Twilight Movie Wow! The movie was horrible!

kjfrncs posted on Nov 22, 2008 at 12:01AM
I have to say that I'm more then disappointed in how the movie turned out. I'm a die-hard fan of the books and have even made a mission of getting all my gal-friends hooked on them too. They're that good! But the film was a huge disappointment. The acting was so bad! I felt like I was back in high school listening to my monotone English prof.... not a stick of emotion to the acting... and that's from a book so full of emotion it had me laughing, crying, and on the edge of my seat at all times.
I took a friend with me to the advanced showing of the movie - she hadn't read the books yet- and now she never will.
Even more sad is the fact that the script didn't stay true to the book. It skipped, in my opinion all the key points of the book that made it great for me. I don't see how anyone can like it unless they're just there to view the eye-candy and not pay attention to the actual movie.
I know the movie will make tons at the box office b/c we all fell in love with the book and want to see the screen version. So it's no doubt that tons of money will be made. However, I think at least 80-90% of the people will refuse to go to see the sequel b/c they walked out of the this movie wishing they didn't waste their time nor their money and just stayed at home with the book.
So disappointed.
save

Twilight Movie 40 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago kjfrncs said…
At least some of the characters were hot. Emmett was amazingly gorgeous! Alice was beautiful. And Victoria was gorgeous - but Rachelle Lafevre is always phenomenal.
over a year ago twilightchristi said…
I am a huge fan of the books! Love them! Saw the movie today and it sucked!!! It was totally out of order and they took too much out. Where is the love story? I am so disappointed. If they make another movie they are going to have to improve alot. I can't believe how much they butchered the movie. I knew I was going to be disappointed but I am beyond worlds. A friend of mine just read the book and I told her about the movie and she said she would not go see it now after I told her what they did! It's so sad!
The worst part for me right now is that I'm in the middle of the partial draft of Midnight Sun. I was loving it. Then I saw the movie. Now I'm trying to finish reading it but I'm not enjoying it b/c I'm picturing all the extremely bad monotone acting in my head! The movie is ruining my love of the books and it's sooo not fair!
over a year ago Cascalia said…
I completely agree. Every single thing you said in there is true. All of it, every bit. And I feel like my image of Edward has been shattered. It's strange though, cause he was like a beakon (sp) of hope to those like Bella and myself who are just a little different and just a little more clumsy or less pretty than the next girl, and seeing him in theaters all failish was just... I want to cry. T-T
Yeah, I hear you there. I think every single girl who read the books thought of Edward as her version of the perfect man for her. I know I did. And the movie did shatter it. It took me a while to accept the image of Robert Pattison as Edward - as he's not my particular mental picture of Edward - but by the time I went to see the movie I thought he was a good pick visual wise for the character. Then her brutally butchered the character and the film in total butchered the book. Honestly I am wondering if the director didn't ask him to act like that. I mean, he wasn't that bad in Harry Potter. Thought it was a minor role he did play it much better. In any event, I didn't sleep well last night after the movie b/c it upset me that this world and character I had really admired had fallen to pieces. Stephenie Meyer wrote his character so beautifully!
over a year ago wildgossip77 said…
I thought the movie was amazing. I thought Edward in the movie was different but I thought he still was a good Edward.
over a year ago Heidi42 said…
I actually just got back from watching it and i really liked it. There were a lot of parts they didnt have in it but i still liked the movie.
over a year ago Brittany333 said…
Are you guys seriously dissing this movie? If you're a die hard fan you'd like it no matter how bad it sucked. I for one thought it was awsome, it made me laugh, yes there were little things that seemed out of place but it was great. Ive seen it twice and i'm planning on seeing it more. If you love the books then you love anything positive about them, and if you hated the movie so much why are you a fan of this subject on fanpop. you guys are major downers.
over a year ago ohhai said…
I have to agree, I was completely dissapointed with this movie. I knew from the start it wouldn't be nearly as good as the book, and tried my best not to get my hopes up. But even with my expectations as low as I could manage, I was stil left majorly dissappointed. I left at the end of the movie almost angry.
