Princesses in my opinion, plus she has a good and realistic body, but that's it. She's literally baby-faced, I don't mean baby-face as in young looking, I mean her face actually looks like it belongs to a 2-6-month-old baby. She's cute, but she's nothing special looking and definitely the least attractive of all the Disney Princesses. She may look unique but that doesn't mean she's beautiful just because she doesn't look like the typical beautiful girl. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but she looks like a baby that had it's face attached a grown up body. If it wasn't for her hair I don't think people would find her very attractive, I mean, just look at this picture of her I screencaped of her when the animators were constructing her.
I don't think Merida is all that attractive. I know a lot of people will say that's not unpopular, bu
wavesurf commented…
I knew that Brave won the Oscar in 2012, not because it was an entirely great movie ( it is not), nor because Merida is attractive. It won PIXAR an Oscar because of Merida's hair--- literally, that was the real reason the movie won over Wreck It Ralph. And I still think to this day that Wreck-It Ralph is the better movie, and is far better than watching Merida act a fool and get her comeuppance. over a year ago
UnholyNoise commented…
Merida is cute, even with all the hair chopped off. I can't imagine too many of the conventionally attractive ladies being able to rock the bald look, either. Brave wasn't the greatest movie - it probabaly would have been a lot better if Pixar hadn't switched directors halfway through. But it didn't win just because of Merida's hair, that's ridiculous. If anything, it's because of the pro-Pixar bias at the academy. They also have a habit of picking a movie based on what it's trying to say rather than how well the movie says it. Basically giving Brave credit for trying something different, even if it wasn't actually a better movie. over a year ago
incisron commented…
Yes, I like her fiery, floating, voluminous hair, but she's ugly as heck otherwise. over a year ago
I prefer the cookie-cutter look to the unconventional look. I know there have been people saying this isn't unpopular because they've been complaining about the opposite, but that's what makes me see this as unpopular here on Fanpop. Just because someone is unique looking it doesn't mean they're beautiful. I mean, it's one thing to make a character look different and unique, but it's another to go so extreme that they just look weird. I'd MUCH rather look at Ariel than I would Merida! I'd MUCH rather look at Tiana than I would Megara! I'd MUCH rather look at Belle than I would Jane! I'd MUCH rather look at Pocahontas than I would Nani! I'd go on with more examples but I'd just be beating a dead horse. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, but it seems like people are just tired of the typical beauty look and just want different looks, which is fine, but don't shame traditional beauties.
wavesurf commented…
Beauty is defiitely in the eye of the beholder. Yes, to me, Merida, Tiana, and Belle all look homely next to Aurora and Esmeralda. But if people love their favorites, they are kind of loathe to say that they are unattractive. It is a sort of bias that comes out with liking something. over a year ago
I agree with your opinion, on multiple levels. Especially when people claim some characters are "unrealistic". Just because not all women look like Adriana Lima or Gisele Bündchen doesn't make them "nonexistant". over a year ago
AdelitaI commented…
I have nothing against DPs or animated heroines in general that aren't classically beautiful. I don't think there is a correlation between beauty and being a good character( I can't stand "SJWs ruined Disney, new princesses' designs mean Disney degrades! Make Disney great again!"). I don't find Miriam from Prince of Egypt beautiful but I do find her a great character, a better and a more admirable one than many other more beautiful animated females( e.g. Anastasia and Ariel). But, yes, I agree with KataraLover that unique-looking and beautiful are different things. In my opinion Miriam is the former but not the latter( although it doesn't make her any less of perfect character). over a year ago
over a year ago wavesurf said…
I'm watching Brave again. I'd forgotten how much this movie put me on edge. Turns out, this is not exactly a fun movie for me, either. It is very taxing to watch, actually. I still identify with Elinor a bit more than I do with Merida. Merida acts sooooo short-sighted. Merida just has this insufferable "I'm-always-irritable" complex. Merida flounces about being rebellious, headstrong, excessively rude, and prone to schadenfreude ( her laughing at the falcon pecking at her father’s scalp is horrid, and so is the fact that she rips her mother’s tapestry in a fit of anger)… Merida has zero self-control. That is not a role model. I like her, but I don’t love her, because it’s deceptively simple. Merida is unkind. I could not be friends with Merida in real life, and neither could Mulan. I just realized while watching Brave, again, that I have a lot of Mulan's sensibilities ( and it matters to me that I honor my own parents and their wishes), and those are traits that are anathema to Merida. Merida would just glare at me for being obedient, disrespect me for showing respect to others like Mulan does, and would make fun of me just for the heck of it. I’ve met people in real life who definitely had Merida’s personality spot on. They weren’t “nice” people, and they usually just picked on me because it was a way to amuse themselves.
incisron commented…
I agree. I thought it was weird how Mulan and Merida get compared. I also found it interesting how gentle, shy and nice Mulan was compared to other "independent" characters like Jasmine and Merida, who would be yelling at the patriarchy and kicking a## to prove themselves, but maybe its because of the politics behind the movie Mulan. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^Ah. Yeah. I'd forgotten, but there was a whole lot of yelling in Brave ( between mother and daughter over the course of the movie), and only one yelling episode in the entire father-daughter relationship in Mulan. I dunno. I don't like it when people start yelling at each other. I think it "drives me away" from the movie. Chinese culture is strict, though, so I do gather that much from the Mulan movie. But I think Disney now equates yelling/ rebelling as making the characterization of "a strong princess." That's not what a strong princess is. Achievement makes a strong princess. Unfortunately, it makes the modern era girls collectively look like hot-headed women, who just spend most of their available time griping, yelling, and being angry at others. And who wants to hang out with an angry person? Definitely not me. over a year ago
over a year ago UnholyNoise said…
Yeah sorry, but the amount of time a character spends on screen has almost nothing to do with how developed, interesting, or important they are to a movie. You could be around for a few scenes and have a ton of influence on how things turn out or you could eat up lots of screen time but the movie wouldn't be changed much if you weren't in it.

