Lisa Edelstein Lisa Quotes

pietruszka posted on Feb 16, 2010 at 08:22PM
I think it would be nice to collect them, since she says so many beautiful things.

Like:
"Every human being is normal, no matter if they're a hooker, or transgender, or lesbian or an orthodox Jew. It all comes from the same heart."

Lisa Edelstein 9 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
heart
^ That is such a beautiful quote.
over a year ago LuvLisa said…
smile
If I remember correctly, she said it in Roma Fiction festival last year. And I think we didn't have many pics from that evetn, so sad:(:(
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago pietruszka said…
From Precious Stone:

“I like adventures and people who live with the volume on high.”

“Knitting was the only thing that kept me sane.”

“There’s constant stimulation in New York — always something to do, something to see, something to be scared of.”

“But you can recover. This person did not damage you for life.”

“You are not a damaged human being because of this experience.”

“What really pisses me off is the abstinence plan. I can’t even….It’s so stupid….It’s so unrealistic. Oh, it just makes me angry. And it just creates more problems because it makes sex more of a secret and more of a back alley thing. This is the problem! This is exactly the problem.”

“You have to work so hard at bringing yourself back to reality. You basically have to protect yourself from yourself and that’s not easy.”

“But kids cannot be taught that sex is a sin. Abstinence might work in one-hundreth of one percent of the cases, but even those kids at some point are gonna go get fucked.”

“I spend a lot of time alone. I’m a loner.”

“Ultimately you learn the most when you’re doing your job,”

“There needs to be passion behind what you’re doing or it’s not worth it,”

“Does the Queen of the Night ever really die?”

You turned 40 this year; did it feel like a milestone?
”It certainly is a moment in your life where you reflect. One thing you realize is that there are ideas that you’re given by your parents about what life is supposed to look like, and then there’s the life you make for yourself, which doesn’t necessarily go in the same direction. I expected to have children by now but I don’t, and yet, the life I have is exactly what I wanted. In terms of desiring children, it’s hard to know if it’s your own desire as a woman, or if it’s cultural, or hormonal or physiological, some biological drive… I have a hard time finding “me” in all those things. I’ve decided if I end up not having a baby of my own and I still have this tremendous urge to be a mother, there are plenty of children who need mothers”

“I make choices every day about how I want to look and feel.”

“I’ve been accused of needing to do a one-woman show.”

“And I’ve always loved people who struggle with being different one way or another,”

“I was adopted by a neighborhood cat who decided that I was ‘it’.”

“I think I always loved animals, but this was the beginning of my having feelings of extreme protectiveness. I got really angry at people. Those situations had already happened. There was nothing I could do except learn.”

“For whatever reason, I can deal much better with human tragedy than I can with animal tragedy. I’m sure that requires years of therapy to figure that out. I just feel that we are their caretakers.”

“Relationships are difficult to begin with but an interspecies one is just a miracle. My animals are incredibly intuitive, loving creatures, and I learn a lot from them. We have a very communicative relationship, my animals and me, and I talk to them all the time.”

“I think it’s amazing that two different species can communicate somehow… even though they can’t do it in the way they are most comfortable.”

“I’m totally pro-gore.”

“I can be as kind as I want to be.”

“It’s like being on a roller-coaster in the dark. You just hold on and go.”

“I’m an actress. That’s about as close to being a hooker as you can get.”

“Art arises out of struggle.”

“You use pages of yourself to fill a character.”

“I found that in my life and my career, the things that come my way and have happened to me personally have always been far more interesting than what I could come up with myself.”

“I did everything I could to make people stare at me.”

“I’m much more playful than she is. I behave younger and I have a different kind of energy completely. I’m usually ricocheting off the set walls until they say ‘Action’ and then I’m this serious person. She wears skirts that you can’t even take long strides in. It’s great playing that part of myself with her, but I think most people are surprised when they meet me that we’re so completely different.”

From Rachel Rays; Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner with Lisa Edelstein:

“I eat. Every day. but I don’t do the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner thing.”

“No day would be complete without chocolate. My favorite: Vosges Creole bar—it’s dark chocolate with cocoa nibs. Holy Toledo, that thing is good.”

“They used to call me “rabbit” when I was a kid. I hate mushrooms, though. I apologize to fungi lovers, but this way, there’s more for you!”

Could you imagine working with a person like Dr. House in real life?

“He’s totally my type: brilliant, screwed up, difficult and strong willed. I’m sure he’d be hell to work for, worse to work with and a horrible choice for a boyfriend. When’s dinner?”

“Stress causes much of back pain. You get afraid, your muscles lock. It’s a horrible cycle that gets deeper and deeper. So I began yoga, and within five months I was pain-free. Now I can actually balance on the top of my head!”

“I’m a Jewish doctor without having to go to medical school.”

Growing up in New York, Lisa Edelstein thought she’d be a dancer. “I was good but not great,” she admitted. “Unless you’re going to be great, it’s not worth it. Acting too is hard. It has to be the only thing you really want to do.” Lisa’s magazine clips include lots of fashion shots. I asked if she has a favorite designer. “Fashion changes so rapidly, I don’t stick to any one designer,” she said. “I love offbeat clothes.” Lisa added that her mother often used to send her home to change her get-ups. “Now,” she said, “sometimes when I see myself in a reflection, I send myself home to change.”

