Fanpop Suggestions and Ideas?

dave posted on Apr 09, 2007 at 10:57PM
Hey Everyone,

The guys and I thought it might be helpful to tap into the brilliant minds of our passionate community of users to make Fanpop a better place. Thank you all for all of your support so far, we really appreciate all the kind messages we've received and helpful feedback. Our goal is to make Fanpop the best place on the web to find content and community that you care about. I thought that maybe we could start a thread with ideas and suggestion on what you would like to see from Fanpop. I can't guarantee that we can implement all of them, but we always take our users suggestions very seriously. So feel free to post your thoughts here!

Dave

Fanpop 1113 replies

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 601-800 of 1113

over a year ago amazondebs said…
agree gerley
images from the next episode are sometimes annoying I just saw a image on the home page of something I havn't yet seen *sigh*
over a year ago hm94991 said…
oooooh.... how about this?
Showing how many people saved the [link, picture, video] as a favorite when you click on it? It would be right under the rating and would probably drag more people in to opening the link and rating. o_0
over a year ago harold said…
I'm having a hard time thinking of a quiz question that wouldn't be a spoiler for someone, though.
harold i can think of many, most questions on spots that involve the plot some how are normall more about specific details that major plot happening e.g. you get more questions like

"what book was fred reading on the bus in last weeks episode (episode name)?"

than

"who's the father or fred's baby?"
over a year ago germany123 said…
also: people post questions aboot stuff from promos :S

over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
Debs, is the answer by any chance Fred? Unless Fred's a she of course, then I'm stuck.
last edited over a year ago
I responded link, as this is getting way off-topic for this thread.
lol hooch well there is a character from angel called fred who is female (short for Winnifred) but fred could also be a seahorse or something from a scific show.....but anyways my point was people normally ask smaller details than big plot things that people are more likely to get right....i don't find this off topic at all we're talking about the suggestion of making a spoiler option for pop quizzes....
i also suggest separating the episodes from the rest of the content somehow- if i havent watched a show i always go to sidereel to get my epis because quizzes like "which song was playing when so-and-so died" kinda ruins it for me :D
over a year ago antitheft said…
I think there needs to be a way for a user to remove wallpapers and fanarts posted by another user. Like a button that says "Remove Image" and you have to give a valid reason for why it was removed. Even when you ask people nicely, they never remove images when you ask and the site rarely gets around to it.
over a year ago Snerkie said…
antitheft, you can report images and put in the reason why in the little bar underneath it when it opens.
gerley we have a video section and if you really can't resist looking at the side of the spot
you can go straight to it by typing it in to you address bar e.g.

www.fanpop.com/spots/fanpop/videos

because of fanpop's layout i can't imagine how that wouldn't be confusing

and yes antitheft if yo report the image as inappropriate you can type in your notes in to the small bar saying why it's copyrighted material that shouldn't be up there
Reporting doesn't mean it will be taken down. Just means it has been reported. Folks that do this link to beautiful things like this link shouldn't even be allowed to post images. This is why fanartists get so mad at Fanpop. If an artist sees this, they should be able to automatically click a button and have it removed.
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
but if someone could click a button to have it automaticly removed, then trolling would come to a way higher new level
as long as thing are credited right it shouldnt be much of a problem
for example those last two images you posted should have the original artists name allong with whoever added the extra images.
if someone can claim that it is their work and they dont want it there, they should contact the f4 and it will probably be sorted in no time ♥
reported images do get removed, if you can prove they are copyrigthed content e.g. by law the original images don't belong to the fan artist they belong to.....errr well which ever film company has made the twilight film, said company would have to have a issue with those images which i doubt they would since it promotes the film for them
by the way this is just my own legal knowledge of the subject and i a no expert so someone shut me up if i'm not being right

if they were made by you from scratch or were images you had taken or bought, then of course fanpop would take them down when they were reported, I can not speak for them on the fan art issue because i don't know where they stand for that you would have to contact them like claire said
over a year ago fanfly said…
Fanart is a tricky subject. Like debs said, fanart made from pre-existing photos of a show doesn't necessarily belong to the person that made it. It's almost just courtesy to credit them, because anyone with those images, which belong to the creators of the show or whatever, could make the same fanart. You're crediting the effort put into making the art, not necessarily the images themselves. So I'm not sure a piece of fanart that has been modified should be taken down. It's somewhat rude to build off someone else's work, but unless that someone else has a legal claim to the photos they used in their fanart, do they really have a legal claim to their fanart? I'm not sure.
Now if it was a completely original piece of art, ie created with pencil or pc program, not using photos at all, then the copyright definitely belongs to the person who created it.
There is no legal claim because of the pictures being used. But what kind of jerk has the right to pass off anything that they did not make as their own? Not everyone with the same images could make the same fanart...it takes skill, patience and alot of time to make the fanarts that are stolen from peoples' websites and posted on here. People should not be allowed to post art that they did not make on this site without the permission of the fanartist. We report these users over and over. Sometimes their stuff is taken down but it is right up the next day. The artists who make the stuff should have the right to have it removed...copyright or no copyright. If people are really fans of all these shows they can go view all the pretty pictures on the sites of the artists...and give them the respect due. Not copy them, alter them, or steal them and place them on a site like this. I don't know how anyone can think this is right.
i think that is an issue that needs to be discussed with the f4^^

aaaand debs honey you know its not that easy- there are featured links,picks etc on each page on the side next to the video. also some episodes are on a spot as a videos others as a link- there are the headlines of fanvids "so and so FINALLY KISS OMG OMG OMG"..so..its not really possible to do that :)