I'm thinking of Aurora here, who gets dumped on a lot because she isn't around much, but she drives so much of the plot. And she does have distinctive character traits, both positive and negative; she's not a blank slate at all. Not every aspect of a character's personality has to be spelled out.
wavesurf commented…
^Agreed. Aurora is a "big fixture" in the fairytale of Sleeping Beauty. Even in the less "savory" versions of the tale, she is the focus of the tale...so dismissing her from the plot kind of ruins the whole point of the story, yeah? over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
thank you. that bothers me (especially since, like I've said before, nobody craps on Elsa for that same reason). if anything it's impressive we see as much as we do of her personality from that short time. I mean, look at Fantasia and Fantasia 2000: you can very easily see each character's personality, and in addition to having short screen time, they don't even speak. if people think you need a lot of screen time to be interesting or have personality traits, they must not know how personalities work. over a year ago
I agree. over a year ago
I don't get what's with everyone always hating on Brave. I admit there was a time when I didn't like it, but the way some people exaggerate the hatred they have for the movie...As if the movie killed their dog or something. "THE WORST PIXAR MOVIE!!!" "THE WORST DISNEY MOVIE!!" It is flawed and a little clunky at times but not really "rage-inducing" imo. Normally this type of hatred would be given to something like Pocahontas or the like.
wavesurf commented…
Uh. I avoid Disney Confessions. I've read some of them. Nasty stuff.... over a year ago
mhs1025 commented…
THANK YOU for speakin' my language! I also hate why DP lovers hate on Merida because she's Pixar. That irritates the living s**t out of me! over a year ago
TBH this page is much more relaxing and i like saying my confessions here. On places like Disneyconfessions it's always either depressing personal shit or people raging hard for liking this princess, not liking this princess, being a bigot just cause you don't like this one movie, etc etc.

At least here we can discuss things like themes and characters in a more rationalized manner, at least i often think so. Dunno i'm just tired of the name-calling and assumption and those depressing way too personal stories.
wavesurf commented…
People did the same thing on IMDB.com. If you didn't like Frozen-- they ripped you apart verbally. Just avoid the sites that cater to those types. Or spend more time off of the internet.* * I do this a lot. over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
^^ugh, yes. The Frozen fans (mainly Elsa fans) were crazy. you can't criticize Frozen unless it's to blame Anna for everything that went wrong. and I agree about WDC. that place has some hidden gems, but is otherwise pretty toxic. then you have WDCRage... over a year ago
I think The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a movie that is both perfectly-rated and underrated at the same time. What do I mean by this? Well, it's clear that it has A LOT of fans and those fans are HARDCORE! I hear people say it's underrated so much and for a long time I didn't know why, since it has such a MASSIVE and passionate fanbase. But recently I do understand why it's considered underrated. It's not that it's underrated with audiences, it's that it's underrated in merchandise and the media. I guess since it was controversial when it came out that Disney has kept the movie out of the spotlight, especially now that it's being hogged by the awful movie Frozen. When you think about it there really aren't a lot of merchandise that's for The Hunchback of Notre Dame. You see merchandise for The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and ESPECIALLY Frozen. But when was the last time you saw merchandise for The Hunchback of Notre Dame? I don't even recall there being anything for it at Disney World. So it actually is underrated because Disney is refusing to advertise it, just like how they refuse to stop with Frozen, but I've ranted enough about that.
wavesurf commented…
^Hunchback of Notre Dame mechandise is especially hard to find. No doubt about it. I mean, I was able to find an Esmeralda snow globe and an Esmeralda figurine and stamper thingy, but that movie doesn't have a lot. There's five snowglobes ( one especially rare European version), some assorted music boxes and ornaments, and a few plastic dolls/puppets. But Disney, like you said, does not ADVERTISE them at all, anymore. I guess, I'm lucky to get what I did get, and whatever I am able to find is a plus. over a year ago
It used to be advertised more and Esmeralda was even in the DP line up. It's hard to find solid evidence of what really happened online but consensus seems to be that parents felt the movie and/or characters and themes within were too inappropriate for the family audience that Disney is normally geared too. I THINK there is more Hunchback of Notre Dame references at Disney Paris but I'm speculating on this last point. over a year ago
incisron commented…
Maybe its unpopular because it's not kid friendly. over a year ago
A Kingdom Hearts animated series/anime would have been pretty awesome imo. Stuff would be condensed and easier to understand than the games and it could take cues of humor and good characterization from the manga. It would even get more people into the games.

