Fanpop Suggestions and Ideas?

dave posted on Apr 09, 2007 at 10:57PM
Hey Everyone,

The guys and I thought it might be helpful to tap into the brilliant minds of our passionate community of users to make Fanpop a better place. Thank you all for all of your support so far, we really appreciate all the kind messages we've received and helpful feedback. Our goal is to make Fanpop the best place on the web to find content and community that you care about. I thought that maybe we could start a thread with ideas and suggestion on what you would like to see from Fanpop. I can't guarantee that we can implement all of them, but we always take our users suggestions very seriously. So feel free to post your thoughts here!

Dave

Fanpop 1137 replies

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 751-800 of 1137

over a year ago jighooligan101 said…
big smile
*Waves towards window* I would also very much like an add to my updates on the questions feature (which btw is legendary)
over a year ago fanfly said…
I agree with germany! I think getting answers for all the questions is overkill. Also, why does each answer have it's own update? When you click on one, you see all the answers. It should be like comments- you only see the most recent comment in your updates.
over a year ago germany123 said…
smile
yep also the plus of the adding to updates is that you get updates for spots youre not a fan of. i asked a question in the "gossip girl" spot (i cant subscribe its just way to spoilery and spammy) and then when i went back to it it had 5 answers i wasnt aware of :S
angelic
now I know i might be tedding oot aboot this and really nobody likes a ted but when you edit an article it always says "edit a article". im guessing its from when they were called soapboxes but i stare at it every time!
over a year ago DarkSarcasm said…
I really like Germany's suggestions for the 'answers' feature, especially having the option to close questions after they've been properly answered.

For example, the question link has 16 answers now. Because the answer "Yes, it's Anthony" is so important and complex, it cannot be handled by one person.
over a year ago astroasis said…
I really think the spot channels need to be cleaned up. I thought I'd surf through the channels and see if there's any interesting spots I might want to join that I missed. To be honest? It's kind of frustrating at times.

Take the Movies channel. It seems to contain movies, movie stars, movie characters, comics that have been made into movies, books that happen to have a movie made of them, video games that have corresponding movies... Anything and everything that has anything remotely to do with movies.

Which means that any given page in the "Movies" section has... Well, the one I'm on right now has 20 spots listed. 6 of them are actually movies.

If I'm looking for a character, there's a Characters channel. If I'm looking for an actor, there's a Celebrities channel. The overlap is really bogging down the channels and making it hard to browse!

This has been a pet peeve since I joined Fanpop, to be honest. Some overlap is to be expected or even helpful, but some is just ridiculous.
over a year ago knifewrench said…
This may be a suggestion or a notification that something's wrong.
I tried to report this pick: link
For this reason:"This question asks for an opinion, rather than a fact (it is not a fact that someone should/should not get a Wii Fit). Therefore it should be a pick."
It came back with this error message:"Sorry, we were unable to access this answer."

Either we can't report "Answer" questions or it's a bug to iron out.
last edited over a year ago
smile
can i just say that i think thats a valid use of the "ANSWERS" feature? of course it could be phrased better( what this person wants/expects), but it invites people so give answers in terms of "its not worth it because" or "yes its great because".

i thinks thats accurately what the answers section is made for!
Fair enough. Still needs a few bugs fixed. Oh, while I remember it, last time I checked the "add to updates" button said "add your answer" or something like that.
over a year ago kuhriissten said…
fix the image uploader for mac users...and fix fanpop for macbook users because if i open up more than 3 pages from fanpop then the pages dont even load.
over a year ago harold said…
To astroasis' comment: maybe making the primary channel more distinct from the secondary and tertiary channels would be a way of doing this (that is, cleaning up the channels). This would be both: making the primary channel stand out in the form when you create/edit a spot, and then making the clubs that have that channel listed as their primary channels stand out/sort first in the channel listings. While it's valid to have "A Series of Unfortunate Events" show up in the movies channel, its primary channel should be books, and so it shouldn't be listed in the movies channel before clubs that are primarily about movies, such as "Film Comedies".
Another suggestion: flip the text box with the type of report buttons in the reporting module. The way it is now, when I report a link, more than half the time I click the button as "broken" or "miscategorized" before I've written anything in the text box. Then I'm stuck with waiting for a moderator to contact me to ask why I reported a particular link, or submitting a second report with explanatory text. Preferable to either would be to have the text box first, then the buttons that submit the report come underneath.
Also, I'm going to "third" germany123's request for the capability of closing answers: when we make an Answer Request, we should be able to specify a close date, much as with picks. Many requests have time-specific answers, after which the question is just going to take up space: "when is this film going to be released?", "When will the next season start?" et cetera. Granted, my thinking is that these sort of questions start out as better questions for a forum thread than the Answers feature, but given that people do use the feature for temporal questions, there should be an expiration date for them.