most websites say you can use them as long as you credit them, and rightly so
when someone posts their images on the internet they should know they are putting it out there for the world to see and use and will probably never have any control over what happens to it once its been posted.
i understand what you are saying about people adding extra images on to someones hard work but at the end of the day there is no way to stop it.
now i am all for credditing properly and i think everyone should and as long as someone uses credit stating who made the original image and what they added on to it i see no problem what-so-ever ♥
I agree with claire-aka-bob, as long as the original fanartist is credited, I don't see why they can't post their own version of the art. UNLESS the person who created it specifically asks people not to modify their work. And I know that not everyone can make the same fanart- I was just simplifying the statement. I meant that everyone can use the same images to make fanart, potentially as good as anyone else's. And truthfully, I don't understand why people who create this art get so upset when it's "stolen" and posted on another website unless the person who posted it is trying to claim that they created it. When people post fanart on this site, it's because they want to share something beautiful with other like-minded people. I see no harm in that.
claire aka bob, not a single fanart site that I know of, says you can post their art without their permission. And they definitely would not give permission for someone to deface their artwork by adding crap to it. You do not add to art...you create your own. None of the fanartists that I am friends give permission for people to "modify" their work and call it their own. It would be like me grabbing a portrait off of DeviantArt, drawing a mustache and a few other things and calling it my own. It is stupid and wrong. But I guess I am beating a dead horse by trying to get Fanpop users to see some sense in this matter and change their ways. I just hate seeing fanartists getting disrespected and taken advantage of.
antitheft you have never seen fan artists saying it's okay repost with credit?
I have seen many do that or even people like chel1395 who says it's okay to repost with out credit

but i agree changing it is a whole different issue

people know when it's not credited it's not theirs and you say we shouldn't alter yours but you yourself are altering the director or photographers art of the original image
I always see fan artists using edited photos sometimes from big companies and sometimes photos for backgrounds or edited effects that i see from a range of sources

while it is not right and i will stand with you against those who don't credit, legally it's a grey area as to who it belongs to

I make fan art and am a armature photographer myself so i understand how it can be frustrating when some don't credit, or when people take my photography and edit it with out permission but no one gains any profit of it and they are just sharing my images as art which is what they were intended for

but i am all for getting people to credit, we have made forums on fanpop about it, comments on images, sent personal messages, soapboxes on how to credit and why to credit and all these have improved the situation a little but it's impossible to ever stamp it out completly like it is on all sharing sites,
a simple suggestion would be for you, yourself to either post your work or a link to your work so you will be credited,
Ok new one. When I click on a spots fans, I usually go to "most contributations." However, this means over all of fanpop, not just the spot im currently in. How about an option saying "for this spot?"
Antitheft, you seem to be in a bit of a crediting fan art box...and your box seems to be closed.

Debs is indeed correct that there are a lot of places out there that do not ask to be credited or have the copyright law (is it creative commons?) where you do not need to credit people. I often post things and i don't want to be credited because it's something i want to share with ease to other fans.

Also people DO give permission for modification...we call this "bases" :) and there are plenty of bases on Deviant Art for dolls and such that others can draw on. Also i make headers and icons that people can add their own text and etc to, i just like to colour it good and then hand it over to other people to enjoy.

All you have to do if there is a problem with something you see is report it and add a note to it or message one of the Fanpop 4 and inform them about your concerns. Also you haven't posted much and i just looked and you left this comment

"HI there. The wallpaper above doesn't look right. And I have the answer to why it doesn't look right. It is not an original. Pieces have been added to it to make it look different. The artist that took so long to make the original piece is a bit upset. Could you please remove it and any other pieces like it?"

You can't just accuse someone of stealing it and telling them to remove it unless you can prove that. I could do stuff like that all day but without proof it's just silly. You should know that.

Also...are you just here to tell a few people off? :\
Actually I did not accuse the person of altering it. All I said was that it had been altered and that it should be removed. YOu want proof? Do you want me to name every single website and every single page that the fan pop users have taken art from? Because I can. I belong to a forum...and many of the artists on there have had their art posted and reposted on this site. Some without credit, some with credit, and some have been defaced like that. They hate it. So if you want me to post links for all the art that has been posted I will. It will take you about a day or so to look at it...but I can find it all. And I am not here to "tell people off". Maybe I am here to try and get the Fanpop "community" to show a little respect for some fanartists but I guess that isn't going to happen. Apparently, from the sounds of it, you think you have the right to post whatever you want, regardless of how upset or sad the original owner. I mean it isn't copyrighted so who cares how many hours or days they put in to it. Lets mass post it all, deface it all and never let the original artist get credit for it. ITs just pretty pictures posted on Fanpop. Well I am done arguing with people younger than me. My mission was to try and help the artists but I can see nothing will get changed here. So Snerkie, you can have your way. I am gone. I am through with trying to reason. You can't reason with people when they think what is being done is not wrong. Bye.
over a year ago neeki said…
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but would it be possible to have folders for the email? It would be so much easier for those of us who get a lot of emails to be able to organize them into folders :)
"YOu want proof? Do you want me to name every single website and every single page that the fan pop users have taken art from? Because I can."

Yes...that's why i said you need proof. You can accuse people all you want but it means nothing if you don't say where the original is from and who made the original, it just shows you telling someone off, they may have found it on another site like photobucket where the original often isn't posted.

And no, i understand the rights of copyrighting and how people feel about their work being taken. I create vectors, that takes days to do something that when people see it it looks like a 1 button thing but it isn't. If i didn't feel okay about people sharing it then yes i would be offended and annoyed. But there are places you can copyright your work, you do have the right to watermark your own work and share the originals on selected forums if you wish.

All of this has nothing to do with age, that's ridiculous, it's about personal opinions and the rights. You are sure that everything has to be taken down if not credited but you don't see that some people will make things so they can be altered or they do not wish to be credited.

*shrugs* your choice. I know where i stand on copyrighting, i know the rights and wrongs of crediting. I am very anti-mass posting, i don't do it, i credit people as much as i can but i don't do it harshly to others and point fingers of "oh you're wrong blah blah because i have friends that do fanart lots which means this and that and i go on forums". So what? I'm on forums, communities, i post my works in places...so what? am i a genius at everything i sign up to? no, you learn things as you go. Does it matter that i may (or may not, depending on how old you actually are) be younger than you? Age means nothing, there are 9 year olds out there that are geniuses.
Neeki, i was thinking about that a while ago but totally forgot. Moving things into folders in the inbox would be heaps of help to sort things out, even if we could just get one extra folder for what we want to use it for i think would be a big help.
over a year ago jeanyawn said…
How about telling us which other fanpopers share many of our spots...

Here's an idea: add a tab for "Music" to the "Fanpop spotlight" on the top page. Last night, I happened to be looking for Dido music, and read for the first time that her album is being released today. Now, of course having a "music" tab wouldn't guarantee that there would have been an update on Dido, but it certainly won't happen without a music tab.

