FanFiction.net Writers Block?

campluv98 posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 01:53AM
How doYOU get past writers block? I was just wondering b/c if I post a "Work-In-Progress" story then I ussually NEVER update it,and then I have to delete it and I HATE doing that.So pls,pls,pls help me w/this problem,thanks.It's all greatly appriciated

FanFiction.net 9 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago TaintedDreamz said…
To stop you from having writers block, the best thing is to always carry around a notebook, if you get ideas jot them down straight away so you don't forget them later. Also, don't just write your chapters out in a sequence one after the other, if you want something to happen sometime in your story write it down, you can always work the chapters order out later ^___^
Also an idea is if you are writing a chapter, leave it unfinished, you can write the plot out, but then you will have something to write when you come back later.
over a year ago campluv98 said…
thank you.that is good advice=)
over a year ago LilysLittleTwin said…
I've dealt with this problem recently (really recently, like...today), and (purely by coincedence, really) I read some fanfiction LIKE the one I'm writing, and poof, I'm back writing. It works.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago MrsSiriusB said…
Yep, like "LilysLittleTwin" said, read lots and lots of fanfics. I'm not saying copy their ideas, but sometimes, while reading someone's works, a idea pops into your mind. I'm a strictly one-shot and drabble writer, so the Harry Potter Fanfiction Challenges Forum in my cure to writer's block. There's idea rampaging all over the place over there. xD
over a year ago shenelopefan said…
I´m up for the carrying a notebook for writting ideas on! I also think you shouldn´t post a foc until you know really well where are you goin
over a year ago Immortal42 said…
These are all good points, but they barely halp with my problems. Because it's not ideas that I have a problem with; I tend to get stuck on dialogue.
over a year ago EppofangirlXD said…
big smile
^then...get help from a beta-reader?
over a year ago TheDevilsDuches said…
Music. Listen to a song that reminds you of your story. That's my biggest help.

Second for me is if I watch a new episode of whatever I'm writing about and BAM I'm back

Or reading fanfic, but sometimes you just have to wait for it to pass
over a year ago peacebaby7 said…
Some good tips here. I would add possibly either writing out the complete story before publishing, or at least have a general outline subject to change. Definitely bring a pencil and paper around with you.