The West Wing The Canadian Connection(s)

le_sheriff posted on Apr 03, 2009 at 11:06PM
The West Wing was phenomenally popular in Canada - more so than it was in the States (we like things more liberal than the Americans do). As the series progressed, and it's popularity continued to increase in Canada, the writers included more & more Canadian references in their stories.

In this thread I hope to document chronologically the Canadian 'content' of this series.

For now I leave with this: at least two of the pivotal guest actors were Canadians. Should you guess correctly I will confirm? Otherwise, I'll be answering this question when I get to those episodes.
last edited on Apr 07, 2009 at 02:26AM

The West Wing 32 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago le_sheriff said…
Season one, episode 15: 'Celestial Navigation'

Leo: They called him (judge Mendoza) in Nova Scotia?
Josh: They have telephones in Nova Scotia. It's not Amish country.

Leo: He's driving from Nova Scotia to Washington? How does a person do that?
Sam: My guess is he'll take the Trans-Canada Highway to New Brunswick then take the 1, catch the scenic route along Maine ...
last edited over a year ago
Season two, episode 1: 'In the Shadow of Two Gunmen part 1'

Danny: The President's under anesthesia ...Without the 25th, who's in charge? ... You just named six people. Who's in charge?
C. J.: The Canadians. You understand I'm talking about the hockey team.
froms season 2, episode 4 'In This White House'

Jedd: Hard as you might try, The Republican Party isn't going away.

Leo: We don't know that for sure, they could all end up moving to Vancouver.
from season 2, episode 5: 'And It's Surely to their Credit'

Jedd: Would you like to wipe that smile off your face before I send you on special assignment to the Yukon?
from season 2, episode 18: '17 People'

Jedd: An Algerian-born terrorist named Reda Nessam was arrested at the Canadian border yesterday ...
Oops - I got it wrong

from season 2, episode 19: 'Bad Moon Rising'

Oliver Platt makes his first (of many) appearance on the West Wing as Oliver Babish.

I was wrong when I suggested in the first post that there were two Canadian actors in pivital 'guest' roles. I had included Oliver Platt in that statement but he's not a Canadian ...

From Wikipedia: link

Platt was born in Windsor, Ontario, Canada to American parents ...
from season 2, episode 21: '18th & Potomac'

re: the overthrow of the elected Haitian government ...

Leo: We're communicating through back channels.
Jedd: Who are we using?
Leo: The Canadian ambassador, Dominican intelligence.
from season 3, episode 2: 'Manchester part 1'

Jedd: (still talking about the upheaval in Haiti) Nancy, Peter, get a message to the Canadian prime minister. We intend to restore Dessalini. The Canadians should tell Bazan if he doesn't move out, we're willing to move forward with military options.
from season 3, episode 1: 'Isaac and Ishmael'

special agent Ron Butterfield: Five hours ago, Khuram Sharif was taken into custody while crossing from Ontario into Vermont.
from season 3, episode 4: "Ways and Means"

There's a cold front moving in down from Alberta with a 50 percent chance of showers.
from season 3, episode 8: 'The Indians in the Lobby'

Josh: Cutler had to cancel so he could see northwestern border state governors to discuss porous borders between the U.S. and Canada.

C.J.: Mark have a good Thanksgiving.
Mark (a reporter): I'm Canadian.
C.J.: Yours is in April.
Mark: October.
from season 3, episode 15: 'Hartsfield's Landing'

Donna: They're not voting for us ... because instead of protecting American jobs, we're letting Canadian imports take their market share ...
Josh: All right. If Canada's making cheaper pulp, then New Hampshire has to diversify.

Donna: They're not wild about the Canadian thing but their real problem is the tax policy ...
from season 3, episode 16: 'Dead Irish Writers'

Donna: I was born in Warroad, Minnesota, only I wasn't cause INS just clarified the border and it's now in Manitoba...
I'm very upset! I don't know my national anthem. I've been throwing out Canadian pennies my whole life. I've been making fun of the queen. We don't do that!
Amy: Canadian, hunh? You feel funnier?
Donna: No but I am developping a massive inferiority complex.

