The Fanfic Olivia Marsden- Short Story

lovespercy posted on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:05PM
This is a short story CHARACTER ANALYSIS about Olivia (a fictional character) and a portion of her life.
This is a school assignment and I liked how it was starting out, so I decided to share it! Some things won't flow because that is the format we were supposed to be writing in. The main idea of the assignment was to tell about a character.
It isn't going to be extremly detailed, like my usual work, so this is new for me. There are going to be very few chapters (from 2-6). Again: this is a SHORT STORY--- A CHARACTER ANALYSIS!!!

Enjoy!

Olivia Marsden came from a broken up family. Mommy and Dad divorced when Olivia was 7 years old. Olivia didn’t mind too much, Dad had never loved her. Now it was just mommy and her ‘favorite girl, Olivia’.

The next months were the happiest in Olivia’s life. Mommy was the only person that loved Olivia, and mommy was the only person who Olivia loved.

A few months after the divorce was final, mommy got sick. The doctors said she had cancer. No one offered to help Olivia and her mother during that time.

Olivia wasn’t old enough to keep the house and yard in shape, she was only 8 years old, and mommy was usually too sick to get out of bed.

Dad didn’t help either. He was a drunkard and didn’t care about them anymore. No neighbors offered to cook meals, or clean for them. They left them alone. Olivia and mommy were on their own.

Each week, Olivia watched mommy grow weaker and weaker. When mommy lost her beautiful silky brown hair, they both cried together. But that was the only time she saw mommy cry that whole year.

She fought the cancer for a year, then mommy died. Right before mommy died she had told Olivia: “You are a special girl. Know that I always love you. Though I may seem far away, I’m always with you.”

After mommy’s funeral, Aunt Lucy moved in to take care of Olivia. Olivia didn’t like Aunt Lucy, she also hadn’t done anything to help mommy, her own sister. Aunt Lucy didn’t care about Olivia either. Olivia would spend nights crying, asking for her mommy back. Aunt Lucy never bothered to hear her.

Olivia is an extremely intelligent and clever girl, a genius actually. She loves any subject and is a genius at all of them, most particularly science. She may as well have already graduated from the highest college in the world, she was so smart.

The only other person that knew she was so smart was mommy, but now mommy was gone. But mommy didn’t want to tell anyone because she was afraid they would take Olivia away from her. Now that mommy was gone, Olivia didn’t want to show anyone her intelligence either. She was too angry with the world to offer it any good.

After the sorrow over mommy being gone, a new feeling arose in Olivia. Hatred. Olivia had never hated anyone or anything before this. It was a new feeling. A welcome feeling. It helped her cope with the loss of mommy.
She hated the world for taking mommy away from her. She hated her neighbors for doing nothing for her when they were in desperate need of help. She hated her dad for leaving her and her mother and for not even coming to the funeral. She hated Aunt Lucy for not helping her own sister, and for distancing herself from Olivia, when she needed someone to love her.

And she was mad at her mommy for leaving her here alone, for promising her that she would always be with her, and for lying about it. . . Olivia couldn't quite bring herself to say she hated mommy for that, just that she was mad for it.
last edited on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:16PM

The Fanfic 14 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago GoddessDemeter said…
crying
Neat post soon really sad
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago pink-bookworm said…
Awesome and really sad.
over a year ago icuSTALKER said…
Sad.
over a year ago lovespercy said…
Olivia is a timid person both in public and in private. She is very reserved and doesn’t like to open up to strangers. Because of her shy nature, Olivia doesn’t have a single friend. Everyone at school takes her for granted. She is invisible to them. She is invisible to everyone, except mommy. Mommy told Olivia that she would never be alone. People at school assumed that Olivia wanted to be left alone, wanted to melt in with her surroundings, but Olivia didn’t want it like that. They would never have guessed the boiling feelings under her surface. Their avoidance caused deep feelings of hate, though she always did a good job masking her true feelings.

Olivia took pleasure in discovering new things and solving equations. The human anatomy fascinated her. Often she would stay up late simply discovering how diseases worked in the human body. That is the only pleasure that she found in life. She found no joy in family; for she had none. She had no fun with friends; she didn’t have friends at all. School gave no excitement; she already knew the material by heart. The only joy she found in life was discovering new things.

