English Language Spelling question: All right

TweenaCat posted on Aug 08, 2007 at 05:51PM
My English teacher goes ballistic if anyone spells alright with one "l" and I just wanted to know how many people on here would agree with her. I think it's all right (?) either way.

My argument for that is that in Jane Austen books (or whatever) things are spelt differently, like chuse instead of choose or ancle instead of ankle or stile instead of style (as in style of writing) and that was correct then but over time language changed, and now our spellings are correct, so why don't we keep changing the language rather than holding it back for pedants?

But if anyone has a different opinion please explain it.

English Language 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago michael said…
I guess it would depend on where (and when?) you live. In the West Coast of the United States (perhaps the whole U.S. and maybe the rest of the English speaking world, but I can only comment about the West Coast), the use of "alright" is acceptable and is about as common as the phrase "all right". According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "alright" has been in use since 1887 but arguments still occur between the two factions.
over a year ago TweenaCat said…
Wow, 1887. That adds a whole new dimension to my argument!
Thanks for replying, I didn't think anyone would write back so fast!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago harold said…
To me there's a difference in connotation, or at least flavor, between the two uses:

"All right" suggests that everything is well and good.

"alright" is synonymous with "OK" (which is to say, "acceptable").

Here's an example usage:

If your flat mate asked you to pick up around the common room, you'd say "alright" to communicate agreement, but no particular enthusiasm, as you started to clean up. When your team wins at the cup finals, you'd say "All right!" in triumph.

For me, they're pretty distinct uses, and the spelling depends on the context/usage.
last edited over a year ago