This may have been requested already, but I also would like any list of Answer Requests to display an icon when I've provided an answer already. I answer a lot of ARs, and there are a lot of repeats, so it's difficult for me to keep track of which I've answered and which I haven't. Having an icon that shows each user when they've submitted an answer already will save us all a LOT of clicking.

Edited to correct a typo: "these" rather than "there"
over a year ago greenchoco101 said…
I think the old rating system was better. :)
also id like to reinforce my point aboot adding answers to our updates (like other content). my updates are swamped with useless alerts that someone answered some random (probably miscategorized) answer request (probably something thats been said before).
i would really like to choose which i get.

i really appreciate the comments feature though!!
A couple of additions to the list of suggestions for answers:

* Add Answers to a user's activity. Right now you can't look them up. How am I supposed to find the questions I've asked, much less ones other users have?
* Add Answers to search results. It would help a great deal if we could search to see if questions have been asked already.

(edited to ameliorate my rather peevish tone. Sorry, guys)
over a year ago heeeresjoyce said…
Unmarked spoiler picks have been a problem for a while. Maybe people with Fanatic medals in the spot can get the ability to mark picks as spoilers when their creators neglect to?
over a year ago hm94991 said…
smile
Speaking of pick spoilers, How about being able to tell what the spoiler is about? It would be set up as something along the lines of this-
Warning:
This pick may contain spoilers about _________.

It could be an episode, a character, or something else that happened.
Yes, but what if some people think that's where you put the actual spoiler, letting everyone see it, spoiler tag or not? After all, we seem to have lots of users that don't like to read things. :/
"This pick may contain spoilers about The episode 'Cold Wars'" Where's the harm in that?
No, I'm saying they might fill it in as something like "This pick may contain spoilers about when so-and-so dies".
worried
Ah. :x
I've written an article link with my thoughts on the Rating System and a suggestion on how it could be improved.

Also, I think there needs to be more response to certain reports. There's an image in the Powerpuff girls spot that has been up for 10 months. I've reported it TWICE myself. The image has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Powerpuff Girls.

Also, more emoticons. A thumbs up, an idea-like light bulb, things like that... I find I often don't use the emotes because I can't quite find the right one.
Also:

Fanpop's uploading process destroys many animated images. I'm not sure exactly HOW it does this, but it definitely does. Since a lot of really nice icons are animated, this severely limits the quality content that can be uploaded here. This really should be fixed!
hmmm
Also: There needs to be better options for reporting content. For one thing, a "duplicate" report option should be added to all images/links/videos. Especially images! In the Inuyasha spot, the 6 most recently updated images in the photos section are duplicates of 6 images uploaded on page 2!

Also, there needs to be a better means of recategorizing poorly categorized images. The Inuyasha spot is also a good example of this, too. There is fanart and screencaps littering the Photos section - which makes it difficult for people to find whatever kind of images they're looking for - and also difficult to avoid putting up duplicates (for instance, I looked over the screencaps section before I started uploading any, to make sure I didn't add any that were already there... but I see now that there's a bunch mixed into the Photos section and to be honest, this all makes me want to throw my hands up and not bother adding more content to the spot).

Ultimately, I find that Fanpop is getting larger and larger... and some spots are sadly starting to feel like they're populated entirely by silly fangirls (which is the nicest term I can think of for them) - which turns me off to the site entirely.

It might be time to look into getting some moderators, at least for certain spots.
kiss
A) ive said it and will say it again: please provide countdown of characters for pick options,descriptions etc

B)please make "answer requests" searchable. and i would love for them to be handled like everything else in the updates..the ones you add pop up the ones you dont...well.....dont :P

C)will the comments on answers be editable?its so stupid to delete it when you notice you left oot a word or made a typo.but i love that we can comment on them now :DDD

D)id still like a forum update i.e. a new forum "title" has been added to spot XYZ

E)an article written by the f4 (NUDGE NUDGE ;))on their take on the medals..just so i have something to reference!!!!

F) my own answers added to my activity section like "regular comments" its impossible to keep track now...

aside from that: go f4, you guys rock! sorry for being such a nag :)
I agree with all that. And unless you haven't noticed Dave.....
WE WANT THE OLD RATING SYSTEM BACK! Sorry, I just can't stand how such a superior system has been replaced by this.... this thing! It's even diluting the colour scheme!

As a long term thing, could you make the site more accessable to people using different hardware and software? Mac-users are having problems with images and I'm having a few difficulties using the site on my PS3. Ever since my computer contracted a nuke of a virus I've been using the PS3's internet browser. I can't add things to my updates, edit my messages or view Fanpop Chat properly (it can't be read at the standard PS3 zoom distance, and zooming in causes part of the left side of the screen to be cut off. Could you budge the application over a few steps to the left?)

