Gordon Ramsay Opinion Article

Only 8 Restaurants from Kitchen Nightmares still open

Opinion by Wolfull posted over a year ago
It's pretty unbelievable but listed on the Kitchen Nightmares fansite it shows only 8 of the 22 restaurants visited in the UK series are still open under the same owners.
The break down;
Season1: 1 Restaurant still open
Season2: 1 Restaurant still open
Season3: 0 Restaurants still open
Season4: 3 Restaurant still open
Season5: 4 Restaurant still open

As you can see most of the restaurants still open are one from the latest season... so it should only be a matter of time before more of them close.

Although not in anyways Ramsay's fault, it shows pretty clearly that being on Kitchen Nightmares doesn't help your restaurants chance of surviving much.. pity.

Wolfull said:
didn't link the fansite properly meant to be http://kitchennightmares.mangatower.comm.a­u/

Snerkie said:
wow, i never knew that. Sad that a lot of them have closed down and Ramsay couldn't save them.

Season1: 1 Restaurant still open
Season2: 1 Restaurant still open
Season3: 0 Restaurants still open
Season4: 3 Restaurant still open
Season5: 4 Restaurant still open

=9 Restaurants still open, not 8, lol

mokoia said:
I don't think you are being very fair to the show, they made the choice to appear on it and wanted Gordon's help. It is their own fault if their restaurant failed, some of them on the show don't even put his suggestions into practice. Most of them had left it far to long before they contacted the show, they were doomed from the start.

grfan1 said:
Maybe it's like the Phil Collin's song, "Love leads to isolation." I don't think it's a bad thing that the changes happened, if it is for the best. You need to know your stuff in that business, and it is a major honor to meet GR himself. I was surprised that there wasn't more support from the guy after all the changes were made. And the violent reactions from the owners are really not necessary...these people need a shrink!

i think gordon is brilliant and fair and i could watch it over and over again. people need to carry on where e left off, otherwise it wont work, people need to help themselves and b determined, it shoule spur u on to do well. good on gordon

i am an aspiring chef, but i'm aprehensive to turn my talents into a buisness. I've worked under 3 (so-called) chefs before, only to leave the jobs, unfullfilled, upset, and loathing the food industry. i got sick of being screamed at in german, french, and italian. I love to cook, it makes me feel good to cook for people, and hear them say they enjoyed it. i like to create new food idea's, and i ususally end up cooking for small groups of people, that my freinds recommend me to. but as soon as they ernestly recommend me to open my own buisness,....i get scared, and shy away from it. i've seen what goes into the restauraunt buisness, and i've experienced what goes on behind the line, that the customer doesent see, it can be a thankless buisness, and alot of misery can happen and has happened, to me, and people that i've worked with, that deserve treated better. i love to cook.....i love to create,......i gues i'm asking for help,...or advice,....or, maybe i need a good swift kick in the ass, i dunno,....but i would LOVE to ask Gordon Ramsay, for his advice, and maybe a good swift kick in the ass, if i need it......i need my confidence renewed. If anyone knows how to contact Chef Ramsay, at least just to send this comment, so he can read it, please contact me, or forward it, to the powers that be, so it get's to his eyes, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
my e-mail addy is, happysabs@windstream.net

ribman said:
PRESS RELEASE:

DECEMBER 29, 2008

THE OWNER OF J WILLY’S BARBEQUE HOUSE CANCELS SALE

John W Ittenbach, one of the current owners of “J Willy’s Barbeque House”, a restaurant recently featured on Chef Gordon Ramsay’s show “Kitchen Nightmares”, has notified the real estate agent holding the listing that J Willy’s BBQ House will no longer be up for sale. J Willy himself has requested additional time to pursue like-minded investors willing to keep J Willy’s BBQ alive rather than selling it off. If there is anyone out there who wants to be in the restaurant business, this is the “chance of a lifetime”, says Ittenbach. John’s partners are willing to give up their shares of the company (including both land and building) and all their rights to the commercially bottled BBQ sauce to the
right investor. John and his employees deeply believe in this restaurant and know that what Gordon gave them is a special gift. We have a viable product that if partnered up with the right person(s), we could easily take it to the next level. All I need is someone to assume my partners interest in J Willy’s with no additional costs. The restaurant sale listing will expire in about 30 days and J Willy’s partners have given him until June 1st, 2009 before they will re-list the restaurant for sale. John “ J Willy” Ittenbach can be contacted at J Willys BBQ House business number (574) 272-5478 or through email at john@jwillys.com

monkey
Gisxx said:
It seems to me that most of these restaurant owners don't know the first thing about running a business. They seem to think anyone off the street can cook. It is apparent that half the owners have not even heard of the concept of 'market research'.It amazes me how stubborn these restaurant owners are, it takes them half the show to admit that perhaps there is something wrong with their food which doesn't leave much time for GR to help them. It's not much wonder the restaurants close down when they are run by stubborn owners often with low I.Q's. Even miracle workers couldn't fix the mess these people are in. I bet most of them revert back to their old lazy and unhygienic ways once GR has left.

bubba_kim said:
apparently Kitchen Nightmares hasn't been updating the site....I Live down the Street from where the Mixing Bowl USED to be. It closed about a year ago.

gdufault said:
I really shouldn't be surprised to read where only 8 restaurants are still open. Back around November 2009 I drove down to Orland Park, IL to visit another of Ramsay's attempts to 'turnaround' a failing restaurant...sure enough they too, were out of business. In watching this program it never ceases to amaze me how these restaurants that apparently 'ask' for Gordan's help, in the end wind up going back to their old ways, which, of course, is generally going to be their undoing. I guess the old adage: You can't teach an old dog new tricks definitely applies the majority of the time. One of the restaurants he featured several years back, one which was in Manhattan, N.Y., I had actually been to myself with some friends. When I saw it being showcased on the program I almost gagged when I saw the condition of this restaurant on the show. I don't know when I'll get back to New York again, but, when I do, I will visit this place again, under its new name to see how and if, its doing.

UMM!!!! GORDON RAMSEY IS AN AMAZING CHEF! AND HE HELPED THOSE PEOPLE WITH THEIR RESURANTS EVEN IF THEY DIDNT MAKE IT!

Grendel said:
I've worked for 15 years now in restaurants, starting from dishwasher to head chef, and honestly, WHILE I enjoy cooking, actually cooking for customers sucks, it's stressful plain and simple. I left that line of work vowing never to work in a kitchen again.
some celebrity chef screaming and ranting at how I cooked would not have helped improve things.
while I don't have any ill will toward's any of the restaurants , I am glad we were never so bad off as to need Gordon Ramsey to show up and yell.

I'd never start a business, I've seen how hard it can be, and what it can do to a person. I'd probably just write a cookbook.

I have started a new Kitchen Nightmares Blog with up to date info on what happened after Gordon left.

kcherki said:
I own a restaurant in Alameda City in the state of California for a year now, the location is kind of at a dead end but the view is amazing, it looks at San Francisco Bay but the only problem is that I need help from Chef Gordon Ramzay.
Can anyone please tell me how to contact him or his show of Kitchen"s Nightmare?
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Jonathan B.