Japanese Maple Trees Japanese Golden Full Moon Maple Aereum

chargus posted on Apr 23, 2007 at 01:51AM
About 3 weeks ago I purchase a golden full moon maple tree from a local nursery at a significant cost. The tree is about 3.5 feet tall and the trunk is an inch in diameter. The tree was fully leafed out and new growth was present. A cold snap went through so I didn't plant it for about a week. Prior to planting I placed the tree in its container outside on the north side of the house and shielded it from direct sunlight and wind. I brought it indoors overnight. When tempatures were steadily in the 60-70's during the day and no cooler than 46 degrees at night I planted the tree. This was about 5 days ago. I prepared the bed the tree is in to contain a 50/50 mixture of potting soil, top soil and existing good soil. I have been careful not to overwater and did add root stimulator when I planted. My question is this. I have noticed new growth is dying and the existing mature leaves are starting to show a faint orange. Did I plant too early and if so, will the tree die if the leaves fall. Thank you for your answer. I love this little tree and would hate to lose it. I planted it when the nursery suggested. Please let me know what you think.

Japanese Maple Trees 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago MapleCollector said…
Aereum is beautiful but not very hardy, especially in too much Sun. Planting Aereum in hot weather is tricky as well, fall is best. Many times a new set of leaves will follow. It is important not to overwater your tree at this time. That is the number one mistake people make. Water regularly and place in the early morning Sun for 30-60 minutes a day. Pacific Coast Maples link and Eastwoods Nursery are good resources for growing Japanese maples. J.D. Vertrees book titled, Japanese Maples is an excellent Resource as well.