Incidentally, nice debate about fan art. Too bad we can't seem to get debate like that in the link. Maybe you could continue it there.
Another idea: add the "Share this question" link to the "view pick" page, not just the "pick results" page. Sometimes there will be pick questions for which I have no strong opinion, or (in the case of contests like the link) where I feel it would be inappropriate for me to answer, but I know people who probably would like to answer the question. I know that I can get to the "share this question" link by clicking "view results", but why not have the link in both places?
high five on that, harold, but honesty I think there are bigger things to be done. (not trying to be offensive)For instance, When I click on a spots fans, I usually go to "most contributations." However, this means over all of fanpop, not just the spot im currently in. How about an option saying "for this spot?"
( Im not saying my idea is any better then yours, either. ;) )
Not at all. No offense taken; I think that idea is a good one, too. I think it's also been suggested before, but with more than 20 pages of suggestions, it's hard to find. I'm tempted to write an article...

Edit: an article that lists all the suggestions, that is.
I'm gonna push again for a report button on forums. There's a lot that are just full of spam (hint hint, the joe jonas, hannah montana, etc spots) that also turn into a battle of the 13 year old girls of who loves who more. So they can fall into spam and getting a bit inappropriate.

Harold, an article listing what's been suggested before would be heaps of help, also maybe when it was suggested in case people think it needs a refresh for the idea to come up again. Have fun with 26 pages :P
forum report button and "new forum added" on updates please :)

also seconding harolds suggestion that newest entries to a forum should appear first!

hmmm there was something else but i forgot :S
thanks, Harold. And you should write that article. It could happen.

EDIT: And high fives for a report button on forums. The repeats really bug me. *twitches slightly* and people who dont rate... *squeezing computer* calm down, harvey, calm down.
This has probably been suggested before, but I think it would be great if you could search for fans. Type in a username and their profile and contributions pop up.
over a year ago skeloth said…
Yeah, my friend recently joined Fanpop and I had to ask for the URL to her profile in the end, 'cause I couldn't search for it.

For those with the Firefox search bar in the top right, that accesses different search engines, I'd like Fanpop to somehow get on that list. That would be immensely handy.

This is kind of a minor point, but I think ratings colours ought to change. No one wants to rate things a 3, which is average, because it's such a dead, pale green and it makes it look terrible, when it's not. I was thinking maybe a rainbow palette, so that I wouldn't feel so bad rating something as average, because it would still be a bright and lovely colour, just lower on the spectrum than whatever goes at the top.
skeloth...if you rate on how the colour looks...i think that's really really stupid. If you rate them average then clearly they DESERVED to be average. It goes with the colour scheme on Fanpop, rainbow...well...point out to me rainbow.
lol snerkie
it may be stupid but i kinda get what skeloth means, it has connotations it's bad, i'm sure spotty will love the idea, :D
I like search for users option. That would be great.

I also think it would be helpful if you could go in to someone's profile, and search through the things they contributed.
It's kind of annoying that you have to go through pages and pages of comments just to find the one you're looking for. (or even a "search this forum" button?)
over a year ago Cammie said…
How about adding a feature that let's 'us all' know when a user is on line?
High five, cammie.
This has come up before, and I think it would be a great idea.
High Five F4 for the new feature that shortens the URL for after Page 1 on most things (but I have no idea when you did this), really helpful If I want to jump to the last page
i think forum headlines should be included in the search :)
over a year ago adavila said…
hooch is crazy I think that is very old

oh and cammie I dont want people to know when IM online

oh and f4 can something be done about all the spam there is when a new episode of every show airs
there are like 9 out of 10 links that are just spam
report any spam :\ they can't just "know". There is thousands of content being added all the time to the website, thus why there are report buttons on users and content that you can do your part of and report any spam.
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
can I second or third the report button for forums pretty please with a cherry on top!
over a year ago hellgirl223 said…
I have an idea! *raises hands* How about....... Since today is Thanksgiving day there is a Turkey to replace the O and Im thingking that maybe......... For national holidays like....... Chrismast there will be a picture to also replace the O, maybe like a snowman head or a decoration from a christmast tree or a snow globe or a.. circle shaped wreath or a bell.. Anyway you get the point. For like.. Halloween a pumpkin can replace the O or something :) So um.. yeah.. *cough* *Uhm.*
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
hellgirl, last year there was a special Fanpop Christmas banner, as well as a spot icon and banner change for this spot to go with a Christmas theme. The same will surely happen this year. I'm already working on my Christmas spot icons and banners. (Last year's ones were all fan-made)
I know that this is ridiculously insane, but is that turkey Tom Turkey from a recent Treehouse of Horror Simpsons episode? It looks like him.
wow hooch he does, they do like the Simpsons an awful lot...hmmmm
didnt i read somewhere they had the same one last year? *scratches head*
maybe, the simpsons stole it from here!!!!
dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuun ♥
Wait... whats insane? My idea? What i dont get it? Well uh J, if they had a special theme and banner for Christmas, then how come Thanksgiving doesnt have any? And did Halloween have that special banner or icon or special O too?
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
Hallowe'en had main Fabpop Logo last year. It was know as Fanpop Boota rather than Beta and had a pumpkin in place of the usual star.

In the Fanpop Spot, I designed a banner and icon last year which were used. I designed logos and banners for this year for the Fanpop Spot, but alas they were not used.

