Credit: Very Demotivational
I felt a compelling need to write this article because recently I have found myself more constantly thrust into situations and debates where I have to defend the Harry Potter fandom against the Twilight fandom, which I despise so much. My best friend and her family are actually major pro-Twilight fans. This past evening made me realize that there are so many reasons why Harry Potter is much more awesome than Twilight, and its not just the obvious ones either. Thus, I give you all the evidence you will ever need to successfully pwn a Twilight fan trying to bring your fandom down.
1. We have plot and character development, they don't.
2. Our actors are better than their's, as well as our films.
3. Harry Potter has been around since 1997 and is still going strong, Twilight has only been around since 2005.
Reasons of Personal Opinion
1. Stewart can't act. At all.
2. The Twilight films and books are way too easy to make fun of.
3. The Twilight fans are mostly scary and rabid. Compared to their fandom, Harry Potter fans look very docile and tame.
4. One word: Twimoms.
5. The visual effects in New Moon were laughable at best, hilarious at worst.
6. The awards that Twilight wins have no merit, such as MTV Movie Awards, Teen Choice Awards, and Kids Choice Awards.
7. Hot Topic continuously plagues their stores with Twilight merch and hinders our ability to get our hands on Harry Potter merch.
1. Twilight has sold over 100 million copies, Harry Potter has sold over 400 million.
2. Twilight is translated into 38 different languages, Harry Potter into 67 different languages.
3. In all time box office numbers, New Moon is ranked at #37 and Twilight is nowhere on the top 100. Harry Potter occupies three top 10 spots, with Sorcerer's Stone at #7, Order of the Phoenix at #9, and Half Blood Prince at #10.
4. The Twilight films have no Oscar or Golden Globe nominations, both of which are considered very high honors in film. Harry Potter has a total of 7 Oscar nominations. Three for Sorcerer's Stone, two for Prisoner of Azkaban, and one each for Goblet of Fire and Half Blood Prince.
5. Stephenie Meyer's net worth is around 150 million dollars. JK Rowling's is 1 billion dollars.
6. Stephen King has been quoted saying Stephenie Meyer can't write. That's huge coming from one of the most successful horror authors. Here is the actual quote from his 2009 interview in USA Weekend: "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."
So next time you find yourself in a heated debate with a Twilight fan and find yourself in a pickle as to how to defend your love for Harry Potter, this arsenal of facts and reasons should help you make a solid stance. I hope this is of assistance to you. Always remember fellow Harry Potter fans, our fandom has critical acclaim, major gross revenue, and longevity over Twilight. In a hundred years, which series do you think will be remembered? Harry Potter of course, for its ingenuity, creativity, developed plot and characters, and life long themes and lessons.
Box Office Mojo All Time Box Office Worldwide