Jane Eyre New Jane Eyre adaptation!

evrogers posted on Jul 21, 2008 at 04:42PM
A new adaptation of Jane Eyre is in the works for 2009. Juno's Ellen Page has been cast as Jane. What do you think of this casting choice?

Jane Eyre 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago chel1395 said…
Wow, that will be interesting to see. I wonder if they going to have her fake a British accent or is it going to be an American version. Either way, more Jane Eyre sounds good to me. :D
over a year ago Orinoco said…
You can't have Jane Eyre with an american accent that would ruin the whole thing! I wonder who will play Mr Rochester?
over a year ago xElvenPiratex said…
It sounds pretty horrible to me, actually. She's so sarcastic and cynical, it's hard to imagine her playing someone sweet, meek, and submissive. But who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
over a year ago szmootyi said…
Ellen Page sounds good... but who's gonna play Mr. Rochester?
over a year ago Janvier said…
I would vote for Gerard Butler as Mr. Rochester. (he was in The Phantom of the Opera film)
over a year ago reneesme15 said…
i don't like the idea of an american playing jane eyre. tey made the same mistake of casting an american to play bertrix potter. i would like to know who is playing mr rochester. i will stil be watching it though as i am a hugh fan of the noval and just hope that they will not distroy it by having an american playing one of my top 10 heroins
over a year ago cecilly said…
Gerard Butler would be delicious. But then so would Richard Armitage (North and South), Clive Owen or Hugh Jackman. And who cares if they're too handsome? Isn't Rochester supposed to be sex on legs?
over a year ago JElover said…
laugh
I think that I'll like Ruth Wilson best still; I don't think that's it's possible for anyone to ever be a better Jane than Ruth, she was amazing! I'm interested to know what it's going to be like. Does anyone know when it's coming out or who any of the other people are in it? a.k.a. Mr. Rochester! :)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
zzz
Maybe it's because I love Juno so much but I can't see Ellen being a good Jane, simply because I expect her to be a tomboy. But she's a great actress, chances are she'll surprise us.
imdb page for Jane Eyre 2009: link
It currently doesn't have any details on cast ect.
Lol should make Mr Rochester Jason Bateman and complete the Juno-ness (and also destroy the movie).
over a year ago dreamwork115 said…
I don't know about Page as Jane- she is american!?! Anyway I thought about Rochester and what do you think about Rufus Sewell?
over a year ago BlackSandals said…
smile
They cast Richard Armitage as Mr Rochester and I'll approve it :D
And they also should cast someone british to play Jane.
hmmm
OH! I approve! I really love that guy. I dunno if he can beat Toby though... and I'm not sure I want him to.
OH! I approve! I really love that guy. I dunno if he can beat Toby though... and I'm not sure I want
over a year ago MissEyre said…
I absaloutly agree Ruth was the best Jane Eyre to date . I dont think Ellen could do better, shes a grEAT actrees but just not Jane im afraid . Its much better when english people play english character rather then american plaing english XI ,<3 ruth x
over a year ago JE06_fan said…
i was thinking about the casting and had some ideas. i hope several people will agree with me. for Jane, i hoped for Drew Barrymore. She'd do very well as a young innocent girl. For Rochester, i thought about Richard Gere or Dustin Hoffman, but they seemed too old. I then thought of Johnny Depp. He'd definately be good going from moody to soft gradually :D. for the mad woman Bertha, i thought Angelina Jolie would be perfect. u'd agree if u've seen her in Girl, Interrupted. she has this charm that draws u in, but up close can be deceiving. haven't figured out the others, but thats who i'd like to see cast; Jane: Drew Barrymore, Rochester: Johnny Depp, Bertha: Angelina Jolie

does anyone agree with my suggestion?
hmmm
I dunno... Have you guys seen North and South with Richard Armitage? Oh my goodness talk about dark and brooding and sexy lol! *removes crazy Fangirlisms* He was really good though I'm interested to see what he'd be like. Rochester had those wild mood swings which I think RA could make captivating. I still don't know whether Toby Stephens can be beaten however.

JE06 I don't know... your casting seems too... "Hollywood" for a Victorian romance. I'm definitely not denying those actors could play the roles (Johnny Depp happens to be my all-time favourite actor) but, well, I have a problem when Hollywood tries to do something like Jane Eyre which is just so English. I also love Ellen Page but I'm having trouble believing she'll be any good either.
over a year ago Echoes said…
Just thought I'd up-date this forum and mention that Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender where eventually picked to play the lead roles, with Judy Dench attached as Mrs. Fairfax...and it was a phenomanal adaptation :)