Thanksgiving did have a main Fanpop Logo this year, but all last years Fanpop Spot Icons/Banners were fan-created, so if you want to do one, and submit it for Christmas
(We, by which I mean I, ran a Pick last year to determine which one should be up, and will probably do the same again this year, as long as the staff are okay with it) then get on with it! :-P
O.. Okay I get it now.
Ok, here's an idea. How about if after you've answered a pop quiz question it's removed from your updates?
Just thought of something else. You should be able to save forums to your favourites, instead of adding them to your updates. Especially for forums like this one and General Questions. These get a lot of traffic and I'd prefer to look at them at my leisure instead of having all the replies clog up my updates. But to have to hunt them down every time is annoying. So why can't we just fav them?
over a year ago heeeresjoyce said…
Well, I've never posted here before and haven't read many of the posts, so I'm sorry if this has been suggested before or if it's already a feature and I just haven't noticed it. I was thinking that whenever one of your picks (or a pick you have added to your updates) close, a notification of it could appear in your updates. Since I'm always forgetting to check my picks that have a closing date, it would be very helpful, at least for me.
so i notice that in the forums now you can immediately skip to the last page (YAY!!!)- will that be also hapening in the images, video section? it would help a great deal!
Forums could do that for ages Germ, I can't remember when you couldn't.
:S maybe things are wonky for me!? i also have trouble seeing my updates properly (im suddenly on page 3 or something when i click on my updates) this is not possible though on the images!? and videos!? or is that possible for others!?

the forums shoudl be the other way round anyway me thinks..newest post first
germany do you mean in the actual forum topic or looking at all the topics?

oh and gonna re-push and keep pushing for a forum report button. Perfect example of something report worthy popped up link, total spam mess now
no i mean the newest post within the thread....everytime i click on this forum the first thing i read is harolds "okay dave ill bite" posted over a year ago
Here's a fun idea- what about a random spot/fan option? Just click and *phwoosh* a random spot or fan appears! ;D
@germany: yeah, that's so people that hadn't already read the thread can see what people have said :P so the conversation (maybe not in this one but other places) makes sense
oh the page 3 of updates problem is a bug that I reported not long ago, you ended up on page 3 of your updates because you were on page 3 of something else beforehand, so on this page (page 27) and click on my updates it will bring you to page 27 (unless the bug's been fixed by now)
over a year ago Jonapello23 said…
I remember this being mentioned before, but I think that you should be able to see who the creator of the spot is.

Also, I feel like the Fanpop live chat isn't doing that great. I think we should have something like facebook where you can see who's online right now, and you can chat with them/
over a year ago knifewrench said…
What? people still use Fanpop Chat? I thought the air-headedness of many users of it had driven out all sane people....
over a year ago DoctorSpud said…
Yeah, I have a suggestion. Mind adding moderators? I mean, you guys do a great job as the F4 mods, but I just found a Porn movie that had been hanging around on the YouTube spot, for about an hour or so. I reported the user three times. I actually just wrote an article about it here on this very spot. Check it out.
I rarely use fanpop chat, because either there's no one on, or people are deep in a conversation and I cant nudge in. That's why I keep suggesting the private chat feature- unlike the one we already have. This can be found on page 22 of this forum.
So I'm having a problem when I create a new spot and I start to add pictures to the banner & the icon. I add the banner just fine, and then I upload an icon. It says the icon has been uploaded, but no image is displayed.
over a year ago pollyloveshouse said…
hm, I don't think private chat is a good idea. Imagine you were a fan like Kathiria with 1000something fans, you would have hundreds on at once and wouldn't know a lot of them I'm sure. And I wouldn't particularly like anyone being able to talk to me or see when I'm online either...
Another idea: Since some users are better at making quiz questions than others, it would be a nice feature if, when looking at a particular user's Quiz Activity, I could click a link to "take <user>'s quiz" (sort of like the super quiz, but limited to the questions that user has asked anywhere on the site).

I realize that may be contrary to the spirit of the unofficial "focus on clubs, not users" design philosophy, but it would be a welcome addition to the quiz feature set. Some quiz creators make such good questions that I'd like to just get a chain of their questions (and, conversely, some users make such bad questions I'd like a way to avoid seeing them).
you kinda already can harold go to there profile and in there activity section it will have quizzes and that will list all of their quizzes but I think I see where your going but you may have to settle for that for right now...lol
I think that you should be able to search users, like on youtube where you can search for channels. For example, if I wanted to find Cinders profile, instead of having to go to my profile and find her in my fans, I could just search for her.
Has anyone read my comment on the previous page? No one has discussed it. :p
just read it, oh wondrous cousin. And it sounds like a good idea. (cant think of anything else to sugjest right now, so i'll go back to the Heroes spot.)
yeah, I like the pick closing idea too, it would be good for something like FOTF, if I wasn't sure between two people to vote for and because of that I forgot about it and voted for neither (never happened to me by the way but I've seen it happen to others)
Here;s a thought. If I happen to divert my eyes a few inches to the right, there's some girl just stripping around. Is that appropriate? NO! Every one is begging for moderators, but I think that the adds should be moderated.
over a year ago greenchoco101 said…
I hope this site will have a new look this coming 2009.
maybe an optional new colour scheme but not a full change, just something like a list of colours along the top of the page and you can choose the one you want, call me boring but I would keep it cream.
i totally would, too..speaking of which..slightly off topic but why was the spot icon changed? its not even christmassy :(

oh and i need to turn off my ad block..cant even see them strippers!!! is she hot?
lol germany *props* It doesent show anything and it's just some makeup ad, but ya, I guess.
im on my iPod at the moment.. are there plans to make a Version of fanpop for phones etc?
and me again: i have said it before i think i am unsure if there are any plans to fatten out the FAQs

i think they need to be more prominent and well frankly dumbed down a little...we get countless picks asking how to use the features on the site and when it comes to some things one can reference the faqs but today there was a pick asking how to drop a fan and there is no answer in the faqs...also there are good articles that i have saved but frankly i get tired of always spending time searching for links to certain things to tell people who are too lazy to do it themselves.
im not sure how this could be handled an official HOW-TO spot?
work on the faqs?
i know we can report the pick and they will be removed but that way all the information in comments is lost...we have the general questions forum and the fanetiquette but all of those seem to be insufficient.
i know people WILL keep asking..im not delusional!! :D but it would be easier for us to help people if all information was collected instead of having to search for it each time
Are we officially out of beta?
damn nice catch jonapello23, are we?
Looks like it. :D
over a year ago Guitar-hero4 said…
what about on every user's profile it say's if thay are online or offline
yay! maybe we are!
when an image is removed the thumbnail in the preview thing above stays.
one of my images got removed...i have no idea why...but it still shows in the "search bar thumbnail thingy" (yep..thats a word)
any way to change that?
I think we should be able to delete old forum posts. There are a few I'm not to proud of. But also, I think we should be able to make a forum have a time limit on it, just like on picks. For example, If I were to ask, "Is there a new episode of the Office on tonight?" I could add a time limit to it, so it wouldn't stay on the spot forever.
I think we should be able to delete old forum posts. There are a few I'm not to proud of. But also, I think we should be able to make a forum have a time limit on it, just like on picks. For example, If I were to ask, "Is there a new episode of the Office on tonight?" I could add a time limit to it, so it wouldn't stay on the spot forever.
and double comments :P
Lol Germany :P And the HOW-TO Spot would be an awesome idea! I have an idea for a yearly pick....... I know we have a FOTY & POTY every year and a FOF every 2 weeks..... I have a new one that I think is IOTY (Icon of the Year)........... Anyone interested?
well i tried to compile a how to
link

and linked it to the
link

as for your idea..go ahead and make one here?:
link

and maybe link it to users!?
Thx! What do you mean by link it to the users?
over a year ago want2watcheroes said…
Had An Idea.