And of course, the episode concludes with the raising of Canadian flags to an extended orchestrated rendition of 'Oh Canada'.
from season 3, episode 18: 'Stirred'

Hoynes: I can't get next to hockey... Scoring in hockey seems to come out of nowhere. The play by play guy is always shocked. "LePetier passes to Huckenchuck, who skates past the blue line. Huckenchuck, of course, was traded from Winnipeg for a case of Labatts after sitting out last season with ... Oh my God, he scores!"
from season 3, episode 19: 'Enemies foreign and Domestic'

Josh: They confronted the Russian atomic energy minister with the photographs (and) he denied everything.
Jedd: That's good enought for me.
Josh: He doesn't deny that they're building a reactor. They've had contracts with Iran since '76 and he says that deuterium based reactors have been up and running in Canada for years.
Jedd: Yea, well, Canada, Russia, roughly the same relationship with the U.S.
from season 4, episode 2: 'College Kids'

C.J.: Barenaked Ladies helping out in the delivery room of American democracy, The Commonwealth of Massachussetts.

(Barenaked Ladies is a Canadian Band - from Toronto.)
over a year ago rgee67 said…
from Season 4, episode 3: 'The Red Mass'

The President, C.J., and Sam are discussing the number of debates, while a CFL (Canadian Football League) game plays on TV - Calgary Stampeders vs. Edmonton Eskimos.

Well done le_sherriff... looks like you've stopped posting, so I'll take it from here! rgee67
rgee67, you Canadian too? eh?

I wouldn't have caught that (C.F.L.) connection.

Am rewatching the series, currently into season 5. I might just start taking notes and when you've brought this thread up to date, I might just resume adding chronologically appropriate Canadian content.

And thanks for your imput.
over a year ago rgee67 said…
You bet - originally from Edmonton, living in the USA now. The West Wing is one of our favorite shows - we bought the box set and are working our way through for the 2nd time now. It's even better the second time!

from Season 4, episode 18: 'Privateers'

Discussing an incident involving a glacier melting in Alaska, Josh tells Leo: "We have an agreement with Canada and Russia for mutual assistance in arctic airborne rescue..." Later, Leo gets an update on the emergency efforts: "Canada's delivering the Pavehawks within the hour."

I'll keep adding as we get through Season 4, and when I catch up to you, let's see if we can catch them all through the end of the series.
Can't wait any longer ... if there are other Canadian connections that I missed, they will just have to be out of chronological order.

from season 5, episode 12 "Slow News Day Political Misstep"

Toby: This may just be the break we need.
Jed: To save social security?
Toby: To save social security. Yes sir.
Jed: This is right after we colonize Ontario.
from season 5, episode 13 "The Warfare of Ginghis Khan"

Bartlett: I guess Joni Mitchell was right. We are stardust.

** Joni Mitchell was born in Alberta and raised in Saskatchewan. She's one of us.
from season 5, episode 18 "Talking Points"

Leo: National programming bother you?

Ben (C.J.'s current beau): No, I spent my entire carreer in Moose Jaw. I get my news fron CNN.
from season 5, episode 21 "Gaza"

C.J.: Say you're from Minnesota and you'd like prescription drugs from Canada. Minnesota just set up an official website linking to Canadian pharmacies for the importation of cheap drugs, in violation of federal law.
(and later, during a frenzied Press Room question period about the bombing in Gaza...)
Gordon: Does the White House have a comment on today's FDA warning on safety violations at Canadian internet pharmacies?
season 6, episode 3 "Third-Day Story"

C.J.: England, Iceland, Spain, Canada have all pledged troops for peace keeping. D.o.D. called me from the car. ...
Hey, Does Canada even have troups? What do they do, throw little bottles of maple syrup?
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 1)

There are Sooo many references to Canada (about 25% of all storylines) in this episode, that I've divided them into parts.

