Stefan & Elena Opinion Article

L.J. Smith Got Fired from writing her own novels.

Opinion by Thedarkeststar posted over a year ago
Here’s an email my friend received from L.J. Smith.
“Hi Emily—

Thank you for your beautiful email. I completely understand why some fans get overeager—and especially if they think there is bad news for them. I hope that you will enjoy Midnight, as it is truly the story of Damon finding his deepest feelings for both Elena and Bonnie—and his feelings are definitely not platonic. In fact, to be blunt, without Bonnie and something that Bonnie does at the end, Damon would be permanently dead.

But right now I have to tell you something that makes me so sad and devastated—as bad, in fact, as I have ever felt except for when my mother died. It’s confidential, but it’s been so long now that I just can’t keep up a charade with good-hearted readers like you.

To put it briefly, I’ve been fired from writing the Vampire Diaries. And I’ve been fighting and fighting this since last fall, but there is absolutely no recourse. Midnight is the last L. J. Smith book in the Vampire Diaries series.

It probably sounds completely impossible to say that I am fired from writing my own books. But the truth is that they’re not mine, even though I write every word. When I was called by an agent and asked to write the vampire trilogy, that agent wasn’t from a publisher, but from what is now Alloy Entertainment, Ltd. And they are a book packager. A book packager sells books, already made with covers and all, to publishers, like HarperCollins—my publisher for The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle. And both these series were written “for hire” which means that the book packager owns the books the author produces. Although I didn’t even understand what “for hire” meant back in 1990, when I agreed to write books for them, I found out eventually, to my horror and dismay. It means that even though I have written the entire series, I don’t own anything about The Vampire Diaries. And from now on, the books will be written by an anonymous ghostwriter, just as Stefan’s Diaries are. It will say “Created by L. J. Smith” on the cover, but I am not allowed even to change a word in the ghostwriter’s book.

You might wonder why the book packager and Harper would do this to me. I am not sure either, but usually a book packager gets very submissive, non-assertive writers to write for them—not to mention that most of them, writers or ghostwriters, have had a lot of publishers turn their books down. Book packagers are used to do a lot of editing on their author’s books—because the books need intense editing.

But I’m not submissive, and I always fight editing. In Midnight, I had to fight to keep many Bonnie scenes in the book. I’m not at all sure they liked the things I was doing with Bonnie and Damon—they kept trying to cut such scenes. And of course they didn’t like Elena’s behavior at all. They want strictly Stelena books.

So last fall when I gave them the book Phantom, they didn’t bother to give me edits. Instead, I was given a letter addressed to the ghostwriter by name, telling her to completely rewrite my book. They wouldn’t even listen when I pleaded and promised to do Phantom as they required. The simply took the series and gave it to the ghostwriter . . . to write not only The Hunters trilogy, but whatever comes after that.

They have always tried to minimize my participation in The Vampire Diaries. On the very first original books in 1990 my name was almost invisible on the cover. And now they have my manuscript of Phantom, and the book the ghostwriter writes from it may even sound like I wrote it in places, because they have the right to use my work as they see fit. But the book after that … that will be pure ghostwriter. I would guess that they think you readers won’t see or care about the difference in writing styles and skills.

I have said this to another Bamon fan, and I’ll say it now. I had so many plans for Bonnie in The Hunters trilogy.
First of all, in Phantom, I had her showing a lot more emotion, grieving right along side Elena because—well, because Damon does something almost unbelievable for Bonnie in Midnight and he doesn’t get out unscathed.
I won’t spoil it if you don’t know. But they wanted Bonnie to have just put it all behind her—and with Bonnie’s character, I don’t think so! She is always completely openhearted with her emotions; even though she has matured so much in Midnight, she’s still Bonnie, who says exactly what she thinks, even if she hasn’t had a dose of Black Magic wine.

I wanted to write Moonsong, and give Bonnie an admirer who is just as sweet and even more naïve than she is—a pure white wolf with radiant blue eyes, who happens to be a werewolf with moonlight colored hair and the same blue eyes when he’s human. I wanted to show Damon’s surprising reaction to Xander the good werewolf (not at all happy about it—so much that he “accidentally” almost kills the poor innocent wolf) .

