Whoopi Goldberg "Whoopi Goldberg's opinion on the N word on The View"

princessfelicia posted on Aug 03, 2008 at 07:12PM
Did she say the rite thing? Did she approach the topic in the best way? Did she attack Elisabeth once again? Tell us what u think guys.

Whoopi Goldberg 6 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago princessfelicia said…
Well, for me, I think the ladies stated what they thought of the usage of the word in great words. Take Sherry for example, when Barbara asked her if she could use the word, Sherry said No u cant. U can see from there what her views is on the word. People should know its insulting to use it and it depends on who u say it to, to decide what effect it will have on that person.
Whoopi did not attack Elisabeth people of the media! I tell u Elisabeth just broke down crying because she has had to deal with her little kid and the usage of the word many times. Elisabeth said it was hard for she as a mom to tell her kids that to use the word, is bad. She says it is hard to do so when african american artistes out there are using the word freely to express themselves. When white children hear it they might think it is safe to use it. But they need their parents to tell them its wrong. I like how Whoopi told Elisabeth that if she agrees on her children using the word in their house, then she must explain to them that they shouldnt use it outside to anyone.
Simply stated, Elisabeth then said how its not like if we are living in two words. Whoopi then told her that we are living in two worlds, Im sorry, but that's the way it is.Then Elisabeth said “Am I supposed to tell Grace, okay, here are some words you can use, here are some words you cannot. But your friend over there can use it…?” It seemed unfair on her side doesnt it?
Whoopi then explained to Elisabeth that the N word is a word that has meaning only if u give it meaning. She is rite! There are many words that have double meanings. Elisabeth then said that “When we live in a world where pop culture uses that term, and we’re trying to reach a place where we feel like we’re in the same place, where we feel like we’re in the same world, how are we supposed to them move forward if we keep using terms that bring back that pain?”
I mean, Im colored and my fwend use the word over here among each other. its an indian black thing over here in my country. U cant call a black person by the N word here and we are all colored! Indians arent white but still we cant use the word, u see? What happens here? Its becoming so crucial! to me, I think it should not be used at all.
What we've got to understand is that the love on THe VIew among these ladies is so great that they can get personal sometimes, but that doesnt mean that they are attacking each other! Whoopi and Elisabeht have one on ones but they learn from them dont they? And so do we.
Here is what Whoopi told Elisabeth “I’m sorry it’s the way it is Elisabeth. This is the way it is ... what I need you to understand is the frustration that goes along when you say we live in the same world. It isn’t balanced. And we would like it to be. But you have to understand, you have to listen to the fact that we’re telling you, there are issues, there are huge problems that still affect us. And you’ve got to know this if you want to know us.”
"My mother couldnt vote long ago but ur mother could, so we live in complete different worlds"