IDK seems like a wasted opportunity for Disney to not have made that show to its fullest (they originally planned on making the series, but desisted with the idea since they didn't wanna contradict the canon of the games). I guess, since the games already work like a show/movie there's no point in a series, still...
MalloMar commented…
I think it'd work well as a show. Great series, can be a bit complex (So *insert character's name* was really a heartless all along, *insert character's name* wasn't really dead, etc.) Anyway, one of my favorite game series nonetheless and I'd enjoy an animated series. over a year ago
^Goodness, yes, the series could work great as a show (not movie since stuff would be incredibly condensed and the series is so complex and confusing it'd be a nightmare of a movie to make out of). But I see potential for a series, the series are likable and interesting and the concept is just so cool. At least Disney should just pay more attention to it, like giving it more appreciation at the stores or the parks...I feel like the Kingdom Hearts aspect of Disney is often left to the side, like ignored or its own thing...And that's not fair. They're still Disney characters and deserve love too. I'd love to see a Sora face character at the parks, or a Princess Kairi doll...C'me on Disney the fandom's give enough give 'em a bone over a year ago
And I've just been told that they planned to have the jungle Book in the animated series!!! Goodness i'm so disappointed, once again that film's been shafted to the side...Then again i wonder if it would've been cool, since later Jungle Book stuff is kinda mediocre (Tailspin, Jungle Cubs, the sequel...) I'm kinda hoping the remake is good at least over a year ago
I just made a wall post similar to this, but I feel the need to say it in here, too-when in the hell is Disney EVER gonna get creative again?!? I'm getting kinda tired of them remaking movies they've already made. (A majority of 'em are already successes!) No offense to the people who LIKE the remakes that have already come out, but I just want to see Disney's creative side again.
wavesurf commented…
^^Yup. With the kind of mass hysteria and the divisiveness in the fanbase that Frozen caused...a whole LOT is riding on Moana... over a year ago
Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Frozen, Zootopia, Moana...Not to mention stuff like Tomorrowland or into the Woods. Disney is doing, and they're probably at their most creative peak since the 90s... over a year ago
mhs1025 commented…
^ Gotcha. And to ScarletUnicorn-I forgot about Tomorrowland. over a year ago
Whenever I've done polls about comparing a Disney Princess to a modern singer or where they would rank on their best Disney Princess singing voice list, I've always heard "They're too modern." So freaking what? If you don't like their voices for being "too modern" why aren't you complaining about Snow White or Cinderella having voices that are too old fashioned? Yes, I know there are people who think Snow White's voice is too high, but I've seen several defend her saying that was the style back then. So Snow White gets the excuse to her voice is dated because of the style back then, but modern singers are called "too modern?" Just because something is modern doesn't make it bad or not as good as older generations. If the voice isn't your personal taste, that's fine, but saying it's "too modern" just annoys me to no end, especially if you're comparing them to old fashioned voiced that are dated. No offense to anyone.
I wish people would stop hating on Tiana just because she's serious about her work. When people are really committed to what they love, they want to work really hard on it. She especially had to work hard on her restaurant because she was an African American woman living in that time, so she faced some discrimination. Yes, Tiana can be a little rude, but every character has flaws. She doesn't need to be hated on for being serious about her work.
wavesurf commented…
^I don't hate her. I hate her "personality" which is different from her ambition. You can be ambitious and achieve your personal life-long goals without being snide, condescending, and rude to other people while doing it. And Tiana is ambitious, but so is Mulan ( to become the best soldier she can be). But you'll notice that Mulan isn't particularly rude or mean to Chien-Po, Ling, Yao and the rest. She does not say something nasty to them about their hopes and goals. Tiana issues short derogatory quips at other people about their dreams and hopes. That's a bad quality, and it gets on my nerves amazingly fast. If you want to be such a nitpick, Tiana, go somewhere else please. That's why I dislike Tiana. I don't dislike Tiana for her ambition. Ambition and being hard-working are fine qualities. Being nagging, condescending, and hypercritical of other people is an enormous turn-off. That's why I dislike her. over a year ago
TheMusicalMolls commented…
She is a little rude at times, but I have to say I feel her pain. How would you feel if some snobby, annoying dude (in frog form) told you that you would get your heart's desire if you kissed him (ew), and when you did, you turned into a frog yourself and literally had to fight for your survival and take a long journey to find a way to get back, if any? And the whole time you're accompanied by an annoying, lazy bum who barely helps you. I don't blame her for being a little snippy toward him. Other than that, when does she act "snide, condescending, and rude" or issue "short derogatory quips at other people about their dreams and hopes"? I respect your opinion, but I'm not sure we see eye-to-eye on it. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
Copied from wall discussion: Tiana is hypercritical of her friends, and negative when it comes to passing judgement on their dreams. Nuff said. over a year ago
I'm so excited for the Jungle Book remake...At first I was doubting since Disney screwed big time with Alice and Sleeping Beauty, and I didn't want another fave Disney film get mistreated by the remake...But based on the trailer it looks great! I hope it's a big success...I want to be flooded with JB merchandise and appreciation in the fandom. :)
wavesurf commented…
^I never was a big JB fan, but I never developed a real "stance" on the movie either. So, this is me saying I will look at this remake with "fresh eyes." I happened to enjoy Alice in Wonderland ( Tim Burton's), and I did enjoy Maleficent's take on SB, and LOVED Cinderella 2015. So...I'm not opposed to this. Not exactly. I have a Baloo and Mowgli snowglobe, anyway. ;) over a year ago
KataraLover commented…
I was never a huge fan of The Jungle Book. I just find it to be really bland, lacks development, and the protagonist is boring as hell. It's strange because I usually like little kid characters, but Mowgli is just so uninteresting. Shanti sing my favorite song in the movie, though she's dull and I find her to be MUCH better in the sequel (though that movie isn't very good). But it is a good movie because I like the characters (except for Mowgli and Shanti) and the songs. I just wish it was darker like the book and followed the book more closely. But I hear the live-action remake is going to have aspects of both the movie and the book because one director grew up with the movie and the other grew up with the book. I personally am looking forward to the live-action remake and think it'll be amazing. I know I'm gonna like it more than the original. over a year ago
ItIsOlivia commented…
I'm feeling a lot of shade being, for lack of a better term, thrown. But anyway I'm looking forward to Jungle book too, even though I never really am for live action remakes, besides the anouncment for Mulan's re-make, but the trailers got me hype. Also when you said JB I thought of Justin Beiber and I was just like "NO NO NO NO." XD I gotta start reading things better. over a year ago
Eh. When people say the following names of each princess, these descriptions come to mind...exclusively based on the personalities of each princess during their screentime. So, at the mere mention of their names, I can't help but draw these conclusions.