I also wanted to show how Damon rescues Bonnie from a vicious wolf-pack attack, and then let her fly away with him. And I wanted to show how Bonnie, who knows a little medicine from her sister Mary, helps Damon deliver Caroline’s twin babies when she goes into labor deep in the woods. But that’s one scene that I would have had to fight tooth and nail for, because even the glow that Damon and Bonnie share at seeing new life come into the world wouldn’t be enough for them to call it decent. They would undoubtedly have tried to make me cut it. But I still want to write it, so badly.

I even had the last book in that trilogy plotted out, where Stefan’s worst nightmare comes true and he takes so much blood from Elena that has to be taken to the hospital for a massive transfusion. He then decides to Influence Elena so hat she will forget his existence, and he does so, to Damon and Bonnie and Meredith’s consternation. I wanted to show how this affected each one of the characters, and how Bonnie once again begins to write in her diary, since Elena’s diary is also forgotten, along with Stefan. I like to write things from Bonnie’s point of view, as I did in Dark Reunion. But none of these things will happen, beause I won’t be around to write it. And I just can’t keep up the pretense any long with wonderful fans like you. I can’t pretend that Bonnie and Damon’s relationship will continue to grow as Damon learns to respect her as well as to love her. She has become “his girl” but I can’t follow up on that. I had to tell the ghostwriter that he would address Bonnie as “little redbird” when he speaks to her.

Sorry for the long rant, but the charade is over for me. I don’t know how Phantom will turn out, with a blend of my manuscript and the complete rewriting of it by the ghostwriter. But I dread it, and even more do I dread what the next books will be like. I’ve worked so hard to make Vampire Diaries a good series, only to have the unthinkable happen to me. And I have no one but myself to blame for not being submissive enough.

Lisa
L. J. Smith”

sorce: www.fanpop.com/spots/damon-and-bonnie/articles/94251/t...nts

bvale211 said:
What The Hell! Thats Jacked Up ! :(

rabya_1 said:
how is this possible

fcked up that is :-S

WTF! That is just wrong.

beccaxBLx said:
this is effing wrong! who cares if we end up with stelena or delena? L.J.Smith is one of my favorite authors. This totally sucks

sad
what the hell? This is sooo unfair... what's the point of being a writer if you can't write what you want in your books and how the hell can they FIRE her from her books! :( I am soo upset and am going to boycott the following books after Midnight.. because if it's not LJ's writing it's of no interest to me.

i am no longer reading phamton midnight is the end for me to.

Yeah, What is the effing point of being an author if you cant choose what happens??

fewasome said:
I have not read all the books but ive seen the whole series and love her writing I dont agree with what there doing and as a true fan I'll boycott the next books and you guys should do the same, well unless they gave LJ smith her job back wich by the way shes really good at

Tavril said:
oh..this is sucks

mischievous
Alloy entertainment, no one will buy your books anymore :) you guys r fcked up Assholes :)and if this happens to the show, i ain't gon' watch it :) NO ONE WILL. and it will be the end of YOU. HMMM :) aheehee. :">

sincerely,
Delena Fan <3

How do you write to her now? What is he valid email address? Can we, the fans, fight this? The Harry Potter fans found WB when they attempted to shut down all the HP fan sites like Mugglenet and such!

A group of dedicated hardcore fans should make a fan site and youtube videos/channel dedicated to spreading the word and fighting ALL of this! I can help with writing stuff if the site winds up being a blog and advertising/affiliation. This is horrible but we can fight this if we threaten a MASSIVE boycott! Contact me @ patiencemiller@yahoo.com

Thanks for spreading the word! This is atrocious!

This is completely insane, I am not going to buy any of the new books, they will be sh t, and I don't want them to get any money from anyone so that they will make money from HER books!!!!

That should be illegal anyway and someone should sue them!!

worried
There is one thing that she can do, she can publish the sequel to a different publisher.. people will just buy her books and not the stupid fake ones!!

VAMPIRE DIARIES WITH LJ SMITH ONLY!!

Niki39 said:
That's is so wrong..you are a beautiful writer i enjoyed reading every word..i will not be reading the new book's..I really hope you move on from this to something bigger and throw it back in their faces http://images.fanpop.com/images/emoticoons­/to­ngu­e.j­pg.­.Yo­u are a true artist..i can't wait to read whatever you will write next !!

I can't believe that this happened! L.J. is a beautiful author with plenty of talent and her following is international; why would the publishers interfere with her writing like that? It's wrong that they misled her like that in the beginning. I really do hope that she sues them or something because that is seriously wrong. Or she could like start up her own sort of publishing house or something radical, and she could self-publish without the worries of them. I don't know, I just hope that she can still write without having those vultures hanging over her shoulder. I'm in outrage!