link
Is there a simple way of finding out how many fanaitics, die-hard and dedicated fans there for a spot.
If not i think ti would be good if there was a tiny section on each spot with a red medal and the number of fanatics there are, yellow medal and the number of die-hard fans there are and a green medal and the number of dedicated fans there are.
Even better, when you click on one of them it shows you who they are, e.g you click on the 15 next the red medal and it directs you to a page of the 15 fanatics on that spot.
personally..i think the medal craze is oot of hand as it is. i would strongly approve of them being removed altogether ( this wont happen..i just wouldnt miss them) and would take a nice prop over a medal any day!
im afraid this would fuel the "omg must make fake account to get my ratings up" and "must spam spot with 500 keywordless useless screencaps with same title" behavior by users.
Props Germany!
No, no, no. *Shakes head* Medals are a way to express how much you've contributed. With no medals, a person is just not that into fanpop, or has not contributed alot. Props can be given by anyone- even the "omg must make fake account to get my ratings up" person.
excuse me With no medals, a person is just not that into fanpop, or has not contributed alot

I find that statement very unfair to most users like me. who rate and comment and contribute small mounts to small spots.
over a year ago jighooligan101 said…
Just about to say the same thing coffee just beacause someone doesnt have medals doesnt mean there not an active member
Prehaps, but (not trying to be rude to anyone) There are people who surf the web and the first thing they find even remotely lke the spot they are contributing to they post. Post just to Post. Hense, getting rated low, or not at all, and not getting a medal. Poppers should contribute lots of content, yes, but it should be good content. ;)
well then I can go get my videos and such from other sites and not rate yours is that what you would like because you are basically saying only those who are putting up the content are needed so then you really don't need the medals do you because we who rate it are not big enough to count.
PS I gave props to you germany because i just found that comment funny somehow. Not because that you prefer props better than medals. Ok, maybe just a bit ;)
To be able to comment on peoples pictures from there profile gallery.
coffee- not at all. I think everyone is just as important as every one else. The things people do on fanpop make the popper. If they're a rateaholic, they've done something for the site. If all the people who rated things were kicked off, then there would be no Fanpop. The entire system relays on that. ;)
over a year ago dredfull7 said…
we should be able to customize our profiles and spots like i made the cute stuff spot and it looks terrible!
if it looks terrible add some content. Theres already been severlas overwhelming no's to customisation!:)
see... how the medal craze is oot of hand?

With no medals, a person is just not that into fanpop, or has not contributed alot.

i uploaded like 20 episodes to the one treee hill spot (im not even a member someone asked me for help i was just tired of unchecking the "sunbscribe to this spot" box) and i got a green medal...within a week or something.

i made quite a few quizzes on the germany spot. i took time thinking of stuff, looked for pictures, liked videos etc
and those were much more work and took more dedication than posting some episodes..medals arent aboot quality they are aboot quantity. thats why to me they could just be..removed!

as for your logic that good content gets rated and bad content doesnt..sorry but thats just not true! stuff you post in big spots with lots of people will probably get rated and highly a lot of the time no matter how good or bad the content is.( not naming names of spots)

personally i would choose ineedcoffee over any "top contributer" any day. of course we need content for fanpop to be fanpop but posting 500 keywordless creditless screenshots with no description will get you that medal.
its a machine it doesnt look for quality!

*Sighs* I should have never said that terrible, terrible comment.
"With no medals, a person is just not that into fanpop, or has not contributed a lot."
;D and yes, I do see your logic, and your right. I can't stand it when people add things like keywordless creditless screenshots with no description. But what im trying to say is that if people should add those pictures, they should be rated low. Then they wont get the medal.
(Please pardon any spelling errors, Firefox is down and I dont have a checker. XD)
I have never really understood what good the medal system is, either you are a fan or you are not why do you need a medal to tell you that you are, you can easily tell who the top contributors are in a spot and if you like the stuff tell them...

edit: reply to last post, whether it is rated low or not if they upload tons of stuff but it is rated low or not they will still get a medal watch it happens.
Not true. Medals are based off of ratings and quantity together, not just one or the other. Things must be rated high and by many people for you to earn the medal.
ha ha ha! erm NO :)
hmmm... really? 'tis what Im seaming to believe. ;)
Medals are awarded to those who submit regular content by:

* posting highly-rated links, videos,
images and articles

* starting active forum topics and picks

* and active participation

=) I think ratings are a big part of getting
medals, i made some spots, which there are no
ratings mostly ='(
How do you earn medals? As Stated in the FAQ

We have a magic scoring system that we like to keep secret so that we don’t promote abuse or gaming from users. Fanpop is about collaboration, not competition. All you need to know is that if you keep on contributing great stuff to the spot, you will be rewarded accordingly. Think of it like getting that bonus present under the Christmas tree that you weren’t expecting from Santa. It's that much sweeter when you get a surprise.
over a year ago Sazza said…
I like the medals because it means when that once I become a die-hard fan I can upload more pictures at the same time which is great if I am addding screenshots, I also feel proud when I get a medal because it means people liked the content I uploaded because they took the time to rate it. However, I can see your point that people sometimes just upload rubbish to gain a medal but I don't feel they should be taken away forever.
I agree with Sazza. I feel proud when I get a medal because it shows that people view my content and appreciate it. It is very annoying, however, when people upload junk just to get the reward. I don't think that medals should be taken away completely, but maybe they should just make it more difficult to attain them. It wouldn't stop it completely, but it might help.
over a year ago Sazza said…
big smile
I love the new comments, it is so cool
smile
Also happy with the new comments. It was a nice way of introducing emotes without the spam
over a year ago babybell said…
smile
You may already know that Mac users, such as myself, can only add 5 images at a time, which brings us to distinct disadvantage on the getting medals front. If you want to add more than 15 you quickly find yourself getting bored and adding the numbers that make a difference requires amazing amounts of patience. Is there anything you can do about this, or do we just have to deal?
over a year ago richie160004 said…
big smile
Hi Dave, How do you like my idea that all the banners with Fanpop logo, I made the sample, See images in fanpop name "Banners with fanpop logo"
over a year ago smoore23 said…
Now I'm sure not everyone will agree with me here, but I think screencaps should have unlimited uploads whether a person has a die-hard/fanatic medal or not. I uploaded some to the 30 Rock spot a few weeks ago, but it took so, so long because I could only upload 20 at a time.