The thing that bothers me most is that there was so much potential for this movie, the story is so great, it is heartbreaking to see how they butchered it. I think that anyone who hasn't read the series that goes to see this movie will be turned off of reading the books, and that's really sad.
I think that Robert, as far as looks went, was perfect for the part. He may not have been the picture of Edward that we all created from the book, but he fit the general description pretty well. The acting however, not so much. Edward was supposed to be smooth and charming and dazzling, but instead he was awkward and his scenes were mostly overacted. I really don't think that Kristen did a very good job of Bella either, she too was very awkward. There was little to no chemestry between the two and I think that is what ruined the movie for me. This was supposed to be a love story, and the movie sent it out as if it was just a crush, with some complications.
There was not enough building up to their relationship, They were just awkward and hateful one day in biology and in love the next week.
I found myself laughing at this movie a lot, but not in places that were supposed to be funny.
The rest of the cast was okay, I wished to see more of the Cullens, though. There were so many scenes that were left out, it seemed like they did some scenes right on, perfectly matched to the book, but they were all little scenes that meant nothing to the plot, and then they completely screwed up the important parts.
I think the most brutally destroyed scene was when Edward showed Bella what happened in the sunlight. That was such a great part in the book, and then in the movie nothing that happened in that clearing was right. On top of that, he looked like he was wearing body glitter.
To Brittany33, I have to say, I dissagree with you entirely. If you enjoyed this movie that's fine, it's all a matter of opinion, But I don't beleive a Twilight fan should like this movie just because it was Twilight. As much as I wanted to like this movie, it let me down. To be completely honest, I think it was an insult to Stephenies story.
They better step it up in the next movies.
over a year ago luvrofedward said…
ive heard from people that its either really super bad, or it was like..amazing! haha, well personally i thought it was alrite..
there were really cheezy effects, and there were some cheezy lines (but i considered this and some of the lines in the book are really cheezy but you never realize it cuz its in a book and when people say it outloud its just like :S)
the funny thing was that whenever there was something corny in the movie, i laughed really hard, and it didnt take anything away from the movie. i thought they did a good job. the vampires were really amaing, the way that they looked like creepy, pale, and seriously beautiful. idk about bella though, she was just not ever how i imagined so i could really never get over that. all of the cullen actors were amazing, they played their parts sooo well and were very convincing.
over a year ago DISTRACT-A-BEE said…
Really? I thought it was an excellent use of my time, I haven't laughed so hard in a while.
over a year ago divergirl5396 said…
It was funny and good i loved it. so what it wasnt just like the book who cares
over a year ago Seleh said…
I completely agree with you =P
My boyfriend went with me, and he was in the middle of reading it. After the movie, he refuses to finish the book, it ruined it that much for him. He thinks they basically made a mockery out of what Twilight was supposed to be, which I agree with. The movie did have SO, SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

so sad. And the thing is, I know it sucked, and when New Moon comes out, I really don't want to go see more horrible acting and butchering of the story, but I'm going to have to just because I am a fan of the book. I know I'll most likely be disappointed by that as well =[

Honestly, if they weren't going to do it SPECTACULAR, OVER THE TOP, FLAT OUT AMAZING, they shouldn'tve even bothered making the movie, because it's just ruining it for me.
over a year ago HyphyShavon said…
It seems mostly that people who actually read the book were disappointed by the movie and the non-readers loved it.
I had gone to the Midnight showing with a group of friedns-two of which who never read the book, one who was in the middle of reading it, and three others who had read it way before a movie was in the works.
Of course, the "newbies" (if you will) could not comprehend our distatste for the film.
I've seen Kristen & Robert in other movies and they weren't bad, but in teh roles of Bella and Edward-I must say they did HORRIBLY! I feel they came nowhere remotely close to the emotion Bella & Edward feel for each other.
& every single time a "stare down" occured-me and my friends were laughing out loud-especially when Billy & Edward grill each other (lmao)
The just threw in as much as they could within two hours...so sad.
Assuming New Moon will be done by the samw writers/diresctors, I'm pretty sure it won't do as well as Twilight did-which means there's gonna be no chance for Eclipse...