The site is doing great, the troll problem is almost non-existant now and with this new Answers feature I'm sure we'll have a cleaner site with less mistakes, repeats and confusions.
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
smile
I wouldn't mind the new rating system if you added how many have rated it, That is my only complaint with it.
over a year ago Earthgirl13 said…
This will NEVER get seen, but here goes. I think that we should be able to have our own backgrounds and design our page. That would be awesome! In fact, I think I'm going to start a separate topic.
monkey
^^this does get seen and the f4 try do a lot to make everyone happy ;)
let me just warn you that the question has been discussed many times and most users like the simple clean and non spammy backgrounds.
though papa did mention something aboot customizing..*shudders*
over a year ago loves-oth said…
here's a suggestion.
delete this article.
link
and then myra will come back.
I really dont want to get involved in all the drama thats going on. But I would be totally against the deleting of an article because they are opinions and in deleting one fans opinion just to please another is wrong. It gives off the impression that Myra is somehow more worthy then Snerkie. Having rarely come across Myra on the site I cant comment on her but Ive always foud Snerkie to be a great user.
sad
Why the Heck would that article make Myra want to leave give me a break and for petes sake Myra is a big girl and more than capable to speak for her self as is evident in the comment section so there is no reason to delete another users article.
Off-topic I saw a comment on a OTH pick (on PS3 so cant link) advising people to report the article. This in my opinion is totally misuse of the report I was just wondering how strict is the reporting system?
"on PS3 so cant link" Oh, speaking of PS3 usage, they've added a patch of sorts which lets you copy/paste things now. I swear they're actually reading Fanpop forums....
big smile
Oh yeah I hadnt read what it did but that makes me happy!
over a year ago nandacavalieri said…
Have "My Favorite Actors/Actress" in your profile...
are there any plans to further improve the filtering in updates?
now i just go crazy atm reporting repeats and all the stupid STUPID answer requests..sincere apologies btw..they can all stay if they werent spamming my updates as much. there is barely any useful content added these days just people revolving around themselves and making stupid spots for their ships/fanpop cliques etc which are all over the front page and could just all be deleted btw.
and if useful content IS added occasionally it gets lost.
i would like to have a further filter (bear in mind i have no idea how difficult technically this would be so im just throwing it oot there) that lets me alter the updates for different spots.
so for example:
how i met your mother: all content enabled
veronica mars: videos OFF (one more LoVe batch upload and i will kill a user) but other content enabled
etc
smile
id love an "undo" for the "i voted this as best answer" option (like on picks) because i accidentally voted a best answer that didnt actually solve the problem..and now i cant undo it..non eof the given answers actually solve the problem so i cant just change it.
clicking the button again should "undo"...that would be helpful!
MORE IMAGES FOR MAC USERS! MY DREAM WOULD BE UNLIMITED IMAGES!

we ask all the time, isn't that enough?
MORE IMAGES FOR MAC USERS! MY DREAM WOULD BE UNLIMITED IMAGES!

we ask all the time, isn't that enoug
laugh
or just make it 5 for everyone else and make it fair.
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
sad
In "Contact Us" there is no adequate category for getting a spot on "Pop Culture" so it's hard to know which one to use, I think that this may have been why papa said that he never received a message about the Fanpoppies, I'm pretty sure I classed it as "Just Because".
In "Contact Us" there is no adequate category for getting a spot on "Pop Culture" so it's hard to kno
Loves-oth I doubt its that simple to implement
sick
yay for limited uploading...!! id fully support that. oh and please get rid of the medal system while youre at it :)))
i had something more clever to say but i forgot..
yes i know it's not that simple, but they can do it for pc?
lol.
i agree with the people here.
why don't you make pc users upload 1 images at a time MWAHAHAHA!

they would know how it feels!

keep the medal system lol!
i have two issues no wait three with the search:

1) the spot keywords or titles dont seem to matter much to the search.
when searching "love" you get a TON of spots(more than a thousand)...johnny depp,paramore etc all because people put they "love them" in the subheading.there are a number of searches i tried and i dont get why the subheading would "trump" the title :S

2)you cant search "answers" or forum titles.

3) when a club is deleted the search results still show the number. some searches give you 5 results but the count on the top suggests you should be getting more..its really confusing.
Please extend the maximum character length of answers. Some of the better answer requests have long, complicated answers, and I find myself having to abbreviate, abbreviate, abbreviate. There are some answer requests I haven't answered because I know that I can't answer them in the space provided.

Hand-in-hand with that, published answers beyond a certain length (300 characters? 400?) should be abbreviated with a "read more" link so that the verbose answers don't dominate the page real estate.
Speaking of maximum characters, the character limit on Image Credit needs to be increased.

Example: link

EDIT: got my mords wuddled up
EDIT: got my words muddled up :P
Suggestion: Create a splash page for the super quiz, specifically so that we can "share the link" with our friends who haven't yet registered for Fanpop. Right now there's no page explaining the quiz for people who aren't Fanpop users. You might get more traffic through the quiz if you did.
link inspired me cause YES spammy fanvids are annyoing! could they be their own category like screencaps for images so we could filter them?