The 80s Opinion Article

You Know You Grew Up in the 80s If...

Opinion by sfdude posted over a year ago
The Goonies are good enough.
1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".

2. You watched the Pound Puppies.

3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Belair " ...and can do the "Carlton".

4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.

5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.

6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.

7. "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom.

8. Two words: Hammer Pants.

9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock ".

10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.

11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales ". (Woo ooh!)

12. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.

13. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles " on the big screen... and still know the turtles names.

15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.

17. You played the game "MASH ". (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)

18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.

19. L.A. Gear... need I say more.

20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM " in Kindergarten. (She's truly outrageous)

21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing " and all the Ramona books.

22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF".

23. You wanted to be a Goonie.

24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us... head-to-toe)

25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.

26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.

27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard.

28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.

29. You still get the urge to say "NOT " after every sentence.

30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.

31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.

32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup.

33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.

34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too)

35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"

36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.

38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.

39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.

40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.

41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.

42. You remember Popples.

43. "Don't worry, be happy"

44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.

45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family)

46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "

47. You remember boom boxes. and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.

48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.

49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!"

50. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales "

51. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.

52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.

53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB".

54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class.

55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.

56. You just sang those words to yourself.

57.You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.

58. Homemade Levi shorts. (the shorter the better)

59. You remember when mullets were cool!

60. You had a mullet!

61. You still sing "We are the World"

62. You tight rolled your jeans.

63. You owned a bannana clip.

64. You remember "Where's the Beef?"

65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?"

66. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.

67. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head,aren't you!

Omg..SKIP IT, BSC, Carebears, Stawberry shortcake...o the memories...

shot through the heart! haha!

i was such an 80s kid, who didn't want to be a goonie, ET always made me cry. I also wanted to grow up to be madonna, wow that is so sad.

goebygeez said:
I grew up mostly in the 90s and I remember alot of that stuff.

caintil31 said:
i was born in the 90s but i remember most of this. I've even done most of this.

Gypsy said:
These always make me smile. I think some of these ones are particular to the US but the amount of them I've done is still scary!

Oh man! Slap bracelets, Rainbow Brite and in my mind I was already a Goonie...Those were the days!

surlana said:
I remember the "Jellies" plastic shoes (which are back in style now) I remember leaving the house in one red one and one pink one by accident.

I had big hair AND a mullet! ugh! but who didnt?

Buslady said:
I'm laughing cos the first Ninja Turtles movie was not the 80's; but it came out March 1990. I'm still a fan since then, since high school.
I was born in '71; I got to remember everything 80's.

Jillyb85 said:
Completely forgot to mention John Hughes movies... Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller. I also began my love of John Cusack in the '80s

Oh man great stuff LOL remember all of that

eagle said:
I still had 8 track player and I would fold napkin to shim the 8track to get it to play. I was sad when the BellBottom pants went away but it was even trade for the funky two step dancing where you swign your arms sides to sides. Sex, Drugs and RocknRoll. I saw the movie Meta www.meta.kumafilms. Its kick back to the 80.

madeline3 said:
I had the jelly-shoes, that my mom would make me wear, with all my fluorescent color cloths. "It was Sad"

Ah, this brought it all back for me!

the fresh prince debuted in 1990 but great memories still

Some of these stuff were in the 90s.

But I definitely remember some of the kiddie stuff (Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, birthdays at McDonalds, Smurfs, "Don't Worry, Be Happy", Skip-It)

ahhh yes i am an 80's kid...i had and traded garbage pail kids...my best friend had the jelly shoes in many colors..i had always wanted a pair..i wore neon colors with ribbons in my hair..spandex biker shorts and the colorful stretchy pants..L.A. gear was the shit...i remember some classmates having the shoes with the two shoe tounges..high tops were cool. strawberry short cake,she-ra, my little ponies with accessories and barbie and the rockers...yes..i didnt have the jem dolls..was pissed, i LOOOOVED new kids on the block.(i loved you jordan)the old nickelodeon shows were and always will be the best(i loved finders keepers and fun house and double dare)rainbow brite was cool...

EYEZ-187 said:
BEING BORN IN 1981 WAS ACE COZ YOU GOT TO GROW UP WITH ALL THE COOL STUFF FO THE EIGHTIES. THE MUSIC, THE FILMS, THE CARTOONS ALL RULED. THERE IS SOMETHING STRANGE I HAVE NOTICED ABOUT SOME PEOPLE BORN IN THE 80'S HOWEVER. HOW CAN YOU BE RETARDED ENOUGH AND TOO LAME TOO HAVE NOT SEEN (AND BEEN AN ABSOLUTE HUGE FAN)OF THE GOONIES. WHAT WERE THESE PEOPLE DOING?? YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO LIVE IF YOU HAVE NEVER GONE "HEY, YOU GUYS" OR "SLOTH LOVE CHUNK"
THE 80'S RULED!!!!!!!
PEACE!!

numbers 2,17,21 but I had to in school,and a few more,but I wasn't born til the 90's

It seems like just yesterday. So many memories of all different things, events that has happened, etc... The best cartoons*toys*trading cards* having Strawberry Shortcake, Cabbage Patch Kids, Wacky Pack Trading Cards, etc.. My collection of Rubber braceletts, Charm Necklaces, Neon/glow in the dark stuff seemed to grow, nothing can or ever will be like the 80's that was a true one of a kind decade and I am pround to have been apart of the 80's

smbbms said: