Fanpop Users Cinders needs a hug

Cinders posted on Dec 18, 2009 at 11:09AM
It's been three and a half years since my last overseas flight. I used to be a master at this, really, I did. I could do twenty-four hours, thirty-six travel time, no problem. I had a few delays, some long layovers at 3:00AM (either local time or my biological time), and I managed.

I am freaking out. This is my first flight overseas in three and a half years and I was already dreading it. I'd gotten used to the quick, six-hour flights to DC. I'd gotten spoiled. So a ten hour flight to Paris, with a four hour layover, and a three hour flight to Tunis did not appeal to me. But I figured I could handle it.

My first flight was delayed on account of snow in Paris. But that wasn't so bad, because of my four hour layover. The lady at the check-in was convinced everything would be fine, and she convinced me. So I decided not to sleep at all on the ten hour flight to Paris and then again on my way to Tunis, to beat the jetlag. That was an OK plan-- we landed at 10:00, which was basically 1:00AM, and I've stayed up that late before. Time to drink a lot of coffee and goof off until noon.

That would have been swell, except my flight to Tunis was canceled.

I stayed positive. My dad said there was an afternoon flight, so I figured a few more hours wouldn't hurt. I asked the lady at the desk to help me out and she did. She put me on another flight-- eleven hours from now.

I cried. Seriously, in public, and it was embarrassing. But I feel better because as I was typing this, two girls ran up to the kiosk I'm sitting by and asked (in French) if they'd missed their flight and they had. And then one of them started crying. So I guess it happens a lot.

Regardless, it's noon now (I've been wandering around moping for the last two hours) and I am just counting down until takeoff at nine o'clock and I am really, really tired. On top of that, Charles De Gaulle has arm rests between all of their seats, which just made me give out another sob.

On the plus side, they have thirty minute massages. That may pass the time. Thank god I have money on my debit card.

Fanpop Users 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago em_em said…
*HUGS*
I hope Paris is worth all of the horrible airport-ness when you get there!!
Grrr at the snow and the delays.
over a year ago heeeresjoyce said…
Oh, this sounds un-fun. *hugs* I hope that Paris is worth all the trouble.
over a year ago Free_Spirit said…
smile
*hugs* oh thats unlucky. The funny thing is, something like that has hapened to my mum and my brother but it was a bit harder. My brother flew up to sydney for athletics competition, anyway so he tore his tendon there and so him and mum decided to come home, while they were at teh airport they got chinese food, and my brother endedup getting food poisening, and then their flight ended up getting delayed till 9 o clock at night when their flight was 10 o clock that morning.

So i guess it happens to everyone. Oh well hugs should cheer you up.
*HUGS AGAIN*