So here it is. Another of my once every few month articles, because I'm bored of waiting for the next series of Thrones to air! This is a good one though (hopefully): My top ten predictions of who will ultimately win, come the end of the TV show. So here are my 10 most likely and why:
1) Jon Snow: The heir to the Iron Throne. He's returned from the dead and seems to be destined to sit on the Iron Throne. He's also the Show's hero figure. It would go against the grain if this was not to be.
2) Sansa Stark: She would be more keen to rule than Jon and would be a good and just ruler. She would have lots of backing and with a possible marriage to a Baratheon (Gendry) and a likely Daenerys death, would surely have the strength to seize the throne if Jon did not want to rule.
3) No one. If King's Landing is destroyed and all claimants either scattered or killed (including the Night King), Dany's vision of a desolate, cold and empty throne room could come true.
4) Tyrion Lannister: Though he wouldn't be as universally loved as a few on this list, he would make a good king and certainly has the savvy to attain the position if he gets the opportunity. It's not particularly likely though, if more likely candidates survive.
5) The Night King: He is certainly the villain of the piece, though it remains doubtful as to whether or not his aim is to rule, or to just wipe out those he deems responsible for creating him. If (as is more likely) it is the latter, he will not want to rule and may well be wiped out by his enemies anyway.
6) Gendry Baratheon: Other than Jon Snow, he has as good a claim as anyone to the Throne. Whether he would gain enough support ahead of other contenders, want to capture it, or survive to capture it is another matter entirely. Another Baratheon on the Throne does have a nice ring to it though.
7) Daenerys Targaryen: The most mighty of the contenders - both in terms of force and ferocity (other than the Night King). But said Night King and his army may well be on a collision course with her - not to mention the Starks, once they know of Jon Snow's lineage. I think it's unlikely she'll survive.
8) Euron Greyjoy: If Cersei dies, then he's in the best position to capture the Iron Throne. Quite likely he'd soon find himself beseiged by his many enemies and the Night King though. I think he has the guile to survive the series, bu most likely won't be ruling by the end of it.
9) Bran Stark: The real heir to Winterfell may be an unlikely candidate, primarily because it may well be up to him to defeat Night King first. Who knows - if all else perish and the Children of the Forest put him on the Throne, I'm sure all would work out fine. More likely he'll end up becoming King of another kind though, if fan theories are to be believed.
10) The Iron Bank: There are theories which suggest that the politics in Game of Thrones has all been engineered by the Iron Bank, in order to have the most profitable monarch (or dynasty) on the throne. There have been suggestions that perhaps the likes of Littlefinger and Varys were / are agents sent by the Iron Bank. They were sent in order to start conflicts and meddle in affairs, to the Bank's advantage. It seems far fetched, but it is noticeable how the Iron Bank is still figuring in some of the show's prominent storylines...
Who has no chance of winning?:
Cersei Lannister, Melisandre, Theon Greyjoy (killed).
Arya Stark, Yara Greyjoy, Jaime Lannister (not strong enough / do not want to rule / may die).