Animal Rights Are my beliefs right?

18wanda posted on Feb 22, 2009 at 04:28AM
I am a big animal lover even if I am not a vegetarian. I truly beleive that it is all right to eat meat for survival. Every animal does that, and humans really are animals. We are no different. I don't believe in killing for sport, or for fur. That is cruel. Do you think I am a real animal lover? I want to know because this is what I truly believe in.

Animal Rights 12 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago emisa123 said…
Yes. You do need some sort of protein to survive. I love animals but I do eat meat. As long as your not one of thoose people that go "I love animals...grilled, baked, and fried" You can eat meat whenever you want.

Go Animals!
over a year ago TheAmazingVegan said…
smile
Lots of people love animals, but what they really mean is they love certain species of animals over others. Many people differentiate between animals they have come to believe are "food" animals (it's okay to kill them) and those they view as cute and cuddly, like some wild animals and domesticated pet animals (we protect and are kind to those.) How is it okay ethically to treat some animal species with high regard and prevent them from cruelty, yet others are sentenced to die and are enslaved all their lives to give milk, eggs or be fattened up to be meat slabs? Which species do you pet or protect from abuse, and which do you eat, and why ? It's all perception and not about survival. You eat what you've learned to eat by family and culture. An example is that some cultures eat cats and dogs and yet we in the U.S. are horrified by that. Culture, not necessity, dictates what people find acceptable or necessary to eat.

If you investigate it further you will learn that humans don't need to kill other animals to survive, so we aren't like the carnivores. Therefore, meat eating, in this age, is a choice. Going to the supermarket and choosing to buy animal products is not the same as being forced to eat something to survive, so it isn't a survival issue any more. We can learn recipes and make whatever foods we want to eat, learn about nutrition and find ways to meet our nutritional needs through a plant based diet. Humans can be whatever we want to be and we can survive and thrive on vegetarian or vegan diets. Therefore, I conclude, that meat eating is no longer necessary for survival and is eaten by choice, neglecting or shutting out all the cruelty to animals that goes on in the farming and slaughterhouse practices. I hope this information helps. Best wishes to you.
over a year ago 18wanda said…
We aren't carnivores, but it is for survival. That is true.
over a year ago jalicefan15 said…
I also love animals and eat meat
over a year ago bubbles4u22 said…
smile
You are TOTALLY an animal lover! I, too feel strongly for animals and think they should be treated fairly and I eat meat. There is nothing wrong with that.
over a year ago Mistyflower said…
its just sad.
over a year ago 18wanda said…
Yeah. I will ty to be a vegetarian eventually. I have already graduated to soy nuggets. They are actually pretty tasty.
over a year ago K5-HOWL said…
- Animals Are Not Ours to Eat
Animals on factory farms are treated like meat, milk, and egg machines. Chickens have their sensitive beaks seared off with a hot blade, and male cattle and pigs are castrated without any painkillers. All farmed chickens, turkeys, and pigs spend their brief lives in dark and crowded warehouses, many of them so cramped that they can't even turn around or spread a single wing. They are mired in their own waste, and the stench of ammonia fills the air. Animals raised for food are bred and drugged to grow as large as possible as quickly as possible—many are so heavy that they become crippled under their own weight and die within inches of their water supply.

Animals on factory farms do not see the sun or get a breath of fresh air until they are prodded and crammed onto trucks for a nightmarish ride to the slaughterhouse, often through weather extremes and always without food or water. Many die during transport, and others are too sick or weak to walk off the truck after they reach the slaughterhouse. The animals who survive this hellish ordeal are hung upside-down and their throats are slit, often while they're completely conscious. Many are still alive while they are skinned, hacked into pieces, or scalded in the defeathering tanks. Learn more about the factory-farming industry. By switching to a vegetarian diet, you can save more than 100 animals a year from this misery.

One suggestion: If you plan to make the transition to a vegetarian diet gradually, the most important foods to cut out of your diet first are bird flesh and eggs. While many people think that “red meat” and dairy products should be the first to go, this isn’t the case. By cutting bird flesh from your diet, you’ll save many more animals. Because chickens are so small, the average meat-eater is responsible for the deaths of many more chickens than cows. Plus, chickens and turkeys exploited by the meat and egg industries are the most abused animals commonly used for food.

ummmmm nuts have protein in them and what TheAmazingVegan said
over a year ago thespikedturtle said…
I'm a vegetarian, and I believe eating meat to be wrong. Even though it apparently goes agains the Bible, I believe we need to respect God's creations. But this isn't about religion!

You do love animals. You don't believe in hunting for fun, for furs, and I believe you dog-sled, am I correct? It's obvious you care for animals a lot, and becoming a vegetarian seems like a good path for you. If you want some good advice on becoming one, come to the vegetarian spot, we have some good advice for that there.
over a year ago Mistyflower said…
angelic
I respect all animals! I thank God for my meat and I thank the animal for giving its life to feed me every time I eat meat! Animals rule, even if I do eat meat!
over a year ago glelsey said…
smile
I honestly think it's best to go with your own instinct.

Sometimes, people argue whether or not we are meant to eat meat, but I personally don't think that's even important. The fact is, we're evolved enough to know how to live with or without it. So no matter what we're "meant" to do, the point remains that we have a choice.

I mean, technically we're meant to catch prey with our bare hands (without tools) and eat it raw. Other animals don't use fire or tools, and they certainly don't own farms. Likewise, we've come up with lots of vegetarian alternatives. We're smart enough to know how to live whichever lifestyle we prefer, so - unless you have a medical condition that means you must eat meat, or cannot eat meat - the choice really is yours!

I do find it hypocritical, however, when people claim to be animal lovers yet they are very antivegetarian. Perhaps they're just being defensive, because I'll admit I've known certain vegetarians to be preachy too. But when meat eating animal lovers attack the non-preachy vegetarians it just gets silly!

I think it's equally important for vegetarians to be respectful of veganism. Again, I'm aware that certain vegans are preachy towards vegetarians, but if you really are an animal lover then surely you would at the very least respect their lifestyle?

To be fair, I've not seen much antivegetarianism or antiveganism on this spot at all, so I'm not trying to lecture anyone here! But I do see it come up in various animal rights discussions sometimes. Even if some animal lovers aren't necessarily for vegetarianism, it doesn't mean they have to be against it.

Do what's best for you and go with your own beliefs. I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not your beliefs are "right", because chances are there will always be someone who completely agrees with you and someone else who completely disagrees. Just focus on doing what feels right for you personally, and you can't go far wrong. :)

(For the records, I am a vegetarian.)
over a year ago xgirl98 said…
i really love animals and i do feel bad that i eat certain ones but its how i was raised