Harry Potter Opinion Article

My Thoughts On The Fan Reaction To Dumbledore's "Outing"

Opinion by PotterGal posted over a year ago
Ever since J.K.Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was gay on October 19th i've had to question the fact about why this piece of information became
front page news.
Firstly to put my own opinion out, i personally think that this was a very brave thing of JKR to say and whilst i support this statement of hers, it doesn't change my perception of the books. Dumbledore is still the wise, old Headmaster who can make mistakes just like any of us, whom i learned to love over the course of the books.
However, there are many fans who now think that they can "never read the books in the same way again". I just say, why not? Homosexuality is
growing in our communties these days and i would have thought that most people would be open to it by now. Fans have to get over the fact that
DUMBLEDORE IS GAY and move on with their life.
I see no reason as to why this piece of information was all over radio stations and newspapers for a while after JKR revealed it. Just because Dumbledore is gay and in love with Grindelwald does not make him any different than before but was he in newspapers before? No, and he definitely would not have been if JKR had just made a simple statement such as that Dumbledore was in love with Minerva in response to the question about Dumbledore's love life.
Another thing that i find ridiculous is people doubting Dumbledore's fondness for Harry. It does not make any sense to say that there is an unhealty realtionship bewtween the two at all. If Dumbledore was straight and was very fond of Hermione, people would not say that there is "too much fondness" going on there because they would just see it in a non-sexual way. But because Dumbledore is gay that just HAS to mean that he had sexual feelings for Harry. It doesn't make any sense at all.
So, now that my rant on this topic is over i would just like to say that i that i think people should still continue to read the books as they did before they knew this information and after all, it doesn't affect the plot of the books at all and that's what's important.

chel1395 said:
You made a very good point, pottergal. I'm actually not surprised that so many people have taken offense at this, because people will ALWAYS find something to take offense at. First, Harry Potter was promoting witchcraft. Now, it's promoting homosexuality. I try my best not to worry about what other people think and focus on people who appreciate Harry Potter for all its wonderfulness. :D Anyway, great article!!

johnminh said:
It's sad to see people's homophobia and personal insecurities keep them from enjoying what is still a good book. If it were revealed that Frodo or Luke was gay, would people then decry Lord of the Rings or Star Wars? Of course, maybe that's a moot point considering how close Frodo and Samwise are ... ;-)

miiamya said:
great article! my feelings exactly!

and lol, johnminh

I agree with you. I'm by no means gay, but I'm not against homosexuality either. It's like johnminh said, it's their loss for not enjoying it the same way. People are way too ignorant nowadays.

I completely agree... I don't understand why everyone keeps fixating on that point. To me it's still Dumbledore, yeah he's gay but so?? It doesn't change his personality in any ways.. It's still the same headmaster that we got to know throughout the books. With or without the information that J.K. Rowling gave us about him...I still view him as Dumbledore. And i'm so sad he died :S although I do understand why he had to die...

Cinders said:
True, true. It shouldn't change the way you view the character at all. And if it does, I think that means you should take a longer look at yourself before you go around condemning JKR.

TweenaCat said:
Good point! It's not like he's suddenly become gay, he was always gay. We just didn't know about it. He's still the same as he's always been.

solsis said:
Yeah I a agree!! especially with the part that people now questions dumblendore and harry friendship! People that are gay can have guy friends!! it really bothers me because like you said if he was straight people wouldnt be saying the same thing about hermione and dumblendore! But whatever people always find something to critisize and make a big deal about...

Great article! The only thing I would say is that I think Dumbledore's sexuality is relevant to the story, especially after reading boos seven. I still see Dumbledore in the same way, but I think that learning that he is gay, and obviously struggling with his sexuality explains alot more about the way he acted as a teenager, and as described in the seventh book. I think it's great that JK disclosed this fact, as I think it adds lots more depth to Dumbledore's character, and in my opinion true Harry Potter fans wouldnt change their opinion of him because of this. I also have to say that I hate the way people are now commenting on Harry and Dumbledore's relationship now, as if there was something more to it... As PotterGal rightly points out, no one would have questioned a straight Dumbledore being fond of Hermione! That was my one concern about JK's announcement, and she said said herself "Oh the fanficton!" :D

i totally agree with tinydancer! after i figured out that Dumbledore is gay i had to read book 7 again because i was hoping to see something between the Dumbledore and Grindelwald relationship that i haven't seen before. but i think that this piece of information makes the books even more interesting!