When people say Snow White, I think...the bossy and motherly type.

When people say Cinderella, I think...the hard-working, long-suffering, and kind one.

When people say Aurora, I think...the dreamy, beautiful, sleepy girl.

When people say Ariel, I think..the bubbly, impulsive, and sweet-natured mermaid.

When people say Belle, I think...the head-in-the-clouds, small-town snob, who has a big mouth.

When people say Jasmine, I think...the spitfire with a generous side.

When people say Pocahontas, I think...the ambivalent and wistful one.

When people say Mulan, I think...the dedicated, brave, and sacrificial girl.

When people say Tiana, I think...the rude, meddlesome nag.

When people say Rapunzel, I think...the sunny, social-butterfly.

When people say Merida, I think...the courageous but conniving bully.

When people say Anna, I think...the silly, winging-it, younger sister.

When people say Elsa, I think...the reclusive, terror-stricken, older sister.
MomoMyGogo commented…
These kind of posts don't belong on this forum. This is the unpopular opinions forum, yet nothing you said about any of these princesses necessarily fit the description of unpopular. You're really just trying to stretch this forums purpose as much as you can so that you have an excuse to put your favorites on a pedestal and make your least favorites look like terrible people. Your post legitimately has no purpose other than to present a one-sided straw-man opinions. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^And your post is meant to legitimately discredit my views...which are not the views shared by lots of people on this club--which is why I put this post in the unpopular opinions slot in the first place! To get to the meat of fhe matter, YOU'RE UPSET at my participation in this club, so you feel the need to tell me that I "stretch the purpose of things," and "present one-sided straw-man opinions" and whatnot. STRANGE, that you've NEVER posted anywhere else, under ANYBODY else's dissenting opinions. I think your response post proves that I'm your target, and you're the one with the problem, not me. over a year ago
coolsinger198 commented…
Everyone has the right to their own opinion. over a year ago
over a year ago ItIsOlivia said…
Belle's looks were more disappointing to me than her prince's. I mean he's called beast, but she's called beauty and I just don't see it. Then again my prettiest is Merida, but I still like conventional beauties like Cinderella, Tiana, and Rapunzel.
incisron commented…
I agree. Belle wasn't as beautiful as she could have been. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
Okay, I do agree with you, here. I've always found Belle really "plain" in the looks department, (which totally skewed some of my perception of the movie btw). To this day, I still can't figure out why the townspeople were fawning over her looks. over a year ago
Although I love her as a character, I don't see Ariel as gorgeous. I just think her hair is too bright and looks the least real of the DP's hair, her forehead is HUGE...but she is beautiful on the inside.
wavesurf commented…
Looks really don't rate highly on my personal score for a DP. I rate a character or DP higher if she is a nice person to be around, cracks jokes, laughs, is empathetic, is not overly critical, etc. Physical looks deteriorate, and beauty can differ in the eyes of the beholder. I want attributes, stuff personalities are made of.. over a year ago
WinterSpirit809 commented…
Yeah I love Ariel but I just don't find her pretty, but my most ugliest princess is within my top 5 lol:) over a year ago
ItIsOlivia commented…
^B-But she's my prettiest ;-; Anyway, though I dislike Ariel as a character, I actually think shes really pretty. Maybe I don't love her cherry red hair, but she's really pretty to me. over a year ago
I'm in the middle of the whole Frozen thing. I love Frozen, but the fans are so rude. They can't admit that Frozen has flaws, they have a hard time grasping the concept that NOT EVERYONE LIKES FROZEN, and they get hurt when people stand up to them. The haters, however aren't that much better there are haters who makes fun of people who likes Frozen. They claim they're "childish" and are stupid for liking Frozen and when someone says they prefer Frozen over another movie, they make a big deal out of it. Like, we know you hate Frozen but no need to rub it in our faces. People who hate Frozen should let people like Frozen and fans should let people hate Frozen. It's called having an opinion people! You can have one and express it freely without name calling and telling people to kill themselves (people take that seriously). I swear the Frozen fandom is like the American presidential election elections sometimes...just less political..sometimes.
wavesurf commented…
Just avoid the "base" associated with Frozen, be it the fans or the haters. Both sides are nasty and up to no good. Trying to reason with the unreasonable types will only make you cringe, rub you the wrong way, and drive you crazy. Take it from someone who agrees with you *and knows.* But that's coming from three plus years of experience and counting... *sighs* over a year ago
^Yeah. I'm kind of apart of the fandom but I'm picky where. On Fanpop it's nowhere near as bad, but on YouTube (because it's YouTube) I'll watch videos but I won't bother looking at the comments (I like to do this because it's actually interesting). But thanks for the advice;) over a year ago
I saw Inside Out for the first time on Friday. I've gotta say-it sorta wasn't what I was expecting it to be. One emotion was basically in control of a little girl's life from the time she was born. Yes, I get Joy only wanted Riley to be happy, but she just put all the other emotions on the sidelines, especially Sadness. Anger, Fear, and Disgust only got to work the "control panel", like, how many times, 3? Plus, whenever Sadness would touch a memory, even by accident, I felt like she got looked down on. However, at the end, I liked how Joy changed her ways and let everybody else take control with her. It's a great movie, I like the idea, but there ARE some flaws. But hey, which movie DOESN'T have flaws? (THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.)
I think that Anastasia Tremaine is more beautiful than Merida. Neither one is a conventional beauty, but I think Anastasia has the much better face. Her facial structure is better shaped, she doesn't have the face of a 6-month-old baby, she has better lips, and a MUCH more beautiful smile. Merida is cute, but that's all. She's so baby faced that her head looks like it belongs on an actual baby. Anastasia isn't the prettiest flower in the garden, but she is beautiful in an unconventional way. If it wasn't for her nose and her lines on her face she could be beautiful in a conventional way.
