Update 11/21: WE HAVE A GRAND PRIZE WINNER AND 4 RUNNER UPS!
**Grand Prize** IcelandGirl812
Across the table
Dark topaz eyes burn into
Deep chocolate ones
**Runner Up** HarryPotterFan
cradled in your perfect arms,
still not enough time.
**Runner Up** funnyshawna
There's rain on the roof
The sun locked behind the clouds
Her perfect daylight
**Runner Up** katlynncore
We sit face-to-face.
Both breathing. One heart dancing.
Closer and closer.
**Runner Up** DARKSARCASM
Angst, romance, sparkly vampires
Oh, the poor judges.
Thank you to EVERYONE who participated. There were so many great haiku to choose from. It was very difficult for the judges. Hopefully we'll be able to do this again when the next Twilight film comes out!
Update 11/10: Due to overwhelming participation, we're adding some additional prizes and will select 6 winners (1 grand prize winner and 5 runner up winners). See below for details.
Ok Twilighters. With the impending release of the Twilight movie, it's time for a little contest. We did a poetry contest last year for The Office and that seemed to work well, so let's see if it translates to the high-minded world of Twilight as well.
Now this is a Haiku contest, so in order to participate you will need to submit a poem that conforms to the structure of a haiku (and preferably one that focuses on the first book/movie).
Harold, one of our Fanpop users already provided an excellent definition in a prior contest he ran, so I'm going to quote him here:
"In case anyone does not remember how haiku works, here's a quick primer. In English, it's simple: a line with five syllables, then a line of seven syllables, then a last line of five syllables. No other structure is necessary."
Here is a sample from me (not eligible for the contest - and quite terrible)
Threat Level Midnight
Someone sabotage paper
Scarn, you must save us!
(this was from a prior Office haiku contest)
Ok, now the nitty-gritty:
The Grand Prize (one winner!)
* Twilight Illustrated Movie Companion Book
* Twilight Soundtrack (CD)
* Twilight One Sheet (apparently a collector's item)
* Twilight Paperback (admittedly you all have read this!)
Runner-up Winners (4)
* $10 iTunes Gift Certificate
* Poems must be original works written by the entrant
* To submit a poem for consideration, it must be posted in the comments of this soapbox (don't post them in a separate forum or pm me)
* You may submit multiple poems
* Poems must be submitted by the contest deadline. The deadline for submissions is: November 20th at 11:59pm, Pacific Standard Time
* Poems must not violate our Terms of Service (please nothing obscene). As always, we reserve the right to remove or disqualify any submissions due to ToS violations
* Winner will be selected by a panel of "literate" judges.
* Fanpop reserves the right to modify or amend the rules to this contest as necessary
Your masterpieces will be judged on a number of factors. Here are some important ones to be aware of:
1. Form: You need to follow the basic form of the poem type (if your Homeric epic, don't expect to win)
3. Humor (the judges sometimes like humor)
That's it. Now let's see if you can whip up some poetic masterpieces in advance of the movie!