Hello Fanpoppers. By now you may have noticed a nifty new feature was rolled out this afternoon. It's the Fanpop Pop Quiz, a way to test your knowledge of all sorts of arcane trivia from movies, to music to hamsters.
Before diving into the details of the game, I want to send out a hearty THANKS to the Fanpop team. In particular, a big prop to Michael
who put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this feature.
I'd also like to thank all the great beta testers who helped us test and refine the feature for the past month. Finally, a thank you to Fast Icon
- the site that provided the nifty default icon sets for the spot pop quizzes and superquiz.
Now onto the nitty-gritty...the specifics about the quiz.
Playing the Quiz
You can play the quiz in one of two ways.
1) The Super Quiz
is the ultimate test of fanpopper knowledge. Superquiz pulls questions from the full spectrum of topics on the site. Each question will tell you what topic and channel it's about. Just start answering questions to start racking up points and winning virtual prizes. If you run across a question you don't want to answer, you can simply click the "skip this question" link to get a new question.
You can also use the filter in the right column of the superquiz ("show questions for") to only display questions from a specific channel (e.g. movies) or to only display questions from subjects you are subscribed to.
A small module on the lower right side of the page will display your superquiz progress (how many points you've scored, how many questions asked and what your current prize is).
2) Individual Pop Quizzes
If you want zero in on a specific topic, we also feature pop quizzes for each fan club (spot). So for instance, if you wanted to play The Office Pop Quiz, just go to The Office Fan Club and click the "quizzes" link below the spot banner (there is also a module on the right side of each fan club homepage that will allow you to start playing).
Spot-specific quizzes have their own leaderboards and prize sets (see the small module in the lower right column of the spot quiz pages).
Making Quiz Questions
To make a quiz question you will need to go to the Fan Club's quiz and click the "add a question" link or button.
When creating a question you must:
* Ask a question
* Enter at least 2 possible answers
* Select the correct answer
Optionally you may:
* Add an image
* Embed a video
* Add images for each of the possible answers
* Add some short trivia about the question
You have some limited editing capabilities once you publish a question, but it's best to make sure that you have spelled everything correctly and have made the question and answer factually correct before posting.
Additionally, here are some other tips for making good questions:
* Play the quiz in the fan club before posting new questions. This way you can avoid making duplicate questions.
* Avoid subjective questions (e.g "Who do you like better?). Subjective questions should be posted as picks.
* Avoid questions that are time-specific or can be rendered incorrect by events in the future. For instance: "What's the highest grossing British film of all-time?". A better question is "As of 2007, what's the highest grossing British film of all-time?". For TV shows that are still airing, a question like "How many seasons of One Tree Hill"? is also a bad idea (until the show has concluded).
* Avoid vague questions: "Who did John kiss on tonight's episode?" is ambiguous if John kisses someone in every episode. A better question would be "Who did John kiss in the season 3 episode, 'The Hunted'"?
If you see an inaccurate, inappropriate or badly worded quiz question, you can flag it or contact the Fanpop team.
Quiz creators do have limited ability to modify their questions after they are made, however we have curtailed these options in order to prevent any abuse.
Note that in some instances, the Fanpop team will need to delete questions in order to be fair to the people participating in the game. If this happens, feel free to repost a corrected version of the question.
Leaderboard & Prizes
As you gain points by playing the quiz, you will notice that you gain new "prizes". View the default prize list
We have also made some "custom" prize sets for certain pop quizzes (should be out shortly) :-)
* The Office
* Harry Potter
* Star Wars
If you have ideas or want to make a custom prize sets for other spots, feel free to message me.
The superquiz leaderboard
as well as individual spot leaderboards
allow you to compare your performance against other fans.
You can view leaderboard info for:
* vs. all-time leaders
* vs. friends (people you are a fan of)
* quiz makers
Odds & Ends
A few other items of note:
* There's a new prop type for the quiz questions
* Profile page includes scores for all your individual quizzes (example
* Profile page includes all your quiz contributions (example
* You can also view a list of the popular quizzes
on the site
That's it for now. But as always, we'll be planning to improve the feature as time goes on. So don't hesitate to drop be a line if you have any feedback!