The Host Anyone Else Consider This?

fanpire101 posted on Jun 19, 2008 at 01:04AM
so most ppl would vote for wanda over mel, because well wanda is awesome and also has a great character and story to tell, but you can't really choose one over the other because you don't know as much about mel, you never hear her perspective, unless in wanda's head which isn't much and she is also not her full self because she is trapped inside. so what would the real answer be if we heard more from mel when she was her real self. does anyone else have thoughts on this

The Host 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago kitticat2 said…
I would have to go with Mel then. Like in Twilight, many people started freaking out when they heard SM was going to change perspectives and not write in Bella's after Breaking Dawn. Usually, people feel loyal to the protaganist of whatever story they read.

So, I believe if The Host had been in Melanie's point of view, we would love her more than Wanda.
over a year ago timbitzk said…
That's a good question. And that's a very valid point kitticat, I would probably agree with it.
But the bigger question is: if we had heard mainly Mel's POV instead of Wanda's, would we love Ian or Jared? (haha)
over a year ago kttykatkate said…
Both ideas are really interesting. I think I agree that usually the strongest affection is for the person narrating since we of course empathize most with the narrator and understand them best. As for whether Ian or Jared would be more appealing... I think that by the end, Mel would have had us at least liking Ian because of what he was/is to Wanda, but Jared would probably seem better. My guess is that it would be kinda like that scene with Ian and Wanda/Mel where he kisses them for the first time and later says that one day, she'll wonder what she ever saw in Jared to which Mel replies "In your dreams" (meaning for Mel, Ian could never be as remarkable and appealing as Jared)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago JIS4LOSER said…
well i love Wanda but i mean we saw (read) enought of Mel's memories and i dont think we need a Host book in Mels perspective... dont get me wrong i like Mel i got to know more about her as the book went on and she kept showing Wanda her memories so im ok the way it is... but i would like to see a Host sequel with Wanda and Ian and... Mel will be herself in there and you can get to know her much better if there was one well thats my point of view
over a year ago twilightfan22 said…
i agree i cant choose because i dont really knoe mel and i love them both so i dont get why some people love wanada so much they havent been inside mels head
over a year ago ragga said…
I agree.
If it saw from Mels POV we would definitively like her the best. And we would probably like Jared better than Ian as well.
over a year ago MelanieStryder said…
I already liked mel the best, i dont know, i just felt the most sympathy for her, I like wanda, but i like mel more