Harry Potter Opinion Article

Why I love Bellatrix Lestrange ♥

Opinion by zanhar1 posted over a year ago
Bellatrix Lestrange
I have been on the Harry Potter spot for a while now and I constantly find myself getting asked "why do you like Bellatrix?" So I decided to type up this article. Thank you lifeisgoodx3 for inspiring me to do so.

So why would some one like a person who killed Sirius, Dobby, Tonks, and tortured Hermione and the Longbottms? Well I actually have multiple reasons as to why I like her; Bellatrix stands for what she believes in, she's crazy and funny, pretty, unique, strong and confident, she has an interesting story behind her, I can relate to her, she has potential to be a good guy, and I have a lot of good memories that relate to her.

Firstly, Bellatrix is very loyal and devoted. Though her loyalties lie on the evil side and her devotion is to someone darker then dark the trait is apparent. I respect and admire the fact that Bellatrix is so dedicated. Bellatrix never one thought about betraying Voldemort or switching sides. Bellatrix spent fifteen years in Azkaban unlike a lot of the Death Eaters who wormed their way out of it believing that Voldemort was gone for good. Bella kept her faith in Voldemort, believing he would return for her. In the end her waiting payed off, she rightfully earned her place as 'the Dark Lord's most faithful.'

Which leads to the fact that Bellatrix stands up for what she believes in. Bellatrix was so loyal to her cause that she would stand for it even if it coasted her, her life, and it did. Bellatrix's death was in vain, she died fighting for Voldemort, his death being only minutes after her's. The cause Bellatrix had once stood for fell. The fact that Bellatrix died for something she believed in, to me is respectable. I like her charter more knowing she didn’t die for solely for acting foolish or out of selfishness like most villains and villainesses.

I also respect Bellatrix as a fighter. She is very powerful, she can deflect spells form Dumbledore and she is an occlumer as said by Snape in Half Blood Prince. Even her name means warrior... female warrior to be exact, now that’s saying something. I also like her fighting style... crazy and unpredictable, and in the movies almost child like. She has an entertaining why of taunting her enemies while she fights... through lullaby like chants, a sing song voice, and what Rowling calls her mock baby tone. To me this is a distinct original way of doing things.

Another reason why I love Bellatrix so much, this probably being the main one; she is so crazy and funny. While most find the I killed Sirius black song to be horrible and unnecessary, I think it is funny in its own dark way. I mean come on, you're sitting in you theater seat and all of a sudden ♫ I killed Sirius Black I killed Sirius Black! ♪ Another thing that made me laugh was when she torched Hgrid's hut, it was the fact that she started jumping up and down and cheering that made it so funny. She was even acting crazy on her way out of Hogwarts and in the forest, jumping on the table knocking glasses over, then cheering wildly and shouting random nonsense. In Deathly Hallows (Movie) she volunteered herself to kill Harry, when Voldemort told her no she got all pouty like a little girl who was just told "no you can’t have ice cream." I thought that was pretty cute. In the Malfoy manor when she found out about the Gryffindor soward and went all hyperactive-super-Bella-to-Voldy's-rescue and nearly strangled Scabior had it's own dark humor too. And her "Put the boys in the cellar me and the mudblood are going to talk girl to girl" quote was pretty funny, her voice tone and the quote it's self. The way Bellatrix tortured Hermione in the movie was hilarious, seeing as she was totally on top of poor Hermione and it looked like she was eating Hermione's arm. I could not take that seriously. And the look on her face after Dobby told her he didn’t mean to kill just seriously injure... priceless. Another funny Bellatrix moment was in the book OotP, the part where she got a door literally slammed in her face that was too funny.

As for loving Bella's insanity, I've always been fascinated by crazy characters she gives me something though think about; what makes Bellatrix how she is?

Now I would imagine since I mentioned being able to relate to her that everyone would want to know why... well for starts a really basic one, we're both the eldest sister of two siblings. Like her I have a bit of a paranoia issue... don’t judge me! I am loyal and devoted to things I'm passionate about, hence why am typing this and why I get so obsessed with certain characters. And last but not least another quite simple one... I'm considered to be the strange one by most people.

Speaking of strange Bellatrix is unique, I love that about her. She has her own sense of style; form the ripped up straight out of Azkaban dress to her newest Deathly Hallows dress. Her necklace is really out there too, it's way cool... a bird skull, I wonder if she killed the bird herself lol! Even her hair is a bit odd, wild and crazy like her.. The best part is, her appearance isn’t just there for looking at, it helps reflect her mental state too. I think her weird unusual style is very beautiful.

Another aspect about Bellatrix I really adore is that she has a lot of self confidence. She will fight for herself and doesn’t depend on others to come to her rescue.

I also appreciate Bellatrix's will to protect Narcissa. She fallowed her all the way to Snape's house to keep Cissy from making what she thought was a big mistake. Some people may say that it was out of her own selfish whim but I believe that while the action did somewhat come out of her distrust from Snape it did have to do with protecting Narcissa. Why? Because she was telling Narcissa that it would displease Voldemort if she told anyone of Draco's task. Of course breaking a Voldy rule results in pain. And this was before she found out that Snape already knew of the task. Bellatrix's care for her little sister is just one more reason for me to love my Bellatrix.

