Lost Charlotte and "This Place is Death"

marissa posted on Feb 16, 2009 at 01:45AM
*Spoilers*

In This Place is Death Charlotte died.
(Am I the only person who was sad that she died?)
Now, although in Lost we often see dead characters come back as ghosts, visions, or in flashbacks, but it's rare that we see a dead character actually come back to life. (...If you don't count Christian... and possibly Claire.)

However, I think our very own red-headed-scientist-loving-anthropologist­, Miss Lewis, may be okay.
Here's why: remember when she was muttering while she was "time travelling"? Well, she said something about her mom not liking her marrying an American.
Immediately, I think of Daniel. I was positive she's be fine, because she was actually travelling to the furture, not the past, and was marrying Daniel.

But then... she died.
There goes my theory, right?
Maybe not.

Daniel was very adiment was he was talking to Sawyer that you cannot change the past.
But then he realized Desmond was "special". Now that he's lost someone important I think he'll finally get upset enough to pull a Jack on us and say "forget logic -- I need to fix this!"
And my guess is Desmond (and possibly Mrs. Hawkings) is his answer.

Also, notice that they didn't spend too long on Charlotte's "death". Personally, if a main character was going to be killed off for good, I think they'd spend a little more time with it, maybe letting us watch Daniel greive a little bit more or something.
I mean, remember when Boone died with Jack and the whole "I'm letting you off the hook"? Or Charlie's very sweet, very sad death? Eko's epic monster-death? Sayid carrying Shannon's body back to the beach? Heck, it took, like, three episodes for Libby and Ana Lucia'a deaths to be done! But Charlotte got less then thirty seconds after she died?
Maybe it was just for time, or maybe it was because people don't really like Charlotte, but...

I still think that she ends up marrying Dan :)
Charladay FTW!

Anyways, what was up with Charlotte telling Jin that Sun couldn't come back?
That's another reason I think she travelled to the furture: she saw what happened when the O6 (or Sun, at least) got back to the Island. And it wasn't good.
So this raises the question: should they actually go back?
Are they just the "sacrfices the Island demands"?

But why would Ben want them back if bad things happened? Does he not know? Does he not care what happens to them?
And why did Locke give Ben Jin's wedding ring? He pomised he wouldn't go see Sun... did he lie? Or did she come to him?

Anyways, my hu-mungo rant is done, and the moral of the story is:
I hope Charlotte's okay!
(Even if I'm the only person who likes her, but I'm used to it -- I was the only one who liked Ana Lucia, too! :P)
last edited on Feb 16, 2009 at 01:50AM

Lost 12 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago courtney7488 said…
You are definitely not the only one who likes Charlotte... she's one of my favorite characters! I cried when she died. I love how optimistic you are, because I would love to see her survive/come back to life. I think that Daniel is gonna do his best to travel back in time and prevent her from coming back to the island.

Like you, when she mentioned marrying an American, I immediately thought of Daniel. Charlotte marrying Dan would be the ultimate happy ending for me, but since this is Lost, I am not that optimistic. I think that she is dead for good, but I will happily eat my words if I am proven wrong.

Regarding the amount of time spent on Charlotte's death: there were only one or two scenes after she died. We're not done with her death; the next episode could completely revolve around her death. Don't forget that Dan still has to tell the rest of the group that she died, and Miles will most likely have some sort of emotional reaction (even if he seems to mean, they were friends). Of course, there is always the aforementioned possibility of Dan traveling back in time to see her. To make a long story short: this is not the last we'll hear of Charlotte.

Let's just say that, if Charlotte does survive, I will jump for joy.
over a year ago marissa said…
You're right, Courtney, I guess I didn't think it would carry over into the next episode, but it would make sense if it did.

And yay! Charlotte love! (And I love your icon, btw!)

It would be really sweet to see Miles upset that she died, too :)

*crosses fingers that she'll be okay*
Well, we saw Miles react to Naomi's death- if I remember correctly, he sat next to her and prayed. He's spent more time with Charlotte, so it would be a little weird if he didn't show any emotion over Charlotte's death. I can even kind of see Juliet and Sawyer showing some emotion, too, based on how they've reacted whenever Charlotte passed out. But one thing is for sure: Dan is not gonna forget Charlotte any time soon.
crying
Very true.
My hope: if she is dead for good, we at least get a "Izzie/Denny ghost scene" with them!
(Because we didn't get one with Charlie and Claire!)
I hope so, too. Dan expressed his love for her, but she never really got the chance to say how she felt about him. Maybe she will get to do so in a vision or something.
over a year ago Earthgirl13 said…
Maybe she was talking of someone else when she said that thing about marrying Americans. I think Charlotte will probably come back though. I just can't see them killing her off so quick. Of course Ben doesn't care. I think Locke told Ben what to do with the ring but Ben isn't listening.
over a year ago alismouha said…
sad
Sorry Guys sorry ,marissa sorry ,Earthgirl13 sorry ,courtney7488
But I don't think Charlotte is gonna survive for an extremely simple reason....Camera angle.
That's right camera angle when Charlotte died the camera went far and far that means that she is probably *Dead*
over a year ago Earthgirl13 said…
Why does that mean that she's dead?
Well, I hope we at least get a flashback of Dan talking to young Charlotte while she was living on the Island as a kid. That'd be pretty freaky, eh?
over a year ago saturnine15 said…
I realized last night that when charlotte says that daniel warned her as a child not to return to the island that it was one of the "new" memories. Daniel will probably go back in time a try to warn her...but it apparently doesnt work.
over a year ago Giovanni_wasto said…
"Also, notice that they didn't spend too long on Charlotte's "death". Personally, if a main character was going to be killed off for good, I think they'd spend a little more time with it, maybe letting us watch Daniel greive a little bit more or something."

To give just a few names, Rousseau, Nicki, Paulo, half the others (who, combined, constitute a main character), Michael etc...

And don't forget, it would surely be a much cleverer plot device to lure us into thinking she was dead using a dragged out death sequence and THEN revive her. Also, when Jin 'died' my eardrums were nearly pierced by Sun, they made such a big deal out of it. And then he didn't even die. So I don't think 'how much did they make of their death' is much of a factor when it comes to determining whether they'll come back to life or not.
You guys are slowly but surely convincing my that Charlotte is gone, but I have one more desperate theory I'm clinging to:

Charlotte told Jin not to let them bring Sun back. How would she know Sun couldn't come back if she didn't see it in the future? How can she have a future if she's really dead?

*Spoilers for "316"*
Now, we see Kate, Jack, and Hurley on the Island with Jin, so we know they're back in the "normal" loop with the others.
It could be that Sun (and Sayid and Ben) are somehow in a different loop, one where Charlotte is still alive (maybe even as a young girl) and that's when she saw something bad happen to Sun. Maybe she just remembered it as she was dying.

Buuuut, I'm still hoping she somehoe makes it and ends up marrying Daniel. (Can't we just get one happy love story??)