Since Olivia has no one that loves her, she has poor self-esteem. She already was a shy girl to begin with, but this added to it. Therefore she walks around with slumped shoulders with her back slouched. In order to avoid eye contact she walks with her head down. This helps her blend in with her surroundings. Her timid-ness is the perfect disguise for Olivia’s deeply rooted hatred.

She wants everyone to suffer for letting mommy die, and feel the pain that she feels. While she is camouflaged, people don’t notice her off to the side, secretly glaring and them and wallowing in her hatred.

She walks with a certain stealth and grace. This adds to her camouflage. Her walk ensures that she calls no attention to herself. People may observe she walks delicately because of her shy nature, but her walk also has certain strength, the strength of her dangerous and stealthy hate.

Olivia has a strange habit of writing down equations on her homework assignments. She also keeps her hands in her pockets. This may be to soothe the ache of her hands that builds up from her constantly writing.

Olivia’s voice is rarely heard or used. She only speaks in school when she is called on. At home, she utters but few words to Aunt Lucy. When her voice is heard, it is a sweet soft sound. It is pleasing to the ear with a barely detectable cry to it. This suggests her shy personality even more, further disguising the hate deep within her.

She dresses in a way that won’t call attention to her. Not too pretty, neat, or attractive, and not sloppy or dirty to draw the attention of others. In every way, Olivia makes an effort to hide in with her surroundings. No one notices her, just like when her mom was alive. They ignored them back then, and they are doing the same again.

Then, when Olivia turned 12 years old, things started to change for Olivia. There was a new girl, Kesha, who moved in. Kesha isn’t like anyone else. She seemed to be the only one, besides mommy, who seemed to notice that Olivia existed. It started out with Kesha saying a simple ‘hi.’ Then Kesha started to walk with Olivia home. Kesha was very talkative, and she seemed to like Olivia very much. It wasn’t long until Olivia and Kesha became best friends. It was Olivia’s first friend. Having a friend was even better than she thought it would be. For the first time in her life, she had someone her age to play with, giggle with, and share secrets with. Olivia could be herself, a part of her she had never discovered till now, when she was around Kesha. They told each other everything.

A year later they were just as good as friends as ever. One afternoon Olivia was talking about mommy and the good days they had, with just the two of them. She talked of how no one had helped them out during the time of momma’s sickness, not even offered words of encouragement. Kesha asked her when she was going to finally forgive them and to abandon the hate she had for them.
When Olivia went home that night, she realized that her hatred was just a way to avoid the pain of Momma’s death. If she could blame someone for the death, then somehow it made it easier to deal with. Instead of feeling sorrow she replaced it with anger. The anger was a crutch. She decided with determination to somehow get over the pain of her mother’s death. Somehow she would forgive them, though she knew it wouldn’t be easy.

For years Olivia struggled with her feelings. She was torn between knowing she should forgive them and how horrible they were to her and her mother. She struggled with this even up until college. Olivia was more than happy to leave Aunt Lucy miles away. Kesha and Olivia were roommates and were having the time of their life in their freshman year. Kesha felt weak for a week, and so Olivia suggested she go in for a doctors checkup. When Kesha broke the news to Olivia that she had developed cancer, the world slipped from Olivia’s feet. She was devastated. Why was the world so willing to take all the people she loved away from her? Kesha was her only family now, and now they wanted to take her away too? She wouldn’t let it happen.
Omg that's so sad almost cried when I read the end of it but brilliant chapter.
over a year ago MisterPerfect1 said…
angelic
This story sounds a little personal. :-/

I wonder if it's ever happened to you in real life? Or something somewhat like this?

Not to sound nosy or anything.
last edited over a year ago
haha ^ no, I haven't gone through anything near to this. It is totally not even close to my life story. That is just my writing style. I like to write dramatic.
over a year ago icuSTALKER said…
That's so sad. And I like to write dramatic sometimes too.
I like writing dramatic thigs to and I can tell you this now a lot of y stories have a dramatic bit in them at least one stage.
yeah. this isn't as dramatic as i usually go . .. but it is still kind of sad (for me at least)
crying
I am crying so hard inside because it is so sad liby loo is with so i dont want to cry out loud my sissy the time theif has a friend who has cancer :(
oh that is so sad ^ I'm so sorry. cancer is terrible.
My friends in my class used to have a best friend with cancer who died towards the end of last year and I actually knew her to.
crying
Thats ^sad