I also believe that Bellatrix has the potential to become a good person. She obviously displays signs of love (towards Voldemort ands Narcissa) in fact most of her actions are done out of her love for Voldemort. She does everything she does just to impress him sort of like a love-sick teen. Now if only Voldemort was taken out of the picture. Most people would say that since Voldemort didn’t die during her lifetime that her becoming good was imposable. In books six I think that Bellatrix actually was showing signs of doubt in Voldemort thus the whole "I believe the dark lord is... mistaken" quote. Perhaps it was because of some behind the scenes punishment for her failure in the department of mysteries.

Last but not least the memories she brings. When I was little and Deathly Hallows first came out I thought Bellatrix was Greyback. (Yes my sister and I read the books out of order lol) You're probably wondering how the heck did this happen, well I don’t exactly know. I believe it had something to do with mixing up their quotes, because we thought Greayback was a girl (because we thought Fenrir was a girl name) I think we thought all the 'she said' quotes where Greyback's. That was fun for us because we made a comedy story about Greyback (being a werewolf) getting taken to a pound with this vision of Bellatrix in our heads, that is book Bella because the OotP movie wasn’t out at the time. Another memory was bought when I was with my friend at the OotP midnight premiere. I was sitting in the theater and Bellatrix comes out of Azkaban cackling like crazy, I turn over to my friend and say "Greyback is one crazy chick." My friend looks at me like I’m an idiot and says that's Bellatrix, it was at that moment I laughed my butt of and realized Bellatrix was my true favorite character. Another good one was when I got that Bellatrix doll, my sister and I built Lego Azkaban and put her in it. We also dressed her up as a fairy princess, at this moment she’s dressed up in Christmas attire. Last and most recently was dressing up as her for Halloween and to the midnight premier of Deathly Hallows.

Bellatrix Lestrange, you either lover her or hate her, and I love her. Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed. ☺

Bellatrix Lestrange in Half Blood Prince.

Wow, awesome article! How long did it take to write all that?
Yeah, I've always loved Bellatrix but never known why I did, and I think your article just helped me realise why...
Bellatrix is so cool.
Why do you reckon she got all sadistic and evil? Maybe just because she loved Voldy and tried to make him love her back? What do you reckon her childhood was like?
Congrats for writing all that!

Dang! thats great zanhar! *claps* awesome job!

nany5755 said:
cool!i always like her.and i love the way she talks

zanhar1 said:
@TheprincessTale It took me 3 hours to write the rough drat in school (because I had to do school work too) and 1 hour and a half to type the actual artical.

I think she became evil mainly because of Voldemort, possibly how her parents raised her, a bad childhood, and Im pretty sure Azkaban exsaperated it.

I think she was a spoild child, part of me also thinks she was abused.

@Thanks shadowqueen and nany. ☺

Awesome article, zanhar! I'm glad I inspired you to write it, because it's great! It doesn't change my views on Bella, but I certainly now know why you like her.

zanhar1 said:
Thanks. Im glad you liked it.

Nice article. Well written. I agree on all counts.

claps for u zanhar ... ur article was amazing ... it says the very same things i try to say to my friends when they ask me why i love bella .... so true

thanks zanhar

zanhar1 said:
No problem, and thank you.

Bellatrix rules. Insanity is awesome. ♥
I find her enthusiasm to be really cute and childish, even when she's taking pleasure in the most horrific things like torturing anyone who isn't pure-blooded and killing Sirius, one of the best characters. She took pride in it too! "I killed Sirius Black, you comin to get me?" She was so excited about killing Harry too.
Plus, she's totally a Voldemort fangirl!
I think her relationship with Draco is really sweet too. Whilst Cissy has always been protective, it was Bellatrix who's like the mentor as well as godmother and auntie - she's like the guardian who, with Lucius, taught him all these things.

^ pretty much ☺

Wow that was a good article!Bellatrix was always my fave character :)

Thanks

Wow, the article was great! Now I like Bellatrix too!

thats great Fati_Martinez **claps**

zanhar1 said:
☺ Thank you for joining the Bellatrix side lol.

She was even acting crazy on her way out of Hogwarts and in the forest, jumping on the table knocking glasses over, then cheering wildly and shouting random nonsense.- That right there was one of my fave Bellatrix moments!

zanhar1 said:
Mine too. I loved that random nonsense, though i have no clue what she was saying something about "Hagrid you home" lol.

Poseidon3 said:
Good article!

Thanks

This is a really good aritcle! Ever considered writing?? ...not the point.

I really loved the part when you said, "Bellatrix stands for what she believes in, she's crazy and funny, pretty, unique, strong and confident, she has an interesting story behind her..." because I never really thought of her like that. Too me, she's a total wack-job. But you really go into detail in the good in her.