They all would have the same keywords anyway: (show name), (season #), (episode name) (episode #).

It's really kind of a turn-off when I can only upload 20 screencaps at a time when there are 1000+ per episode.

Just an idea.
I'm not loving the emotes. It's just kinda corny and it reminds me of other websites.
I dont hate the emotes but I dont love it either. Im usins classic ones that you can write like this --------> :D
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but how about a special section on the home page that shows recently created clubs?
And another thing...You can only add the same link 3 times. What if you're trying to promote a new club on related spots? The most convenient way of doing that is to add a link, but you can only do that 3 times. Why the limit?
are we having image problems again?
Yup, image problems over here too. Should be just server problems. Temporary and all that.
over a year ago Nyssa said…
Can't search forums, so I don't know if these have been suggested already:

- "Give Props" icon on each contribution
- Make the "Keywords" field required to fill
- Make the "Description" field required to fill (for "Links" contributions, at least)
cool
I'm liking all your ideas 'sept for that last one ^^ Sometimes, it's hard for people to pull a description out of their butt for something small like a picture or link. ;)

EDIT: Knifey and coffee, I saw the image problem a couple of days ago as well, but now I think it's fine. isn't it?
smile
yes at least on my end.
over a year ago Nyssa said…
wink
Yeah, I think images and videos can do without description since they usually speak for themselves anyway, but sometimes links with the title alone is not enough to give an idea of what they are about. So, it happens at times when I try out such link and it turns out to be of no interest to me.

And it's very easy to make up description for links! If say, it's a news article, you could just copy a short paragraph from it for the description and if it's a fan site or whatever else, you just have to describe what it contains (and it doesn't have to be 100+ words). Very very easy!
sick
i still would like a word countdown on picks, descriptions etc
i made a pick today and all my answers were too long but i had to re-edit a gazzilion times cause..well i didnt COUNT the characters
sad
You may already know that Mac users, such as myself, can only add 5 images at a time, which brings us to distinct disadvantage on the getting medals front. If you want to add more than 15 you quickly find yourself getting bored and adding the numbers that make a difference requires amazing amounts of patience. Is there anything you can do about this, or do we just have to deal?

Thats what babybell said and i feel the same way.
Sounds like a real pain, I'll support that idea as well <gives cheesy thumbs up>

For the meanwhile, you could open up the "add images" page in multiple tabs, and add five on each tab.
over a year ago oblix said…
updates, to have an update when a new forum is posted, the amount of forum i've missed because i never knew they were there.

(unless they're are already there and i'm just as blind as a bat)
over a year ago loves-oth said…
i would love a system of image uploading that works for mac users as well.
i can only ever add five images at a time. and it takes me so long to upload my images!it would just be nice to get a little more. :)
just copied and pasted this from a comment i made on a pick about keywords, only something small but could maybe help the keywords situation, similar to the sentence above the picks and pop quizzes

"i'm getting the feeling some people don't have the concept of keywords maybe on the bar thing when you fill them out their should be a explanation that deletes when you start typing sort of like those "type your text here" things you see on most sites but sort of says something like "keywords should be specific to the image to help fellow fans find it easily"
over a year ago Praesse said…
I think it would be great to have a quoting system in the forums, so you can quote what someone said without copying&pasting his/her comment. It'd make the forums easier to understand and it'd be a really good improvement.
over a year ago kuhriissten said…
for images in each spot, is there a way to view more than 15 pictures at a time? because when people rate them its annoying that we can only rate/view 15 at a time.

and under the activity part in our own profiles, can you separate viewing the images. like you can choose to view all the icons you've added or all the fan art you've added.
worried
do questions in the "answers" sector close? or is there a possibility for the person who asked to close them?
because if the answer to a question is: episode 3 season 8- i dont see the point of 8 people answering that question with the same info over and over.
id like the possibility to subscribe to certain answers and not ALL of them...not each time someone writes a response i get an update...that seems a bit spammy :S
cool
Agreed, Germany. I was wondering about that too.

Also, I would live for the "A Question was added" and "An Answer was added" update to be seperated into 2 different updates. I'm liking all the Questions, but I don't really care about the answers. If I'm interested in finding an answer for a question, I would want to use an "Add this to my updates" Button, like with picks. Am I alone on this thought? *Looks out window hopefully*
big smile
*Waves towards window* I would also very much like an add to my updates on the questions feature (which btw is legendary)
I agree with germany! I think getting answers for all the questions is overkill. Also, why does each answer have it's own update? When you click on one, you see all the answers. It should be like comments- you only see the most recent comment in your updates.
smile
yep also the plus of the adding to updates is that you get updates for spots youre not a fan of. i asked a question in the "gossip girl" spot (i cant subscribe its just way to spoilery and spammy) and then when i went back to it it had 5 answers i wasnt aware of :S
angelic
now I know i might be tedding oot aboot this and really nobody likes a ted but when you edit an article it always says "edit a article". im guessing its from when they were called soapboxes but i stare at it every time!
over a year ago DarkSarcasm said…
I really like Germany's suggestions for the 'answers' feature, especially having the option to close questions after they've been properly answered.

For example, the question link has 16 answers now. Because the answer "Yes, it's Anthony" is so important and complex, it cannot be handled by one person.
over a year ago astroasis said…
I really think the spot channels need to be cleaned up. I thought I'd surf through the channels and see if there's any interesting spots I might want to join that I missed. To be honest? It's kind of frustrating at times.