I think that Anastasia Tremaine is more beautiful than Merida. Neither one is a conventional beauty,
ItIsOlivia commented…
I think she has a better shaped face, but overall I think Merida is so much prettier. Anastasia has stringy, but plump hair, low lips with face wrinkles, a rounded off nose, and Christopher Robin eyes (basically black dots in white circles), then she even has bags under those. Merida has a really round face, but that's really the only thing I dislike about the way she looks. Merida has pretty almond shaped eyes, with thin faint eyelashes and a heart-melty sky blue eyes! <3 Makes my heart flutter~ Then she has a smooth face with no wrinkles and cute freckles, and I absolutely love her naturally peachy thin lips. And do I really have to gawk about her hair? To me Anastasia is so below Merida on the beauty scale, it's funny. I do agree that Merida's face is way too round >_< and if she swapped face shapes with Anastasia I'm sure she'd be even prettier. over a year ago
ItIsOlivia commented…
But as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but Meirda is like a 10/10 and Anastasia is like a 3/10, but that's just me. They're both darling feisty red-heads tho. :3 over a year ago
UnholyNoise commented…
^ Right??? I was trying to come up with a better way to explain, and I guess "natural" and "down to earth" are good ways to describe Merida's design. She was deliberately toned down from the sexy/beautiful/adult look most DPs have. Partly because her story was supposed to be a subversion, and just in general it seems like Brenda Chapman prefers to go that route with her main female characters (Miriam in The Prince of Egypt, Spring Sprite in the newer Fantasia - both of whom have been noted for the similarities to Merida's design at some point.) over a year ago
over a year ago incisron said…
I wish Anna had been nicer to Kristoff and that they'd kissed passionately immediately after the thawing without Kristoff having to ask.
UnholyNoise commented…
Kristoff was such a jerk though?? Didn't he mention at some point that he knew Anna would die out in the woods on her own if he didn't go with her to find Elsa, but still he was only doing it to make sure he got a new sled? I always thought the romance between them came out of nowhere tbh, it was just so clunky and bad and there were waaaay too many trolls. Though his super awkward attempts to ask Anna for the kiss were really cute, even if it's not traditionally romantic or passionate. And consent is always a good message to get across to impressionable kids. :) over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
I liked the "consent" given for him to kiss Anna. However, I have to agree with UN on this. Kristoff acted like a predictable jerk for most of the movie, since he basically "said something disparaging" about all of Anna's choices. And nearly every step of the way towards finding Elsa, he either argued with Anna, or sat back on his heels and waited for her to do all of the grunt work. The romance between them "weakens" an already "very weak plotline" because the development of that romance is nonexistent. Yeah. UN is right. The romance between Anna and Kristoff "came out of nowhere." The consent thing is great, and I'm all for it. But there was definitely no buildup to that kiss. Even Eugene and Punzie's relationship had some build-up before romance was introduced. over a year ago
over a year ago incisron said…
Pocahontas was the best DP movie ever.
UnholyNoise commented…
It's definitely the most beautiful! over a year ago
coolsinger198 commented…
Its amazing! over a year ago
It occurs to me, that I most firmly, completely disagree that Ariel is Disney’s worst princess. I’ve ( unapologetically) felt this way for years. (The stance of "Ariel is awful" shows up all over the internet, and under every article mentioning the Disney Princesses, from movie reviews, to polls, to posts on social media). There isn’t “a worst” Disney Princess. Okay? I also completely disagree that Ariel is the only DP who must keep on profusely apologizing for her actions…when all the other DPs make just as many poor decisions as Ariel does--- and yet they don’t receive nearly the level of overt hatred and diatribe that Ariel gets. Are other princesses required to keep on, and keep on apologizing? Are they vilified for their core attributes? It’s hypocritical to just stick the label entirely on Ariel, and keep on demanding a lengthy apology from her, when all the other princesses have done their share of DIRT, too. Belle, the common paragon placed on a pedestal, is the one who tipped off Gaston, and got the beast stabbed in the back. If it weren’t for the enchantress’s curse, Belle would have been simply out of luck, there, and she would be the witness to a murder she inadvertently caused. And Belle DID inadvertently cause the beast’s death. (Notice how this same situation becomes a repeat thing in Pocahontas?) Plenty of other princesses do just as badly as Belle does. As I mentioned, Pocahontas gets Kocoum killed; Jasmine gets Aladdin locked up in prison; Merida changes her mother into a bear in a false attempt to physically change her mother’s mind; Mulan joins the army, gets exposed as a female, and destroys the emperor’s palace; Tiana has only tough love to give to Ray, the firefly, and he gets killed on her watch; Rapunzel gets Eugene stabbed, because he pursues her, etc., etc. Elsa DIDN’T apologize for inducing a blizzard and wreaking havoc on Arendelle, and Ariel DID apologize for endangering Atlantica.
Why should all of the other princesses get a free pass for what they did or failed to do? If you dislike or happen to loathe Ariel, that’s your choice. But stop demanding that Ariel apologize, and apologize, and apologize, and apologize for being herself in her own movie. Other princesses MADE TONS OF MAJOR MISTAKES, and STILL got what they wanted. In the end, who cares why you think Ariel needs to apologize more than every other princess? It only matters to the Ariel fans you get to stick it to, who will defend her tooth and nail if you proceed to go down that path. Ariel doesn’t have to offer a lengthy apology in her own movie. Plenty of princesses (and non-princesses) didn’t offer profuse apologies. Live with it. Despite the high per-capita consensus among Ariel haters that Ariel is soooooooo dang awful… paradoxically, Ariel is STILL one of the most sought after princesses when it comes to Disney merchandise. I find that really odd and amusing, now that I think about it. That's just too weird. Hatred is a huge brotherhood or sisterhood, but so is the fandom and the money-making. (Frozen alone proves this fact to be flat out true). Give the "Ariel needs to apologize more” thing a rest. You’re making a mountain out of a molehill, and this belief REALLY DOESN'T hold up when you watch other Disney Princess movies, and see the slew of other mistakes made by Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel, and Merida.