“I have been accused of being the Florence Nightingale of dogs. I can make meat lovers crave salad.”

Favorite gadget?
“iPod’s changed my whole world. I carry one everywhere and now there is a soundtrack to my life.”

Describe your perfect day…
“Playing with my dogs at the beach, a beautiful spring day in Manhattan, being in love anywhere…”

“The hardest part about being vegan is shoes. I mean, really, that’s the only difficult part, finding shoes that don’t have leather on them.”"I think it’s really important for celebrities to use their power of money and fame to get their voices out there. It’s funny to me that we’re expected to keep quiet just because of who we are. Why do I lose my right to speak my mind because I’m famous? People criticize Michael Moore, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon for standing up for what they believe in, but that’s what they do. They never pretended to be anyone else.”

“There are so many good roles for women out there, I don’t understand it when people say the role choices are fewer as you get older. I find the opposite to be true — there are less good roles out there for the hot 20-year-olds because the normal girl parts just aren’t interesting.”

“I was one of those people who was literally famous for doing nothing . . . I was always a part of the club scene in New York and eventually was able to produce my own musical about AIDS ["Positive Me"] because of the audience and press I received as a club kid. Eventually I was called in to screen test for this MTV show because word was out I was this neat club kid turned playwright. I got the job and basically was humiliated on the air every day. I’m an actor, not a hostess. It was horrifying. I had all this baby fat, so I was just HUGE on camera . . . I still can’t watch one frame of the show. Then I got all this hate mail because I couldn’t play the part right . . . Luckily the show got canceled after seven months. I was so relieved.”

“My dogs remind me that the simple pleasures in life are enough to make a day great.”

“There are so many good roles for women out there, I don’t understand it when people say the role choices are fewer as you get older. I find the opposite to be true — there are less good roles out there for the hot 20-year-olds because the normal girl parts just aren’t interesting.”

“I think Cuddy really loves House, and I don’t think she loves him in a way that limits how she has to love him, as a friend or as a lover or as a person who works for her. There’s a great deal of appreciation there and respect. He’s horrible to deal with, but he’s worth it. He’s worth every second.”

“I’d say we should have a one-night stand that fails miserably. But that’s just me.”

“I think that would be amazing. It would be great. I think it will take a while to get there, though. I think at the moment [the] tension is partly sexual and partly intellectual. I think they’re two equals. That’s a very sexy thing by itself.”

“House is brilliant, tall, has beautiful eyes and has an incredible wit. Who wouldn’t find that sexy?”
Lisa Edelstein: (about the possibility of changing her name) It's not very glamorous, and I lost out in the past because it was too "ethnic", but most of my parents' families were killed in the Holocaust, and it would be denying my family line. It didn’t stop me. I have a great career.
Lisa Edelstein: (after doing the voice of Lex Luther‘s sidekick on the animated Superman series) I love doing animation. For American Dad next season, I play a crazed woman from JDate
Lisa Edelstein: I always assumed I'd be doing toothpaste commercials. The problem was, I always made commercial copy sound psychotic. I guess that's how I found my way here.
On playing a single mom.
"Life has changed for Cuddy since she became a foster parent. I don't think that anyone can prepare for raising a child. I think it's one of those jobs that is far more overwhelming than you could ever expect and far more satisfying than you can ever expect. For me, just being how old I am, I know I don't want to be a single mom. I really would rather make it a two-person job. But I've also come to terms with not being a mother at all. I'm actually really good with either direction that my life can take as being a valid experience. But as Cuddy, I feel I'm representing single working moms and I feel they're unsung heroines."

On taking risks in life.
"You can't do things unexpected in life if you're not willing to take a risk, and it's easier to risk your own life than it is for your parent to watch you take risks. It's very, very hard for parents to see children doing things that aren't a solid path. I've been through that."

On being confident.
"I was pretty shy when I was young, but you get self confidence. I think it just builds over time. I've always thrown myself into different kinds of experiences, sometimes into really bad things. But, you grow up. You become more of a woman and you know yourself. I think knowing yourself is a wonderful thing especially when you're in your 40's and you're kind of in your skin. Life is not so confusing anymore."
What shaped her expectations of relationships.
"I don't think I'm different from anybody else. We get it from Hollywood, we get it from books and movies, and that's unfortunate because it's really not what it's like. I think a lot of people have to spend a lot of time recovering from make-believe. In real life, coming to terms with a human being as a human being who isn't a fantasy object can be both disappointing and remarkably rewarding, but it's an extra step that we all have to take."

Her own take.
"I don't think just because people are together that they're happy. I don't think relationships necessarily make people happy. You just are happy or you're not happy. So I think if Cuddy and House ever to get together, there would be no loss of whatever personal misery they might be going through."
From spot motto thread:

"I am not a gambler, but I am a shopper"
"I don't find it very interesting to play the good girl."
"1. Describe yourself as if you were writing a personals ad.
Hot and bothered yogini with very flexible hips looking for brilliant and hilarious guru/master of the universe. Must like dogs. "