Hunting & Wildlife Guy (HWG): ... Unless you want an update on the Canadian situation.
Commander Harper: Right, Canada. Go on.
HWG: You know the tensions along the 49th parallel have been growing.
Harper: What's their beef?
HWG: Good one. Yes our ban on live Canadian exports is a catalist but I wouldn't reduce this to a simple mad cow conflict.
Harper: I'll avoid that.
HWG: Hostilities escalated dramatically at the start of the snow goose hunting season. Certain Canadian ranchers posted no trespassing signs on wooded property.
Harper: Canadian property?
HWG: Yes, but where their Montana neigbours have been hunting quarry for generations.
Harper: Are you from the Interior?
HWG: Hunting and Wildlife, Mam. While an American party was setting up decoys for the Great Snow White, Canadians surrounded them & pinned them down. It's unclear whether the Americans are under siege or been taken hostage.
Military Guy (MG): Hostage?
HWG: That's affirmative.
Harper: And local law enforcement can't ...
HWG: Before local law enforcement could respond, one of the hunters, a retired Montana state trooper, call in back-up on his cell. Off duty officers responded to the scene. They infiltrated the 20 yard swath demarking the border.
Harper: Have shots been fired?
HWG: Yes but geese were in the air at the time.
Harper: (to MG) Do we even have a map of Canada?
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 2)

Bailey: I hear you're the point man on the Saskatchewan excursion.
Harper: You sure you have the clearance to discuss this?
Bailey: The Vice-President is on his way to Atlanta but he wanted me to weigh in. He has an interest in the situation...
Harper: He's a snow gooser?
Bailey: More a stalker of the black bear. Owns a cabin north of Chinok. Hunts with the governer of Montana as a mater of fact. They spoke today.
Harper: And he'd like to see this resolved bloodlessly?
Bailey: Actually he's more concerned we not back down, that we not appear weak in any way.
Harper: We?
Bailey: The United States.
Harper: There's no 'we' in this. It's fifteen drunks in camo vests.
Bailey: The V.P. advocates a hard line.
Harper: Permanent lock-out of the N.H.L.? Maple syrup embargo? Turning off Niagara Falls?
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 3)

Harper: What's this?
Military Man (MM): 'Operation Northern Lights'. It's a working title.
Harper: You want to infiltrate Canada with CIA operatives posing as ranchers.
MM: Standard procedure in a hostage situation on foreign soil. Assess the threat level.
Harper: Before the insertion/extraction phase.
MM: Yes mam.
Harper: What were you thinking? Blackhawks or helo drops?
MM.: I could get get them both out. Defcom-1 out of Fort Braggs, then the other...
Harper: Stop!
Hunting & Wildlife Guy: The ranchers are making statements on Canadian television.
Harper: Don't give this to anyone, including me.
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 4)

Facteau (voice on the phone): The Prime Miinister wishes to emphasize the unofficial nature of the ranchers' declaration of war on the United States.
Harper: Thank you for that.
Facteau: You have seen their demands on Canadian television?
Harper: We have.
Hunting & Wildlife Guy (HWG): Security officers at Waterton Glacier National Park are on ready response. Some voluntary reinforcements may be crossing over through Peace Park.
Harper: We are concerned about reports of escalation: an effigy burning in Alberta?
Fardeau: A response to your governor of Montana.
Military Man (MM): He mentioned calling in the national guards.
Fardeau: He refered to a contingency plan to invade Canada.
Harper: That's absurd! there is no U.S. contingency plan to ... (MM indicates otherwise) We trust that local officials will resolve this very soon.
Fardeau: We'll be in touch. (hangs up)
MM: Would you like to be briefed?
Harper: (sighs) Other developments?
HWG: A sawmill in Climax is pilling on.
Harper: Is Climax us or them?
WHG: Them. They're demanding President Bartlet drops tarrifs on softwood lumber. And a meat packing plant in Lodgepole - us - they're offering free coffee to all Americans on their way to the front.
Harper: Could we at least not call it the front?
HWG: The Royal Canadians have arrived but they're at a disadvantage.
Harper: How so?
M.M.: Mounties standard issue is a Smith & Weston 9 mm.
Harper: And the hunters are packing 12 gauge shot guns? And?
M.M.: A couple of Barrett .50 calliber snippers, HK carbin fiber assault riffle and infrared night gogles.
HWG: (giggles)
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 5)

Kate Harper: I need the mural room for a meeting.
Margaret: Is it Canada? Ok, maybe I'm overly sensitive these days but mother's Canadian you know. Dad hails from upstate so there's always been a north - south tug of war for us kids. Today's events - these are the things that pull families apart, pits brother against brother.
Kate: So can I have the room?
Margaret: All yours. Give peace a chance.
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 6)