As for Brittany333's comment: Just because you're a fan of a book doesn't mean that you have to like Hollywood's protrayl of it.
People had expectations for the movie and in a good majority of theirs, they were let down, so they're just expressing their opinions---or did you forget that eveyone's entitled to their own?
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago hayleyhoo said…
Can i just say i haven't seen the film but if your going to slag off the film even though you've gone in specifically thinking of the book then you are definitely not going to enjoy the film at all
it is impossible for them to stick to the book seeing as the book is 500 pages long and they had to cut it down to a 100 page script and if they stuck in all the romance scenes then they wouldn't have many people who hadn't read the book go see it they were also trying to make it more appealing for guys as well as girls so you've got to cut them some slack
from what i've seen of the film i think it looks brilliant and cant wait to see it
over a year ago twilightchristi said…
I knew the movie was not going to be as good as the book. I knew I was going to be disappointed. I had no idea that I would be that disappointed. The problem with the movie is it is way out of order and they rushed everything. You cannot feel the love. It is suppose to be a love story and you get no feel for that. I think that if you had not read the book you would be lost during the movie and if you read the book then you were disappointed. I have no clue how they are going to be making New Moon. It will be very interesting to see. New Moon is way longer then Twilight and they will probably just rush it also. I would like to know what people think they are going to do with it.
over a year ago frikn_random said…
I actually thought the movie was okay.
If I hadn't read the book it would have been really good. I didn't try to compare it to the book I think that's why.
over a year ago xtreblemakerx said…
i can't understand why we follow the same patterns.
a good book comes out, everyone cheers, anticipates the movie to the point of pain, and then hurls flames at it the next day because the scenes are "all wrong".
honestly, books and movies should ALWAYS be considered as separate entities with one based upon the other.
of course everything that happened in the book won't happen in the movies. and of course, a director may have a different interpretation of the book then you did, but really.
i don't see the problem here.
if you saw the movie and watched it through with unstudied an air as possible, I'm sure you would not be so disappointed.
Their job is not to embody your imagination onto the screen. their job is to take the plot line and come of with a whole world around it.
the problem is that every single moment, we compare and draw conclusions. and in the event that too much of the movie contrasts with our own personal image, we decide it isn't worthy of cinema.
so this edward is a little less graceful, and this bella can't form complete sentences.

what exactly are we trying to achieve here?
it really wasn't that bad if you step back and watch it with uncriticizing eyes.
its a good move. it isn't twilight word-for-word, but it's a decent movie.

over a year ago Elize34 said…
I haven't seen the movie yet (it comes out in my country january 9th) but I have seen the trailers. I think the actor playing Edward is amazing but I don't like the actress playing Bella, from what I've seen from the trailer her acting is not that good.
Well it's not JUST the butchering of the story. Many movie critics have even said the acting was HORRIFIC. Maybe I could have enjoyed it even with the story all out of place, if only the acting was decent. But it wasn't. Edward sounded really stupid, all the time, and Bella seemed to always have this like. blank look on her face.

We know that the movie and the book can't be word for word, but what about the important parts of the book? She never mentioned 'doing it', as you all know who have read it, Bella is really into that topic all four books, and they hardly even addressed their vampire lifestyle. Just brushed over it. And she never asked how to become a vampire, which we who have read the book all know that that is also one of her main topics through out all the books.

I didn't expect it to be Twilight the book word for word, but my God I expected at least some effort and care put into it, in which there was none. No care for the story. I feel they made a mockery out of it, just wanting our money.

Fuckin' hollywood.
over a year ago xxteegzxx said…
I read someone here said that if we are really die hard fans we should love the movie even if it did suck. Thats insane.