and... i know it has been said by everyone else before... but thinking that Harry was more to Dumbledore than just a friend is just ridiculous!!

adavila said:
even though the author said this i cant think of any part of the books that shows that dumbledore is gay

Cinders said:
Does there HAVE to be a point that says he's gay? There's no point in the book that shows he's straight either. He's actually rather asexual, in that we don't really think about it. So what does it matter if the author wrote the character with this in mind?

And actually, I questioned why Dumbledore trusted Grindewald so emphatically-- until the announcement. Love clouds judgment, it made SO much more sense.

lol. So what if he`s gay? It doesn`t make any difference at all. lol.

It will never change my views of the book, and I think it was a little stupid of J.K because why would we care? The true potter fans could find out anything shocking about the books and we'd still stand by her.

Second-Even though Harry Potter is my life and so much more, why would any one care if he's gay? He's not real (as much as i'd like him to be) so I just dont get why a few people are taking this way to far.

I don't think it's a huge deal. But I kind of think she did it for publicity, which I don't like.
Still to me, he's always been and always will be the wise, old, father-like figure to Harry :)

elanor260 said:
I have no particular problem with Dumbledore being gay, in that I don't think there's anything wrong with homosexuality. But I don't think he actually was, anymore than he was straight. His role in the books isn't romantic at all; it's more of a guidelike role. So I don't think he should be gay, nor should he be straight. There just isn't any reference to romance around him at any point. Plus, she really shouldn't have had to tell us that separately; if she wanted that, she should have told us through the stories.

H2ORikki1 said:
i dont care if dumbledores gay b/c my personal opinion is that it doesnt matter. i mean think about it this way....if your brother was gay wouldnt you still love them the same?may disagree a little but still love them?the reason i say this is because actually my bro. is gay and i still love em' till the end of the Earth.think about that if ur one to say EWWW DUMBLEDORE IS GAY!! OMG ILL NEVER READ HP AGAIN!!b/c it doesnt matter guys.grow up.

Jenny93 said:
you make complete sense pottergal. i agree with you!

Irina92 said:
i simply don't understand what about Dumbledore being gay has to do with the HP series! This piece of information is completely irrelative. But I also don't understand why J.K. Roaling said that too! I mean why should we care about it?? Dumbledore was (and is for the ones who hasnt finished reading the 6th book)a wise man, a genious. This matters, not his sexual preferences!! I mean, come on! Not once reading the books again I thought about it! So please try to mind about more serious stuff.

PUMA a été créée en 1948 en<strong>Basket Puma Junior</strong> Allemagne Herzogenaurach, chinois PUMA pour Puma, Cougar sens, une production basée en Allemagne, de chaussures et vêtements de sport de grandes sociétés multinationales. Adolf Dassler c'est la combinaison du nom propre et das Adi Dassler Brothers seront en 1948 a changé son nom à adidas, les deux frères se séparèrent<strong>Chaussure Puma Pas Cher</strong> de ce frère Rudolf Dassler mis en place une autre société PUMA, la même que la direction de l'adidas principalement dans la production d'articles de sport,<strong>Basket Puma Homme</strong> à la fois d'un concurrent.
Today has 61-year-old sportswear brand, <strong>Homme Puma</strong>with the first line of appeal and influence in the world. PUMA fifty years of history of a page written in the great sporting achievements. PUMA accompanied by world number one Billy to enter<strong>Puma Clyde</strong> the World Cup championship, accompanied by tennis players Baker rule the roost in the grass of Wimbledon. Working with top athletes and continue to pursue the latest technology to <strong>Puma Chaussure</strong>produce the best sports equipment. Founder Rudolf Dassler in 1948, PUMA, the German brand, PUMA has been for decades among the key players in the sports world in recent years, the more successful pop / sports, jumped for the young favorite brands.<strong>Basket Puma</strong>