1. Lie down on your back somewhere where you are unobstructed
2. Completely relax all of your muscles. Let your arms and legs sink into the surface beneath them.
3. Close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. Regulate it with slow breaths in through your nose and hold for a second, and then slowly exhale out of your mouth.
4. Listen to your "mind chatter" for a moment. Are there a billion things running around in there?
5. One by one, let your thoughts go. Tell yourself you can take up those thoughts later on.
6. Try to clear your mind, especially of negative "mind chatter" and concentrate on your breathing.
7. Bring up a thought that makes you feel relaxed, such as floating on a lake on a warm summer's day with the sun beating down on you, and a gentle breeze blowing across you.
8. Think to yourself that you are perfectly calm and relaxed, totally healthy, and happy. Let your "mind chatter" focus on those thoughts and nothing else.
9. Continue the slow breathing... in through the nose, out through the mouth.