I adore these books they were amazing. I knew as soon as I saw the trailer that it wasn't going to be great the choice of actors I could tell from the trailer that the actor chosen for Bella was dull and boring.

And my theories were proven correct. I can't believe that Stephenie Meyer would let someone Butcher her amazing books like this movie has.

I believe this could have been the next Harry Potter phenomenon if it was taken with care and actually followed the storyline atleast. But honestly this movie was pretty much nothing like the book.

The whole time they looked terrified of eachother and constipated. They hardly spoke and the most romantic emotional bits were either cut out or made to look as though Edward was a creepy stalker.

Everyone laughed when Edward said I watch you when you sleep and "so the line fell in love with the lamb" This movie isn't a comedy and I can't get over how disappointing it is.

It could have been so amazing if it was taken with care.

I went with two people who hadn't read the books and they left the Cinema going WTF? They hated it and they hadn't even read the books. I also heard everyone around me talking and saying OMG that was awful.

I believe that this was one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen when it could have been the most amazing movie I have ever seen.
over a year ago luiza31 said…
the movie was great, but the book was better...
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Zzgirl said…
Twilight Movie=horrible/disappointing/creepy/I don't even want to think about it!

I am a huge fan of the Twilight book and series, I was so excited for the movie even though I knew that usually movies taken from books aren't that great. but i though "Twilight is so popular they have to do at least a decent job on it" BOY was i wrong! I don't have say everything because a lot of you have already posted exactly what i thought! :D When the makers went back and watched it didn't they SEE how BAD it was?! I mean they left so much out didn't they even think about what an uproar it would case in the Twilight community? Robert has the look for Edward, i wont lie, I can't really think of another actor who has the "Universal Look" for the character. YUCK he was terrible in it for reasons that have already been mentioned. It is so sad because they did not even put any LoVe into it. The book is like a romance lets be honest. The movie was like a comedy! I have seen critics talk about the "Chemistry" between Robert and whats-her-face, but in the movie there was none. I was looking forward to the relationship between Alice and Bella, in the book they were best friends. in the movie they barely said two words to eachother. :'(

Overall it was a disgrace. They can't make a movie off of such a Great book and just F it up. I heard that they got a new director for New Moon, they are also replacing Jacob with someone taller.

