Hugh Grant Hugh and his Britishness!

fessjarmer posted on Oct 17, 2008 at 01:43PM
We all love a Romcom, especially when Hugh Grant is in it! But what is it about Hugh Grant that makes him likeable? He always seems to play a british ponce! (I can say this, as I am British myself)
Hugh Grant is one of my favourite actors, but why doesn't his performances vary? Does Hugh's typecast make him more likeable?

Hugh Grant 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
I think the thing about Hugh Grant (and I'm actually writing an essay about him this very moment for a film course - I'm distracting myself with more discussion about Hugh Grant... at least it's helpful) is that he does play the same kind of character in every movie, but we know that that character is funny and charming and so we don't really mind. Can you ever imagine him being an American cop? Maybe he's not a good enough actor, maybe he knows his fans wouldn't like it or maybe he's just too British. I think it's the familiarity with his acting that makes him popular, we know it's the same but we know it's also bloody funny so we don't really mind. It's worked for him so he's stuck to it. Some people will criticize (and I suppose for good reason) but he's popular enough that it doesn't matter.

(I've watched 4 of his movies in a row and Notting Hill twice I've definitely noticed the pattern lol)