Writing Fanpop Writer's Group 2009: Session 4 (Critiques!)

chel1395 posted on Jul 20, 2009 at 05:13PM
If you don't know what the Fanpop Writer's Group is, you can refer to link. You may read the previous session link.

Deadlines
This session is now closed. Critiquing begins!

All critique of the writing should be submitted here before 00:00 Fanpop time on 3 August 2009.

Prompts
You are encouraged to submit any of your writing to the Fanpop Writer's Group session for review, comment and feedback. If, however, you don't have something you're ready to submit and are bereft of quick ideas, you can write something to one of these prompts.

* Non-fiction prompt: Write about a time in your life when you were truly afraid.

* Technique prompt: Write a story from the perspective of an animal. Use foreshadowing to drops hints about the plot and what may come in the near future.

* Poetry prompt: Write an elegy about someone who has died. If you find it too personal to write about someone you know, feel free to write on a famous person who has affected your life in some way.

* Story prompt: Write a story that begins with the line "The clock was broken, so no one knew what time it was."
last edited on Jul 28, 2009 at 06:29AM

Writing 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Spotty_Vision21 said…
I went with the story prompt. Meant to post last night but mozilla was acting up.

-----

The clock was broken, so no one knew what time it was.

Not that it changed a thing. They sat there, alone, shivering in the cold. The dark room seemed to grow smaller every day.

The clock was broken and so was their last attachment to the real world.

They were not sure of where they were, who was keeping them there, why they were there, how they were taken. Now they didn't even know when.

The clock was broken and so was the answer to one of their questions.

Hannah was the loud one, not content to lay still. After a while she began to quiver, shivering despite her heavy grey sweater.

The clock was broken and so was Hannah.

Randall was the angry one. He punched and thrashed, trying to escape the room. Now his knuckles were bloody and he didn't move.

The clock was broken and so was Randall.

Tina was the sad one. She spent the beginning, sobbing. Now her eyes stared ahead blankly, unseeing.

The clock was broken and so was Tina.

Oliver was the hopeful one. He constantly talked of escape and leaving. Now his lips stayed closed, silent.

The clock was broken and so was Oliver.

They lay in the mysterious room together, not knowing when or why. The silence was constant, movement rare. The dark room grew smaller every day.

The clock was broken and so were they.

One by one they drifted away, into a darker world. First Hannah, then Randall, then Tina, and then Oliver.

-----
What is it with me and horror fiction?
over a year ago liissaaxx said…
Non-fiction prompt

It was dark outside, no movement but the sway of trees. The safety of my front door was just across the road. To me, it was safe and all I wanted to do was leave the room where the movie was still playing. But then again, the darkness of the night stared threatening and shivers ran through my young body.

As I stood behind the wire screen debating on what to do, the voices of my sister and her friend yelled out to me.
"There are people out there you know. Scary people, that want to harm you," They said. It frightened me crazy, I stepped away from the door, hiding myself from the searching eyes and curled in a ball on my spot on the crouch. I could hear them laughing beside me and the sounds from the movie drifted to my ears, scaring me all over again. They were laughing at me. I couldn't help but be scared, the film was a scary movie. I didn't know why I agreed to watch it. I was seven years old and they were eleven and all I wanted to do was be like them. Cool, older, brave. But that idea was backfiring fast. Tears began to drip down my cheeks as more girl victims saw the creepy man with the white mask and screams left their lips before the knife penetrated their hearts. I couldn't stand it any longer. A loud ear splitting scream came from me and then I was being directed across the road and into my house, I found my mum and cried in her arms. Both girls went back to the film.

For the following months I couldn't walk the house alone, I needed someones hand in mind. Simple noises that came from the house made me jump and quiver in fright. I thought some murderous man was hiding in every closet and camouflaging into every room filled with darkness. It was a time when I was truly afraid.
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
"The clock was broken, so no one knew what time it was."

We coughed and spluttered still, that clock hadn't worked since the second time we reconstructed the thing. We all made sure to incorporate William's little syncing batteries in to our watches though.

I wonder what had gone wrong this time around. Time for the usual check up. I was in charge of that for his this mission.

"Will?" I asked, getting to my feet. "Yeah, I'm here...whatever *cough*" I pulled my device from my pocket and checked him off, as well as myself. "Juliet?"

Nothing. "Juliet?" Will shouted out too. "JULIET?"

Nothing.

"JULI-"

"Yeah, I'm here, shut up."