This really suck! And I was looking soooo much forward to the next book - now i'm not even sure if i'm going to read it (I might, just to be able to critizise it) L.J. Smith is the true and only VD writer. But i wondered - and I must say, that i know absoloutly norhing about publishing and rights - if she could post her idea of the book as a fanfiction? If everybody else has a right to do that, doesn't she?

All the respect in the world for actually telling us what happened! - Even when it is so hard and so unfair! Not many would be able to do that, I think...

SHE GOT FIRED!

rachey96 said:
THAT IS SO UNFAIR!!!!! How the hell can you get fired from writing your own BLOODY BOOK??!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!­!!!­!!!­!

rachey96 said:
btw, i think 'lovascsaj26' has a point! she could go to a different publishing company! f*** the old one, like everyone says, 'Out with the old, In with the new'!!!

I'm am not reading the next books. Not uless L J Smith is writing them, they can go to hell! This is so unfair. If anyone's up for fighting it, I'm in! They can't not let her write the books. And they're HERS!

Jannna90 said:
That is just soo not funny and fucked up I bet it's a fake email.

megclegg said:
does anyone have an email address the this idiot company cause they will be getting a hell of a lot of complaints from me and im sure other fans!!!!!!!!!!! IM ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED!!!!!!!!!! L.J.Smith FOREVER!!!!!!!!! Also does that mean she isnt writing any more books at all?!?!?!?!?! Cause i cant live without her books at all, i ave tryes reading other vampire books and i just cant get into them!!!!!! I nees L.J.Smith!!!!!!!!!

sweetsima said:

drkngl said:
Unfortunately its not a fake email. You can go to her website and see for yourself. I just read it a couple hours ago and still can't believe it!

07ambryce said:
i just read PHANTOM it isnt a patch on the other books when damon calls bonnie little redbird it just doesnt sound right, it sounds forced and out of place. and its obvious that theyve tried to imitate ljs writing style and again it just doesnt seem right.

they can keep their stinkin books and do what they want with the tv series(which i do like) but...
I WANT LJ SMITH BACK!!!!!!!!

Sami365 said:
This is so stupid! How can they do tht to her? Someone has to do some! I refuse to read any more of the books if they dont let her start writting them again. WE NEED L.J. SMITH BACK!!! Poor L.J.

monkey
Hi Janna 90

No fake - Real Email.
Log on to l.j.smith.net to find out more.
Any Q's write a topic / comment with my name : sofia
And i will answer, so will others.
Theres Guestbook Guide to comment on.
And theres forum for all kinds of fun!
There is even a ask lj section, where u can ask Lisa Q. & she does reply. Yay!
No discussion of vampire diaries end game is allowed but u can write how u feel.

THANK U EMILY FOR POSTING THIS LETTER.

Hi ALL
Here are the links for an online petition AGAINST FIRING of L.J.SMITH.

twitition.com/hqnr9
petitiononline.com

Please Vote
sofia

Hi All

These are links to an online petition AGAINST THE FIRING OF L.G.SMITH - please vote, voice ur opinion
twitition.com/hqnr9
petitiononline.com/.../...

Lots Of Love Sofia

Hi

TO all who are suggesting Lisa self publish or use diffrent names for the Vampire Diaries Series.
I HAVE GOTTA STRESS - this is not possible.

The work of hire contract she signed, which she didnt know what it was - Legalizes that ALL THE VAMPIRE DIARIES CHARACTERS/NAMES belong to Awful Alloy - the book packager, they own the series.
Not Lisa - which means if she tried anything, she will be sued!

Hope that helps
Sofia

CONTINUED...