coolsinger198 commented…
All the reasons you put for the other princesses faults were wrong. Pocahontas didn't get Kococum killed. He did that to himself by interrupting their kiss. Thomas is the one who pulled the trigger if I recalled. How did Jasmine get Aladdin locked up? Please explain that one. And about Mulan, UNLIKE Ariel, Mulan destroyed the emperor's palace TO SAVE A COUNTRY. Ariel did what she wanted for her own selfish views. Rapunzel did NOT get Eugene stabbed AT all.You seem to not know who is the use of problems. He went to save her, and Rapunzel did try to warn him but it was too late. A character's outcome happens due to their OWN actions. and quite frankly, the only princesses here who actually caused a big problem on her own are Merida, Elsa ( unintentionally) drumroll please.... Ariel. over a year ago
coolsinger198 commented…
Funny how you leave the argument when you know you don't have anything else to say. Just letting you know that when you do make a post about how Ariel gets all the blame and the other princesses don't, I will make the same response as I did from before. Your conclusion about Rapunzel IS wrong. So kids who are adopted at first and don't know who their real parents ae until they are older didn't trust their gut? Makes no damn sense. My cousins don't know that their sister isn't their biological sister because they weren't told that they weren't, not because they didn't trust their gut so that argument is complete bs. And about ariel, the reason she made the deal was to be with Eric. She didn't think of it until she met him. over a year ago
coolsinger198 commented…
But you are right, this discussion is done for now because I am tried of repeating myself and hearing your comments that are repetitive.I will disagree with you. over a year ago
I think that Aurora's peasant dress is OVERRATED and ugly! The neckline is too high for my taste, I hate collars, the sleeves look too short and kind of awkward for some reason, and grey is such a horrible color! Of all the colors they could've chosen for her, why grey? It's such a boring and DULL color! As a theatre major in college, I've taken classes that talk about costume designs and how they should represent a character's personality and their situation. Snow White's dress showed what an optimistic, colorful, and childlike innocent character she was. Even with Elsa her clothes represented her because her outfits at first were conservative (Including having her hair in a bun), showing that she had to hide her powers, until her iconic ice dress and letting her hair down that showed she was embracing her powers and no longer cared (even though the writing of her character CLEARLY didn't show that after Let It Go). What does Aurora's grey dress show about her? Grey is used on characters that are supposed to be dull and lifeless. Why didn't they use a color like purple or something? I know a lot of people love her peasant dress, which is fine, but I just think it's ugly! HORRIBLE color and a bad design.
coolsinger198 commented…
I like it. It isn't my favorite, but I like it. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
It's okay. I like the bodice on it, but that's all. I was happy to see a similar bodice on Ariel's tour of the kingdom dress. over a year ago
hirohamada commented…
I don't like Aurora's peasant dress either. I suppose it's being gray to show modesty and simplicity, as Aurora was a simple, naive, "old-fashioned" peasant girl (Briar Rose) over a year ago
over a year ago coolsinger198 said…
I feel that they are more Elsa's than there are Anna's in this world.
UnholyNoise commented…
^ this is a really intriguing thought! over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^Okay. You mean more people who suffer from anxiety, and have withdrawn personalities vs those that are outgoing, and not as anxious? That could be the case. I don't know... I just think people gravitate to "easy relatability" in a character, and then obsess about it. over a year ago
coolsinger198 commented…
^ I mean that there are less people who are optimisitc like Anna. With people competing for jobs, money, and even love, more people have the anxious type of personality, just like Elsa. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^You're right. But the globalized economy has made life difficult, and probably stoked the anxiety that was already present. over a year ago
I don't really dislike any of the princesses. Sure, there are princesses that I prefer over others, and I know each princess has flaws, ever since I started relating to Elsa a little more, I like all princesses.
coolsinger198 commented…
Agree! over a year ago
Jasmine and Ariel are not alike AT ALL. When people compare Jasmine to Ariel because they are both headstrong and have sass, it gets me very upset because they are completely different people. I think Ariel is more like Pocahontas instead.
wavesurf commented…
I think Jasmine is indeed like Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, Merida, Tiana, and Rapunzel -- in the headstrong, stubborn, and sass regard. All of these princess characters continue to be shades of the same thing-- they are a set of vocal females who simply don't choose to sit around quietly. They are ALL ALIKE, though. It's the settings, the context, and the trappings of the movies that differentiate them... Their foils are the Classic girls and Mulan. Disney just took the female "fiesty spirit" dynamic from Ariel and kept applying it a thousand different ways (in new iterations over and over). Even Anna and Elsa have a pinch of Ariel's stubborness, and headstrong sass. Moana will likely follow in this same vein. Disney has rarely changed up the formula that made them a success since 1989. They just reprocess the packaging. over a year ago
coolsinger198 commented…