Also to Brittany333,
Just because someone loves the Twilight book doesn't mean that they have to like "anything positive about them". that is just..god i can't believe that there are ppl that actually think that that. I have my opinion and u have urs. lets just leave it at that.
peace
over a year ago aorticseeker1 said…
I have to sya movie and book, they are both good but i would love to see the blood typing... it was sad catherine didnt put it on the movie.. but both are great.. love to see new moon btw i saw the movie 18 times and read the book 10 times...
over a year ago 3liiiiin said…
How can you think the movie was horrble? :O
It was awesomee, best movie ever! :)
And I'm sure next movie will be even better.
over a year ago aituen1 said…
thank you!! so i didn't know a/b twilight until the movie came out and i saw the preview and was intrigued and I almost saw the movie first b/c i love vampire things and was so excited but luckily i read all the books first and saw it on bootleg. Thank God I did that! first off I more than agree w/kjfrncs. So I have a really good memory (not to sound full of myself or anything) and so i remember a lot of the details of the book and yes, i know it can't be perfect and you can't fit everything into the movie but this film was atrocious. It skipped waaay to many parts that could easily be seen as insignificant but are actually pivotal b/c they establish the building relationship btwn edward and bella. so like most fans I mean I fell in love w/ the books and read them all in DAYS i was so obsessed so I am a HUGE HUGE fan too so i had high expectations and maybe am a little harsh in my qualms w/ the film but i think it's mostly b/c it was so bad that it made it easier to just pick on everything. So here's my analysis: the movie DID NOT stay true w/ the book at all. The first book is amazing b/c its about the progression of bella and edwards relationship. It builds which is also what's so great about the book overall. The first 40-50min of the movie was so rushed it didn't make sense at all! first he hates for no reason, then they're friends and talking, and then 5min later they're confessing their undying love for each other! They missed so many key moments. Also I loved the books b/c this is honestly the most realistic portrayal of vamps/the supernatural world that i've come across in a while and in the book everything just came of really cheesey. I think that's why so many ppl like other than the love story, but it's believability, it kind of leaves you thinking that this world can some how exist. Just the little things like setting it in a place that's real like Forks, using a real Native AMerican tribe that exists, and also other scenes like when she google's vampires-very realistic. But one thing that was cheesy was the makeup. Was Carlisle's makeup a joke? When i finally saw in the theaters (trying to give it another chance) people started laughing when he appeared on the screen he looked so bad. Kind of reminded me of attacking my sister w/ baby powder as a kid. Not to mention the added scenes like the people disappearing mysteriously...totally unnecessary they could've used that time to put in other scenes like the bloodtyping scene, them planning to hang out b/c she lied about having to go to Seattle but hiking instead, Edward meeting bella's dad, etc. For me, the meadow scene was so amazing in the book and horribly portrayed in the movie, also Mike wasn't done justice either w/ him and Edward being rivals and all. What i mean is that they have tension, they're rivals, and it didn't show that. Even the house they gave Bella was off to me. I didn't think it belonged in a neighborhood. In the book it describes her house as having a forest like right across from it-i kinda imagined it being a modest 2 story house on the side of a two-lane road, and it being like a dark brown woodsy color and having trees surrounding its sides and back, a small front yard, and across the street on the other side of the 2 lane road there's a small hill that has the beginnings of the forest on the top of it that leads further into the vast wooded area. B/c remember she goes exploring in the woods or whatever. Anyways that's just me. Also, the James situation was also rushed, my friends who didn't read the books said that they just didn't get it b/c it all just came out of nowhere. The only things they did get right are the actress who played Bella (spot on, the only other person who MIGHT have been able to fill her shoes is Alexis Bledel from Gilmore Girls), Charlie (loved him, very believable but they may think to develop him and Bella's relationship a little more...), Alice (pretty spot on), Emmett (loved Emmett in the books and the guy that played him was perfect), Jacob (damn near perfect for me), they also got the secondary characters pretty okay like Mike, except I though Angela was a little too out there in the book she's like a mouse very quiet and not as out there as the girl in the film but whatever. Hopefully the new director will be truer to the book. Wow, that felt good to keep on my chest. Thanks for listening.

After reading some things online i'm a little scared a/b New Moon they're already talking about changing it and putting more Edward into it which doesn't seem right. The point of the 1st book was the establish Edward and Bella, the 2nd book is about Bella and Jacob. Period. It's about the evolution of THEIR complicated relationship. To add more Edward wouldn't make sense. It's not a/b him at all. Just stay true to the book, PLEASE!

