A surprising amount of people have trouble with posting their stories up (or maybe it was me who figured it out too fast, I dunno), so this is a little step-by-step guide on how to publish your fanfiction over at ff.net.
Go to any page of fanfiction.net and click "sign in" on the very top right corner of the page. Sign in.
A page will load with a left side bar with various different options regarding your account, favorite stories, communities, etc. Click the second bold option, "Publish."
A different set of options will pop up under Publish. Click on the second one, "Doc Manager (Upload)."
A different page will load with four different boxes with blue header. Here's what the four boxes are about:
- Document Manager: This is where all the documents that you have uploaded from your computer will be stored. When you upload a document from your computer to your ff.net account, it will be shown in the Document Manager box.
- Upload New Document: This is where you upload your documents/stories from your computer to your account.
- Document Formats: Explains the two way you can upload your story: Story format (if you want to publish your story immediately after uploading it) and DocX (if you want to send the document to your beta first; it keeps your document in the exact way you typed it, colors, highlights, bolds, italics and everything else.
- Notes/Compatible Files: A few side notes on uploading your story. Please read this part as it contains some important information on the format of your document.
For uploading your story, you will need to use the "Upload New Document" feature. Label and upload your document.
- Label: "Document Label is a short name/description you can use to tag the file you are uploading." This is, for some bizarre and utterly strange reason, the problem of many authors. Put WHATEVER you want in the label section, it does NOT matter. Put OMG or lala or LOL or just the name of your story or an abbreviation or whatever, it does not matter. The label is not the title of your fanfic that will be published in the net.
- File on computer: Click "Choose File" and browse for the document that you want to upload from your computer.
- Format: If you are publishing your story without any beta-ing, choose "Story" format. But if you are going to send your document to your beta first, choose "DocX."
After completing the three, click "Submit Document" and your document will be uploaded to your account.
After clicking "Submit Document," the same page will load again, but this time, on the "Document Manager" section, your newly uploaded document will be shown. This is where you will see your label. So if you labeled your doc "Chap 1," you'll see "Chap 1" shown there. Click "Edit/Preview" on the right to edit or preview your document.
Now that you are done with uploading your document, now you actually publish your fic. On the left options bar, select "Rules and Guidelines" under Publish. You can read the rules and guidelines is you wish or just scroll all the way down to the bottom and click "Yes, I have read and agreed to the content guidelines." Now you are allowed to publish a new story.
Select "New Story" under Publish.
Select the category/fandom you're writing for. If it's a crossover, then choose that.
This is the very final step. Name your story in the "Title" box, give your fic a summary (which is limited to 255 characters), select the "Language" your fic is in, the "Rating," the "Genres," the "Characters," which "World" it takes place in (movie or book), and finally, choose the document you have upload from your computer.
After you've filled it all out, click "Publish New Story" and you have officially just published a fanfiction in fanfiction.net.
__________________ X _________________
And that's it. I really hope that helped all the newcomers of ff.net who are currently present here in this club. If you have any question, any at all, feel free to ask. :D