Take the Movies channel. It seems to contain movies, movie stars, movie characters, comics that have been made into movies, books that happen to have a movie made of them, video games that have corresponding movies... Anything and everything that has anything remotely to do with movies.

Which means that any given page in the "Movies" section has... Well, the one I'm on right now has 20 spots listed. 6 of them are actually movies.

If I'm looking for a character, there's a Characters channel. If I'm looking for an actor, there's a Celebrities channel. The overlap is really bogging down the channels and making it hard to browse!

This has been a pet peeve since I joined Fanpop, to be honest. Some overlap is to be expected or even helpful, but some is just ridiculous.
This may be a suggestion or a notification that something's wrong.
I tried to report this pick: link
For this reason:"This question asks for an opinion, rather than a fact (it is not a fact that someone should/should not get a Wii Fit). Therefore it should be a pick."
It came back with this error message:"Sorry, we were unable to access this answer."

Either we can't report "Answer" questions or it's a bug to iron out.
smile
can i just say that i think thats a valid use of the "ANSWERS" feature? of course it could be phrased better( what this person wants/expects), but it invites people so give answers in terms of "its not worth it because" or "yes its great because".

i thinks thats accurately what the answers section is made for!
Fair enough. Still needs a few bugs fixed. Oh, while I remember it, last time I checked the "add to updates" button said "add your answer" or something like that.
over a year ago kuhriissten said…
fix the image uploader for mac users...and fix fanpop for macbook users because if i open up more than 3 pages from fanpop then the pages dont even load.
To astroasis' comment: maybe making the primary channel more distinct from the secondary and tertiary channels would be a way of doing this (that is, cleaning up the channels). This would be both: making the primary channel stand out in the form when you create/edit a spot, and then making the clubs that have that channel listed as their primary channels stand out/sort first in the channel listings. While it's valid to have "A Series of Unfortunate Events" show up in the movies channel, its primary channel should be books, and so it shouldn't be listed in the movies channel before clubs that are primarily about movies, such as "Film Comedies".
Another suggestion: flip the text box with the type of report buttons in the reporting module. The way it is now, when I report a link, more than half the time I click the button as "broken" or "miscategorized" before I've written anything in the text box. Then I'm stuck with waiting for a moderator to contact me to ask why I reported a particular link, or submitting a second report with explanatory text. Preferable to either would be to have the text box first, then the buttons that submit the report come underneath.
Also, I'm going to "third" germany123's request for the capability of closing answers: when we make an Answer Request, we should be able to specify a close date, much as with picks. Many requests have time-specific answers, after which the question is just going to take up space: "when is this film going to be released?", "When will the next season start?" et cetera. Granted, my thinking is that these sort of questions start out as better questions for a forum thread than the Answers feature, but given that people do use the feature for temporal questions, there should be an expiration date for them.

This may have been requested already, but I also would like any list of Answer Requests to display an icon when I've provided an answer already. I answer a lot of ARs, and there are a lot of repeats, so it's difficult for me to keep track of which I've answered and which I haven't. Having an icon that shows each user when they've submitted an answer already will save us all a LOT of clicking.

Edited to correct a typo: "these" rather than "there"
over a year ago greenchoco101 said…
I think the old rating system was better. :)
also id like to reinforce my point aboot adding answers to our updates (like other content). my updates are swamped with useless alerts that someone answered some random (probably miscategorized) answer request (probably something thats been said before).
i would really like to choose which i get.

i really appreciate the comments feature though!!
A couple of additions to the list of suggestions for answers:

* Add Answers to a user's activity. Right now you can't look them up. How am I supposed to find the questions I've asked, much less ones other users have?
* Add Answers to search results. It would help a great deal if we could search to see if questions have been asked already.

(edited to ameliorate my rather peevish tone. Sorry, guys)
Unmarked spoiler picks have been a problem for a while. Maybe people with Fanatic medals in the spot can get the ability to mark picks as spoilers when their creators neglect to?
smile
Speaking of pick spoilers, How about being able to tell what the spoiler is about? It would be set up as something along the lines of this-
Warning:
This pick may contain spoilers about _________.

It could be an episode, a character, or something else that happened.
Yes, but what if some people think that's where you put the actual spoiler, letting everyone see it, spoiler tag or not? After all, we seem to have lots of users that don't like to read things. :/
"This pick may contain spoilers about The episode 'Cold Wars'" Where's the harm in that?
No, I'm saying they might fill it in as something like "This pick may contain spoilers about when so-and-so dies".
worried
Ah. :x
I've written an article link with my thoughts on the Rating System and a suggestion on how it could be improved.

Also, I think there needs to be more response to certain reports. There's an image in the Powerpuff girls spot that has been up for 10 months. I've reported it TWICE myself. The image has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Powerpuff Girls.

Also, more emoticons. A thumbs up, an idea-like light bulb, things like that... I find I often don't use the emotes because I can't quite find the right one.
Also:

Fanpop's uploading process destroys many animated images. I'm not sure exactly HOW it does this, but it definitely does. Since a lot of really nice icons are animated, this severely limits the quality content that can be uploaded here. This really should be fixed!
hmmm
Also: There needs to be better options for reporting content. For one thing, a "duplicate" report option should be added to all images/links/videos. Especially images! In the Inuyasha spot, the 6 most recently updated images in the photos section are duplicates of 6 images uploaded on page 2!

Also, there needs to be a better means of recategorizing poorly categorized images. The Inuyasha spot is also a good example of this, too. There is fanart and screencaps littering the Photos section - which makes it difficult for people to find whatever kind of images they're looking for - and also difficult to avoid putting up duplicates (for instance, I looked over the screencaps section before I started uploading any, to make sure I didn't add any that were already there... but I see now that there's a bunch mixed into the Photos section and to be honest, this all makes me want to throw my hands up and not bother adding more content to the spot).

Ultimately, I find that Fanpop is getting larger and larger... and some spots are sadly starting to feel like they're populated entirely by silly fangirls (which is the nicest term I can think of for them) - which turns me off to the site entirely.