Sorry for ranting. I'm not a jerk, I just really want it be good. I know it sounds like i'm just ripping it apart but I'm just really frustrated over the whole thing. : )
over a year ago amalietheapple said…
sick
Yeah, I agree that the movie wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Not that I had high expectations for it to begin with. The performance of the main actors was wooden and frankly, I didn't think there was any emotion at all put into it. I didn't really like that Bella was narrating the story, and she hardly said anything at all for the whole movie. It's hard to believe that someone so impassive could love another person so passionately, even if it is Edward. No emotion at all! The book was so much better, but usually that's the way it goes. The Harry Potter movies were so much better than the Twilight one, because they put some time into it. I couldn't believe that the Twilight cast started filming last march, and it came out in november. Usually it takes much longer to make a movie. No wonder it was so bad.
over a year ago adventure_24_7 said…
Wow, before I begin my bashing and commentary (which is the sole reason for me joining this website) I should provide a background of events. I just bought the book because of the hype. I could not put it down and read it in 2 days. Great job Stephanie Meyer, but you should stick to writing and leave the movie making to the people who know how to do that. After finishing the book this morning, I popped the movie in and…well I must have yelled at the TV due to how bad it is. I also watched the deleted scenes and a little bit of "The making of" crap. This movie needed a different director. Yes, the director stayed true to the book. That is great, but in my head scenes are different and have an essence the book provided the reader. I suppose this could have be excused due to the lack of funds, who knows, but this was rushed. Cheap everything in order to make more money. In my opinion the process of making the movie like the book seemed to be the cause of everything bad!! Lastly, but the most important; this movie reeked with bad acting...Kristen Stewart was not a strong enough person to portray Bella, Robert Pattinson seemed more like a whiny bitch rather than a strong, wise, emotionally conflicted individual, and the atmosphere they provided when around one another was not love…it was, hell, I do not know a word for something so crappy. The supporting actors and actresses were perfect. Charlie Swan was different than I pictured, but he did the best at portraying the character written on the pages (not that it was a real challenge). I cannot write anymore, because the frustration is too draining. I am going to pick up the second book and start reading. If there is a second film, I will wait for a knock off copy on my deployment to Iraq. I hope this movie is redone with a new bella and Edward. Other than that, keep the others…what a disappointment.
over a year ago SasukeUchiha said…
Really? I think the books are the worst thing to ever happen to fiction, and I thought the movie was amazing, but they could have lengthened it, or chose some different scenes. I read to page 100 of Twilight and then I could not read anymore.
over a year ago LinaJC said…
laugh
I LOVED THE MOVIE!!!
over a year ago mammamia100 said…
i agree! i mean the books are DISGUSTING! NASTY! AND I NEVER WANT TO READ THEM! and not becuase i didn't like the movie cause i thought it was the best movie ever!
over a year ago Coco425 said…
kjfrncs you basically took the words out of my mouth. I personally just started to get into twilight. I read and finished the first book yesterday then immediately ordered the movie on directv. Big mistake. I was so freaking MAD!!!! The way they portrayed Edward and Bella and their romance was so dreadful. They didn't give any time for the characters to develop like they did in the book. The acting was horrible. There was no passion between them and Kristen Stewart's expressions never changed. Bella and Edward's expressions were a HUGE part of the story and they basically did nothing to utilize it in the movie. And the minor characters (Eric, Jessica, Tyler,Mike, and Angela) were bimbos. I really don't think Eric in the book was an Asian scenester who had an emo haircut. WTF is up with that??? UGH! I was so disappointed with the movie that I was near tears when it was finished. It was an insult to the book and I am definitely NOT going to see the sequel. (But I am going to keep reading the books)

Hollywood sucks
over a year ago onlyone said…
I am so happy i indured the shun and wierd looks from every robert pattinson and twilight fan for REFUSING to watch the movie. Especially when i was covering my eyes and blocking out the noise when the commercials came on tv..
over a year ago onlyone said…
I knew that the movie would completely butcher and gut out the beauty and amazingness of the book, and turn it nothing but into a fad.

I completely agree with everything you said.
over a year ago sonicamystar said…
meh
yeah I love the books they were awesome but sometimes it felt like trying to get kids to act. I mean it wasnt that good
over a year ago Fairstepshaven said…
tongue
I've only read the first book but i think the Twilight movies are awesome! So what if they arent like the books?
over a year ago Fairstepshaven said…
angry
I dont give a crap if the movies arent like the books. ya get whatcha get people!
over a year ago phaoontje said…
hmmm
I'm not totally dissapointed, it has it's nice points. But the beginning, I don't really like. They changed to much in the classroom scene. Next to that, Bella is almost the entire time out of breath, so it seems. And I don't feel the passion between bella and edward on the screne. It is not to bad, but I'm not sattisfied. Thank God for the amazing books!!
over a year ago misapiyopiyo2 said…
Twilight is very nice movie. I have never read books. so,I want to read books.