I take things a little too personally! So I guess I just judge people immediatly (which is a pretty nasty thing to do now that I think about it!). My views on things change drastically so one minute I could love something and the next I hate it with a passion! My feelings towards Bellatrix havent really changed, purely because I constantly focus on the bad, but your article has opened my eyes a little. So thank you :)

Much Love xo

LadyL68 said:
Amen.

Totally well written and gave fully reasonable reasons toward your respect and liking towards the insane bitch. And I agree with you in some cases; she certainly isn't my favorite character, but some things about her bring her a bit up in my Harry Potter favorite character list. Yes, you really seem to understand Bellatrix and dug out the things that made her a human being; a sadistic one, but still human. Very good.

Well stated and i agree with you on it. XD

TiBiscuit said:
So, I'm one of those who can't stand Bellatrix, but I don't regret following the link to your article! It was very well explained, and although it doesn't change my view on the character, it made me understand her fans' point of view. Great job! :)

wow!!well written Zahnar! had fun reading :)

for me what attracts me is her warrior side....she has a whole aura about her...she caught my attention when she first made an appearance in OOTP after all the building the hype around her character in GOF and throughout the 5th book...
she was tantalizingly frightening in the battle...she single handedly defeated Tonks,Kingsley & killed Sirius...don't mind anyone but i never quite loved Sirius the way people seem to and perhaps that's why i never hated Bella(when she killed dobby and tortured hermione and killed tonks i was sad,very very sad and really concerned for hermione too.but she was doing what she had to do.why would she show mercy to people who mean threat?? if everyone is that sane,kind and merciful and noble there would be no Bellatrix left in the world!!!)

..and in the battle when dumbledore makes an appearance and catches up all those death eaters,he tries to capture bellatrix too but she deflects his curse...a woman who can deflect Dumbledore's spell is awesome and i have been a fan since :)

and i don't need to really put in words to describe the awesomeness of Bellatrix Lestrange...JKR did that herself

"She was a witch, as Harry knew, with prodigious skill and no conscience."

"or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it."

"...his last, best lieutenant..."

zanhar1 said:
@pompeybabe thank you so much thus is one of the nicest comments I recived! Glad I could help you see the good in Bella, and yes I actually have considered writing, I aspire to be an author.

@dark_angel thanks. I really do try to be open minded with characters and one of the reasons I love villains is because they give me the opportunity to dig deep and try to understand them. Once again thanks for your feed back, much appricated.

@TiBiscut thanks :) nice to know someone got the point of the article lol.

@jhakanaka420 thank you :D I agree I was very curious about her character after reading GoF and before reading OotP.

ngott said:
You have a very interesting opinion, and a very well written article, but I strongly disagree with you on many of your points.

Firstly, you say she is loyal and devoted to Vold, because she believes in the same thing, which is discrimination! She could smell power in Vold, and could be afraid of him, which I think she is, I see more of a kiss up-in fear rather than a person who really loves him.

Second, when you said you respected her as a fighter, she is just ruthless, and mean! She wanted to Kill Harry, not because she hated him, she only hated him because Voldemort did and she didn't actually know exactly why Voldemort hated him...

You said she shows potential to be a good person, but, that's the thing, she wasn't. EVERYONE in the series had potential to be a good person, even Voldemort, but they just didn't see the light.

From what we can perceive from the books, I'm betting she enjoyed killing Neville's parents, and killing her own Cousin! She is a ruthless, heartless bloodthirsty....person?

Well that's my opinion...

ngott said:
I do respect your love for villains, as much as I disagree with the ones like Bellatrix.

zanhar1 said:
That's fine we all have our opinions. But J.K Rowling said it herself Bellatrix does love Voldemort thus her devotion to him was true and it was not just that they shared the same beliefs, that was only part of it. And also she didn't kill Neville's parents she tortured them, though many do seem to think she killed them. It's good to know that you at least respect my point of view. Thanks for you're compliments and critiques. :)

ngott said:
Well, I just meant that Neville's parents were as good as dead.

After reading your article a second time....Wow, it's just amazing....Well I'm actually starting to agree with you :)

Bellatrix being a very complicated character, can have many points of view, and now after reading yours, I'm not really sure what I think of her anymore. You really changed my thinking about her :)
However I still can see the evil in her, I don't hate her though....

Lol kind of true.

Oh that's cool nice to hear :) opinions can always change ;)

Oh really once again thanks I'm glad you don't hate her anymore and can see a good side and bad side her. You're very open minded and I like that :)

irmafan said:
great article.I love Bellatrix she is so awesome :)

Thanks

Kittylexy said:
I can tell why you love her so much

:*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Yeah she is great and i love her wackiness and Helena just played her flawlessly-you're article is very well written! I'll always stick to the fact that I hate her for killing Sirius but then again he's one of my favourite characters but yeah she's insane and some people don't understand that she's just a character and loving a deep antagonist is fun!

"She may be bad but she's perfectly good at it!"

Great article X

Esme1977 said:
I will always love her, no matter what she does.
=)