She is not happy about not writing the series - it cuts her but she is working on Strange Fate, the conclusion to the NIGHTWORLD series. My favourite.
She is also writing another under contract book briownys lullaby, renamed last lullaby which shows what happens, if in the Nightworld series the nightpeople win & human lose.
A world where dianosaurs rule AND human are food & girls things to use...
There is a section in her Nightworld Ultimate Guide book where an extract of Strange Fate is. Which will be re-written as briowny was meant to debut in Strange Fate but her story grew & she has her own book & challenges to face. THANK U SIMON & SCHUSTER FOR GIVING LISA ANOTHER BOOK TO WRITE.
LOVE YA.
There is also a longer story of Briowny & her 2 friends on Lisa's site under the storie tab.
Check it out!
Once you log in, u will never log out.
Becoming a vampire!
ha ha
sofia

I love L.J Smith she is the true writer of the vampire diaries books. She should have say in what to put in te books it's not fair that her true idea the vampire diaries were her idea she should be respected and get a say in what is put in the books no matter what. She should be able to write te books her way not some other person that is gonna make it more like the show they can't do that it's not fair to L.J Smith and HER FANS!!! This is her idea her series even if she doesn't own it this came from her heart soul and mind let her still be apart of it please

thehe said:
this made me cry.... im starting my own vampire story, id die if my own characters, my imagination and creativity were taken from me. this should go to court! seriously!

I know this is a year old, but I am gutted I did wonder what had happened int he phantom as it was the worst book at the time i had read. I hated the Stefan diaries and couldn't read more than a few pages. Even tho the books since Phantom have got a touch better they still have no where close to LJ Smith's writing ability and I am pleased book 11 has been cancelled. They put her name on the books though, i got book 10 in Nov and it says by LJ Smith. Something should be done the book people need suing.

Alright so I was just googling to see if there was going to be a book after destiny rising when i happened upon this!!! well i guess this explains the TERRIBLE ending!!! I'm a delena fan these days and woah what a frick'n disappointment
*****SPOILER ALERT********
****
*******
*****
*****
That They would make Damon just leave Damon is a lover AND a fighter and he would definitly fight for love. he would fight for elena not just leave her and with the bond they would have now would make it even harder for him to leave!!!!!! man!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yeah the stefan series was down right terrible and had nothing to do with the actual book series it was based off the show and poorly at that it was terribl and i hated it.

Delenaguy said:
No, she doesn't have the rights to VD \, but she did sign a contract! They cannot just fire her!!! This reminds me of when the military cut my stepdad and his comrades. The military broke the law. Now they are being sued. Alloy entertainment - wait, I wont even say their name- That company, broke the law too!

smirk
Delenaguy said:
oh and yes, I'm a guy that reads vampire diaries

rhee01 said:
I think If just L.J Smith continue the epic love story of Stefan & Elena she wont get fired, I think if he just change the story , that Stefan will stay and he wont allow Elena to erase him from her memories, while Damon will be happy with Bonnie then I think its a better story than he could ever imagine, but she wants to mess it up? Elena doesn't end with anyone of them?! what!? she'll stay alone forever and same as Stefan too? what kind of story is that? It wont satisfy the readers?

...But never the less Im sad because she got fired from her own story... :(

hey rhee01 she has fired because she wanted delena for endgame, she is a delena fan

Well I can see that this is an old article but I still felt the need to post a response. I am truly saddened by the fact that L.J. Smith has been fired, I don't know if this article has been confirmed or not. If she has, I am sorry for her. I haven't actually read the series yet, but I have seen the entire series on Netflix. From what I understand, there are people who do hire authors, and it's under contract. I'm not a hundred percent sure how it works. However, I can see that if they are unhappy with the current author of a famous series such as this one, that they'll do their best to remove the current author and put a ghostwriter instead. I don't see why L.J. Smith can't claim the Vampire Diaries as her own, since they're going to keep her name as the author of the series. If they weren't going to keep L.J. Smith as the author of the series, I could understand their reasoning for not letting her claim the work even though she wrote it. What fans don't understand is, authors don't make as much as everyone assumes. If they get promotions via advertisements, they may make something... or if their books become movies/tv series they'll make something but not as much as everyone might think. A lot goes into writing any book, there's an entire staff, unless you're publishing it yourself, in which case that'd be extremely expensive. But as I said, I'm sorry for L.J. Smith if this article is true. She has great talent.

I hope they know if this is true no one will read a new TVD book!!!!

This is old, but they were not her novels she was only contracted to write them based off Alloy the book packager wanted her to, she broke there contract by changing the ship so they fired her, that is fair, if she wanted to keep her job as a writer than she should have written what they wanted, the novels are Alloy's not her's. They didn't break contract by firing her, she broke it by changing the story they laid out for her to write, so they found someone who would write it how they wanted to. Vampire Dairies was always Alloy's property even before they hired a writer. Just like Pretty Litter Liars is owned by Alloy not Sara Shepard.