It might be time to look into getting some moderators, at least for certain spots.
kiss
A) ive said it and will say it again: please provide countdown of characters for pick options,descriptions etc

B)please make "answer requests" searchable. and i would love for them to be handled like everything else in the updates..the ones you add pop up the ones you dont...well.....dont :P

C)will the comments on answers be editable?its so stupid to delete it when you notice you left oot a word or made a typo.but i love that we can comment on them now :DDD

D)id still like a forum update i.e. a new forum "title" has been added to spot XYZ

E)an article written by the f4 (NUDGE NUDGE ;))on their take on the medals..just so i have something to reference!!!!

F) my own answers added to my activity section like "regular comments" its impossible to keep track now...

aside from that: go f4, you guys rock! sorry for being such a nag :)
I agree with all that. And unless you haven't noticed Dave.....
WE WANT THE OLD RATING SYSTEM BACK! Sorry, I just can't stand how such a superior system has been replaced by this.... this thing! It's even diluting the colour scheme!

As a long term thing, could you make the site more accessable to people using different hardware and software? Mac-users are having problems with images and I'm having a few difficulties using the site on my PS3. Ever since my computer contracted a nuke of a virus I've been using the PS3's internet browser. I can't add things to my updates, edit my messages or view Fanpop Chat properly (it can't be read at the standard PS3 zoom distance, and zooming in causes part of the left side of the screen to be cut off. Could you budge the application over a few steps to the left?)

The site is doing great, the troll problem is almost non-existant now and with this new Answers feature I'm sure we'll have a cleaner site with less mistakes, repeats and confusions.
smile
I wouldn't mind the new rating system if you added how many have rated it, That is my only complaint with it.
over a year ago Earthgirl13 said…
This will NEVER get seen, but here goes. I think that we should be able to have our own backgrounds and design our page. That would be awesome! In fact, I think I'm going to start a separate topic.
monkey
^^this does get seen and the f4 try do a lot to make everyone happy ;)
let me just warn you that the question has been discussed many times and most users like the simple clean and non spammy backgrounds.
though papa did mention something aboot customizing..*shudders*
here's a suggestion.
delete this article.
link
and then myra will come back.
I really dont want to get involved in all the drama thats going on. But I would be totally against the deleting of an article because they are opinions and in deleting one fans opinion just to please another is wrong. It gives off the impression that Myra is somehow more worthy then Snerkie. Having rarely come across Myra on the site I cant comment on her but Ive always foud Snerkie to be a great user.
sad
Why the Heck would that article make Myra want to leave give me a break and for petes sake Myra is a big girl and more than capable to speak for her self as is evident in the comment section so there is no reason to delete another users article.
Off-topic I saw a comment on a OTH pick (on PS3 so cant link) advising people to report the article. This in my opinion is totally misuse of the report I was just wondering how strict is the reporting system?
"on PS3 so cant link" Oh, speaking of PS3 usage, they've added a patch of sorts which lets you copy/paste things now. I swear they're actually reading Fanpop forums....
big smile
Oh yeah I hadnt read what it did but that makes me happy!
over a year ago nandacavalieri said…
Have "My Favorite Actors/Actress" in your profile...
are there any plans to further improve the filtering in updates?
now i just go crazy atm reporting repeats and all the stupid STUPID answer requests..sincere apologies btw..they can all stay if they werent spamming my updates as much. there is barely any useful content added these days just people revolving around themselves and making stupid spots for their ships/fanpop cliques etc which are all over the front page and could just all be deleted btw.
and if useful content IS added occasionally it gets lost.
i would like to have a further filter (bear in mind i have no idea how difficult technically this would be so im just throwing it oot there) that lets me alter the updates for different spots.
so for example:
how i met your mother: all content enabled
veronica mars: videos OFF (one more LoVe batch upload and i will kill a user) but other content enabled
etc
smile
id love an "undo" for the "i voted this as best answer" option (like on picks) because i accidentally voted a best answer that didnt actually solve the problem..and now i cant undo it..non eof the given answers actually solve the problem so i cant just change it.
clicking the button again should "undo"...that would be helpful!
MORE IMAGES FOR MAC USERS! MY DREAM WOULD BE UNLIMITED IMAGES!

we ask all the time, isn't that enough?
MORE IMAGES FOR MAC USERS! MY DREAM WOULD BE UNLIMITED IMAGES!

we ask all the time, isn't that enoug
laugh
or just make it 5 for everyone else and make it fair.
sad
In "Contact Us" there is no adequate category for getting a spot on "Pop Culture" so it's hard to know which one to use, I think that this may have been why papa said that he never received a message about the Fanpoppies, I'm pretty sure I classed it as "Just Because".
In "Contact Us" there is no adequate category for getting a spot on "Pop Culture" so it's hard to kno
Loves-oth I doubt its that simple to implement
sick
yay for limited uploading...!! id fully support that. oh and please get rid of the medal system while youre at it :)))
i had something more clever to say but i forgot..
yes i know it's not that simple, but they can do it for pc?
lol.
i agree with the people here.
why don't you make pc users upload 1 images at a time MWAHAHAHA!

they would know how it feels!

keep the medal system lol!
i have two issues no wait three with the search:

1) the spot keywords or titles dont seem to matter much to the search.
when searching "love" you get a TON of spots(more than a thousand)...johnny depp,paramore etc all because people put they "love them" in the subheading.there are a number of searches i tried and i dont get why the subheading would "trump" the title :S

2)you cant search "answers" or forum titles.

3) when a club is deleted the search results still show the number. some searches give you 5 results but the count on the top suggests you should be getting more..its really confusing.
Please extend the maximum character length of answers. Some of the better answer requests have long, complicated answers, and I find myself having to abbreviate, abbreviate, abbreviate. There are some answer requests I haven't answered because I know that I can't answer them in the space provided.

Hand-in-hand with that, published answers beyond a certain length (300 characters? 400?) should be abbreviated with a "read more" link so that the verbose answers don't dominate the page real estate.
Speaking of maximum characters, the character limit on Image Credit needs to be increased.

Example: link

EDIT: got my mords wuddled up
EDIT: got my words muddled up :P
Suggestion: Create a splash page for the super quiz, specifically so that we can "share the link" with our friends who haven't yet registered for Fanpop. Right now there's no page explaining the quiz for people who aren't Fanpop users. You might get more traffic through the quiz if you did.
link inspired me cause YES spammy fanvids are annyoing! could they be their own category like screencaps for images so we could filter them?