I don't mean personality wise. I mean based on their actions in the movie, and their motives for doing them. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^Some of their motivations are identical, too, though. Disney just recycles everything over time. over a year ago
Despite being the older sibling, I always like the younger siblings more, especially Frozen and Big Hero 6. Elsa, although I like her, and have been told I am a lot like her because I have depression and I'm quiet. I don't see much of myself in her as an older sister, and her choices are questionable. Tadashi, however- my opinion on him continues to worsen. He is a good brother, and I wish I could be as good as him, and that's why I still like him. Overall, his character wasn't that good and he was a Gary Stu, kind of. I love Hiro and Anna's personalities, I want to be a sister like Anna and Hiro was such a good character, going from an immature kid and I also relate to him.
coolsinger198 commented…
I see what you mean. Do you like Lilo or Nani better? over a year ago
I like both the same actually lol. But I guess Nani a little more but she is the only one. over a year ago
Tadashi's character works if you think of him only existing for Hiro's development- who imo is the more interesting character of the two. I don't get how the fandom obsesses that much over Tadashi tbh. over a year ago
UnholyNoise commented…
I dunno, I can see why Tadashi is so well-liked. I guess I'm the opposite of you in that the whole "wise older sibling" thing is one of my favorite tropes - and Tadashi had so much influence over Hiro's growth. The younger siblings tend to be the main protags, who are usually less interesting to me. over a year ago
I do not feel that Megara and Esmeralda should be a part of the lineup. I love them so much as characters, but a lot of my friends say they should be, and I disagree with that. As much as I hate to admit it, they are not AS popular as Belle, or Ariel, or Cinderella, Mulan, Jas, etc. If they were, I wouldn't be mad about it, but for all those people making petitions about it, it isn't going to do anything.
wavesurf commented…
^This is similar to the constant petitioning to get Anna and Elsa to join the Disney Princess lineup. It is something to do, but perhaps a waste of time in the end. over a year ago
I hate petitions. They have them for Jelsa, this, to put Teen Titans on Cartoon Network (sorry unDisney related). Although the last one I wouldn't mind, petitions won't do anything, but annoy the directors. over a year ago
^I love your user icon! over a year ago
over a year ago deedragongirl said…
Belle reminds me of Bella Swan from the Twilight Saga.
Sparklefairy375 commented…
But at least Belle still have more face expressions than her. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^That is true. Kristen Stewart's acting is very wooden, just like Emma Watson's acting is. But Belle is not that exciting a character overall anyway, so it's just a role. over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
^really disagree on KStew. Watch some of her movies- she's played a fairy tale princess warrior, an introspective rape victim dealing with high school, a rough partying tomboy rock star, a snobby older sister, a snarky runaway teen, etc. She needs more emotional range to be sure but she's proven she's quite capable of playing various roles, whereas as you noted, Emma isn't. And Bella isn't even that bad over a year ago
over a year ago Sparklefairy375 said…
I started to think Mulan was a bit overrated here. I know, almost peoples loved her (including me too.) but I never saw anyone told about her flaws, opposited with the others (from Snow until Elsa) who still have flaws. It seems like she's the most perfect of them all, without flaws (seriously?) instead all characters certainly have some flaws.
wavesurf commented…
^Overrated? Mulan was never as popular as Elsa is, Cinderella is, or Ariel has been. And even barring that, Mulan is the heroine/princess who starts out with cheating, laziness, tardiness, slowness, lack of coordiation, stubbornness, a rebellious streak, and a mouth on her. Mulan does work on these flaws quite a bit...because the army pretty much kicks her butt into gear. The only things left of "the old Mulan" after the army whips her into physical and mental shape-- is her rebelliousness ( taking the last cannon without asking), and her mouthy side. Mulan still talks back to Shang when he tells her to leave the area in front of the Emperor's palace. Mulan won't leave, which shows her stubbornness is still present. So some of the old Mulan is still in there. Honestly, Mulan reminds me so much of a younger Grandma Fa. Weird to visualize, I know. But yeah... over a year ago
^Calm down. I said "Mulan is a bit overrated here" which mean in Fanpop (especially in this club), not in outside. Because almost every peoples adore her so much. I'm just never saw any opinions about Mulan's flaws on Fanpop, the mostly are Ariel, Jasmine, Tiana, Merida, and Elsa. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
^Yes, we commonly discuss Ariel's flaws extensively, Merida's flaws extensively, Elsa's flaws extensively, Tiana's sometimes, and ( not very often) a few of Jasmine's, Belle's, and Mulan's. Mulan is flawed as well. Yes, people like her on here ( as a rule). There are Mulan haters here on this board as well, though. As for flaws, I remember an article series I did on the flaws in every single Disney princess --> link Anyhow, opinions on the DP flaws vary considerably... as you well know. over a year ago
I think Snow White is GORGEOUS and is one of the top 5 most beautiful Disney Princesses. She looks like such a doll, in fact, she's a porcelain doll. I find it weird that people criticize Snow White's looks and praise The Blue Fairy as a stunning beauty when they look exactly alike. The only real difference is the eye color and hair color. I think both are gorgeous, but I prefer Snow's coloring.
I think Snow White is GORGEOUS and is one of the top 5 most beautiful Disney Princesses. She looks li
MalloMar commented…
She's gorgeous, heavenly in that sleeping scene. over a year ago
over a year ago Sparklefairy375 said…
I can't stand why people disliked most of Modern/Revival Era DPs rather than Classic or Renaissance. I think, those DP girls, which their movies were released in 21th century were realistic, unique, independent, and not "damsel in distress" types. Like Tiana who work to achieve her dream, Rapunzel who wants to see the light, Merida who doesn't want to marry and wants to choose her own life, Anna who never give up for her sister, and Elsa who tried to control her power