I felt a strange wrenching in my stomach and disposed of my stomach contents from my mouth. That happened often with this, I remember Will yammering on about temporal displacement or something along those lines.

We met up by the machine, as we usually did. I asked Will what had gone wrong, and he muttered something about me inputting the wrong trajectory details. Which, I may have done, his algorithms and things are sometimes hard to track and remember. Juliet set about on maintenance to fix it.

We were within the machine’s cloak, so no-one could see what we were doing. I recalled a close call back when Maya was still around when the cloak had been disabled by a fault and I had a lot of explaining to do.

Juliet emerged a moment later with her little machine that fixed the bigger one and informed us it was now working just fine. Will was the only one who didn’t always carry a little device on him, he somehow kept it all in his head.

With the absence of Maya, I’d taken lead of the “team”, so prepared for my second ever “leadership” speech ever.

“Right guys. We’re currently in…" I glanced at my watch “1950. Everyone has their vital information?”

They both nodded. We had information stored within our heads or devices in order to know who was prime minister, king or other certain important things of the time we were in.

“This is where Maya travelled to in the old machine, we’ve beaten her here, so should see her appear moments later to save her from dying within this timeline.”

“But won’t-“ Juliet spoke up.

“Yes, Juliet I know. The whole paradox thing. We wouldn’t have come back if she hadn’t been killed, so we wouldn’t have come here to save her, thus causing a paradox. I know. I know", but we have to hope it works.”

As I walked to the road to await Maya’s known arrival, I saw a brilliant flash of light, and another machine that looked far superior to ours arrived close by. Two men in identical blue outfits grabbed Will and Juliet, and I gave chase. One withdrew a weapon, and fired it at me. It’s odd shaped bullet sailed by me, and hit in to the chest of a woman behind me.

“…Maya?”

I turned to see her there, as she slumped to the ground. Juliet and Will shouted out, as the blue men’s machine went off where it came from. I knew this would happen, but it still shocked me.

I quickly withdrew the antidote needle from my jacket, and injected Maya as I had practiced, and her eyes sprung open.

“Maya, no time to explain. Take my hand, we have to save those two.”

Maya got up, staggering and we clambered back in to the machine and I set the controls for February 20th 2070. This is what I had known was coming and had been practicing for for many years. We’d save the whole team, and take him down.

I breathed in and then pressed the button as we began our descent in to madness.
over a year ago chel1395 said…
I'm sorry I haven't participated this week, especially in my own prompt. I've been sick all week and am just now recovering. Everybody's stuff sounds great and I'll definitely be participating in the critique stage. I just feel like death right now. :(
over a year ago Spotty_Vision21 said…
Reviews
-------
I was going to write these yesterday but I fell asleep. So now that I'm semi-awake and at the computer, here are some short reviews for the two other stories.
---------
liissaaxx
---------
First off, I noticed some minor grammatical and spelling errors. Watch your run-ons!

You could've split it into more paragraphs and drawn it out a little more, too.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it, however. Other than a few minor problems, it does give a very good description of what happened, especially through a small child's viewpoint.
------------
PkmnTrainerJ
------------
I'm intruiged. Where are they from? Where are they going? What is their main mission?

It's a little hard to follow. Maybe slow it down a bit. Very good, though.
over a year ago pixie09 said…
big smile
i know im not a part of the whole writers group thing, but can i still comment ??
if not too bad, just dont read it haha :p

spotty_vision21
ok, i loved it to be honest. i knew just enough with out getting lost, and there was also enough mystery to keep it interesting. the whole repetitive thing is always effective and i loved the way you killed off the stereotypes haha :p

liissaaxx
i really liked how you described everything and the reminiscing perspective that you used, you drew me into the story and by the end i was feeling sorry for the kid :p .. the only thing, and this is probably just for me, but it might have been spaced out more, like broken into more paragraphs or something, it is just easier to read that way

PkmnTrainerJ
the first time i read this, i didn't really get it, but i read it again, and after i read it the second time i realized what was going on and the ideas are great, the only thing with me was that i found it a bit confusing at first. i think it might have been the unfamiliar characters, so again, it might just be me :p
over a year ago harold said…
There's no special list of people that can only participate in the writer's group: anyone can take part! So welcome, and thank you.

I was remiss this week (and last!), but I will still post some critiques after the fact. I feel everyone deserves feedback for their writing, even if it's late, particularly when I enjoyed reading it so much.