Canadian Ambasador (CA): Thank you for seeing me. I know you've had a long day.
Harper: Will said you had something on your mind.
CA: As Canadian Ambasador I am pleased to report all is quiet on the western front.
Harper: Though still unresolved.
CA: And when I spoke with the Vice-President ...
Harper: You called the Vice-President?
Bailey: The Vice-President called the Ambasador.
CA: I've had some unofficial conversations. You understand I'm not at liberty to speak officially.
Harper: What are we talking about?
CA: You'll have to excuse my, uh ... I haven't had much practice at this kind of intrigue.
Bailey: We all learn by doing.
CA: Our two countries are close and historic friends. Yes, of course there are areas where we differ - bovin sponge foam is one.
Bailey: And lumber tariffs.
Harper: And mail order prescription drugs.
Bailey: And U.S. global military presence.
CA: But on the whole, friends. If you would trust me I could prevail on the premier of the province to exert pressure on his citizens and allow the Americans free passage across the border.
Bailey: That would be swell.
CA: Of course that would create some ... expectations.
Harper: Expectations?
Bailey: The Ambasador suggested if there was some flexibility on the U.S. appeal of NAFTA's lumber appeal.
Harper: Guys, The United States does not make trade decisions based on the action of amped-up cowboys...
Bailey: Unless they've been elected to office.
CA: I understand you can't negotiate with me directly, but if you see the possibility of an openness to consider my proposal, you could signal the same by ... crossing your legs.
Bailey: Or uncrossing them and crossing them. Just to be sure.
Harper: Ambasador, listen carefully. An hour ago, I revived the United States contingency plan to invade your country.
Bailey: There's a contingency plan?
Harper: 1789, amended in 1815. The calligraphy is beautiful. And if one more 'deal' is floated in this room, I'm going to ask DOD to reactivate it.
from season 6, episode 17 "A Good Day" (part 7)

Harper: Is this true?
Military Man (MM): We have officer Horn at the site confirming it now.
Harper: An American helicopter entered Canadian air space without a flight plan and emergency landed in a field half a klick from the stand-off?
Horn (on speaker phone): Yes mam.
Harper: This was a UH-1H helicopter?
Horn: Yes mam.
Harper: A Huey?
MM: They make civilian aircrafts too - we have deniability.
Harper: I don't want deniability. I want absolute assurance that this was not a part of a military action on our part.
MM: I can't vouch for Black Ops.
Harper: OK. Enough! This is stopping now. The problem is not a few rowdy outlaws from a bygone era blowing off testosterone. The problem is us. We're still the Wild Bunch. The higher it goes, the hotter the risk. I just threatened the Canadian ambasador. Someone on the ground has a ... OK. Officer are you still there?
Horn: I am.
Harper: Who is the ranking officer on the scene?
Horn: The Grassland Eco-region director.
Harper: Does he or she have access to a bullhorn?
Horn: It could be arranged.
Harper: Ok. What if... It's just past midnight Mountain Time. Announce the end of hunting season.
Hunting & Wildlife Guy (HWG): That's not 'till next week.
Harper: It just changed. Ended at midnight. And anyone of any nationality discharging a firearm will be subject to immediate and permanent loss of their hunting license.
Horn: That could work.
HWG: These guys don't fool around with their license.
Harper: Give it a shot.
COMMENTARY:

Thus ended this long season 7 Canadian connection storyline. Though it was obviously intended as humour, it also damaged a lot of characters' credibility.

You may not care about the Canadian Ambasador being portrayed as a boob, or the Canadian people as a whole, or the simple U.S. interference in what is obviously a strictly Canadian affairs, but I wasn't laughing at these faux-pas. Not from a series I had a great deal of respect.

Of the regular characters, only Harper comes off as somewhat reasonable (though why she didn't stop this ballooning fiasco earlier is nothing more than badly abused poetic license).

Bailey may have developped into a buffon since his earlier days (choosing to work for the V.P., breaking windows with the rubber ball, falling off chairs, having difficulty walking through doors, badly hiding his affair with Kate Harper), however, in this episode, he was portrayed as an idiot with no moral compass - at all.

Margaret's bit was way off too - even for her.

And that Hunting and Wildlife guy, the V.P., the governor of Montana - all demonstrated tremendous stupidity.

I expected better from the writers of this series.