wavesurf commented…
^People are going to like what they are going to like. Besides, there are still tons of people who love the Moderns and vilify the Classic and Renaissance girls for being weak "damsels in distress." I really disagree with that, because the modern girls also display "damsel in distress" moments, too-- except that mainstream audiences tend to gloss right over those instances. Everyone will have a different opinion. I am not immune. Sometimes it is irritating. But the technique is to learn to live with the people who dislike whatever princess or queen character it is... over a year ago
KataraLover commented…
Merida was FAR more of a damsel in distress than the Classic or the Renaissance princesses ever were! She may not have a man to save her, but instead she's constantly being saved by her mother and even her little brothers. Plus her only real identity is just being the stereotypical faux action girl that thinks all feminine things are weak and doesn't want to get married. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
I don't really see how Merida is not a damsel in distress. She gets saved more times than prior princesses ( and it doesn't really matter that she has a bow and arrow) because in the last climatic battle, Elinor fights Mor'du and saves Merida's hide. Merida can't really DO ANYTHING against Mor'du. Elinor can. The Revival Era movies show a different extreme from the Classics and the Renaissance. That much rings true. over a year ago
Merida is not really a well-developed character and is actually pretty poorly done. She acts like a despicable little brat that doesn't want to have responsibilities, wants to do nothing but ride her horse and shoot arrows, throws food she's eaten on the floor for her hardworking servants to pick up, is inconsiderate of others (like almost running over a servant with her horse and making things a lot more difficult for her servants), is a stereotypical tomboy that bashes girly things, doesn't mind that war could break out and others could die because of her ("We'll expect your declarations of war in the morning"), she thinks she has the right to destroy her mother's property and to decide to change who her mother is, she keeps saying it's the Witch's fault and not hers, is promoted as a badass that can take care of herself and will be the one to save the day but is constantly having to be saved and doesn't do anything that badass, her faults are shown as charming, she gets her way in the end too easily, and her redemption is very last minute and rushed. Elinor is the one who goes through a big change and conforms more to Merida's way of life than Merida does Elinor's. I find it hard to believe that three stubborn old men like the three lords would conform to Merida's beliefs so easily. People say she's a better done version of Ariel, but honestly, I find her to be a poorly done version of Ariel.
anukriti2409 commented…
^at least she has the redemption and doesn't abandon her mother in times of crisis to rush and be comforted in the arms of a man. She gets her RIGHT in the end, easily or not, it was eventually her right. Like it or not, it was stupid of people to go to war because a girl refused to marry. Perhaps in modern day suitors should declare war on girl's family when she refuses to marry them. What a nice way to propose by threatening them. I would hate to say this but asking one's daughter/son to be perfect, as Elinor would say, is just an unreasonable demand. I know i'm not a perfect daughter, nor a perfect wife and i expect nothing of he sorts from any of my relation. Those who does suffer a lot in the end. over a year ago
wavesurf commented…
I actually agree with Kataralover on this. And in the article I wrote, I explained that caring for yourself over all other concerns is a huge part of the characterization of Merida that I do not love, and cannot get behind. Merida has no moral center, and Elinor really does a lot more changing over the course of the movie than Merida does. over a year ago
MissCinico commented…
You seem to hate on Merida quite a bit. over a year ago
over a year ago anukriti2409 said…
I'm beginning to love Aurora so much more. As a child, sleeping beauty was one of my favorite bedtime stories. But that love faded away and even though I retained my love for the story (in movie), my love for Aurora wasn't as strong. But these days, I'm liking everything about her - apart from her obvious grace and beauty. I love her playfulness, her hopes for simple love in life, her charming nature, her subtle intelligence, her emotional strength.
MalloMar commented…
^Nicely said. :) over a year ago
I do love Sleeping Beauty, but I don't think the songs in Sleeping Beauty, aside from Once Upon A Dream and I Wonder (Well, this one somewhat), are really all that memorable. Yes, I know the instrumental music is Tchaikovsky, which is fantastic, but the actual songs themselves are absolutely forgettable. No one talks about The Gifts, Hail To The Princess Aurora, Skumps, and the song where the fairies are putting everyone to sleep. Those songs are completely forgettable, even though Tchaikovsky's instrumental music in absolutely incredible!
MalloMar commented…
I agree. The songs pretty at best. It's definitely the score that stands out. over a year ago
That's true, all other songs besides those two are very underrated. over a year ago
I don't think Zootopia is as good as everybody praises it to be. The message is good, but I felt it was none too subtle about it, and preachy...And I'm just tired of that damn "OMG THE VILLAIN WAS SOMEBODY ELSE ALL ALONG" plot twist Disney is currently obsessed with.

And Try Everything isn't a good song imo. Shakira has done better.

I'm hoping Moana is better.
Well probably your taste was different among everyone else. And I agree that Disney always used "surprised villain" in their latest films (Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia). For Try Everything maybe because that is more like a modern pop song that was kinda unusual to used by Disney, as they often used traditional/classic songs before. I don't really hoped for Moana, I've been satisfied with Zootopia enough. over a year ago
I judge Try Everything based on other Shakira songs, and honestly it's just disappoting. a generic "feel good" song, and honestly she's made so much better stuff before... over a year ago
AudreyFreak commented…
and yet you police anyone who doesn't place Judy on the Most Feminististist pedestal now 🙄 over a year ago